Special Ops Officer, British Gamer Compete in Real Life MW2 Pit Test

Lauren Admire

Rawrchiteuthis
Aug 8, 2008
Special Ops Officer, British Gamer Compete in Real Life MW2 Pit Test

When an ex-Special Forces soldier and an avid gamer face off in the Modern Warfare 2 Pit test, who will win?

Popular British program, The Gadget Show, created a real life mock-up of The Pit level in Modern Warfare 2 [http://www.amazon.com/Call-Duty-Modern-Warfare-Xbox-360/dp/B00269QLI8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278694263&sr=1-1]. Host Jason Bradbury challenged an ex-Special Forces soldier, codenamed Sid, to run through the real-life Pit course while Bradbury played the level on the Xbox 360.

The Pit test took about a week to complete and was recreated to exact specifications. The goal of the competition was to finish the Pit test with the fastest time, all the while shooting at the enemy targets and avoiding shooting civie targets. Would a highly trained Spec.Ops soldier be able to beat the time of an avid gamer? I won't reveal the results, you'll just have to watch the video yourself (UK folks will need to head over here [http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/challenge/jason-vs-special-forces] to watch the video):

Of course, the competition is really comparing apples to oranges. The skills necessary to complete a real-life Pit training course are completely different than the skills needed to play the game, but it was still really cool to see the two go head to head.

Personally, I'd love to see a recreation of the Kraken boss from Tomb Raider: Underworld [http://www.amazon.com/Tomb-Raider-Underworld-Xbox-360/dp/B0012N8WXQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=videogames&qid=1278962515&sr=1-1], though it might be difficult to find a big enough tank ... or a Kraken, for that matter.

Source: N4G [http://www.jasonbradbury.com/index.php/2010/03/we-built-mw2-for-real/]

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
ANd this proves... what?

Like you said, its comparing apples to oranges.

What if they reversed the roles?

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
Entertaining, but ultimately that's all it is.
I don't think they were trying to prove anything, however.

This would be like 'testing' Project Gotham or Gran Turismo against the Stig on Top Gear.

Fun to watch, though!

Darktau

Totally Ergo Proxy
Mar 10, 2009
And I still think the gadget show is a bunch of people who have no clue what the hell they are on about.

HentMas

The Loneliest Jedi
Apr 17, 2009
Twad said:
ANd this proves... what?

Like you said, its comparing apples to oranges.

What if they reversed the roles?
give a happy triguer modern warfare fan a real gun??

dear god man! are you nuts!?

he could go shoot a school!!!

AfterAscon

Tilting at WHARRGARBL
Nov 29, 2007
Vid was okay, but the soldier was always going to lose. MW is hardly realistic when running and gunning is common place.

Top Gear did something similar years ago when Jeremy Clackson set a lap time using a Honda NSX in Gran Turismo 4 at Laguna Seca, then actually went there and tried to beat his game time in the same cars. He failed. The vids probably on youtube.

EMFCRACKSHOT

Not quite Cthulhu
May 25, 2009
That SAS guy (I'm presuming he was SAS, i mean who else would you choose) was awesome.
one question, was that guy playing the game including his bonus's for accuracy? because if he was, then SAS guy may actually have won.
Also, 35 seconds isn't that impressive, i've done it faster :p

hamster mk 4

Apr 29, 2008
I curse the BBC for being so awesome. We don't get wierd stuff like this in the US unless we pay extra for the BBC channel, which my service provider doesn't even offer.

Sparrow

Feb 22, 2009
"This video contains content from Channel 5, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds..."

What the F Channel 5. I live in England, y'know.

Joe Deadman

Jan 9, 2010
http://fwd.five.tv/gadget-show/videos/challenge/jason-vs-special-forces
Theres a link if your British like me. Edit: ah its already in the OP but ill just leave it here for people who don't notice /edit.
Saw it earlier and while it was pretty awesome it doesn't really prove anything.

tsu-money

Jul 27, 2009
Caligulove said:
Entertaining, but ultimately that's all it is.
I don't think they were trying to prove anything, however.

This would be like 'testing' Project Gotham or Gran Turismo against the Stig on Top Gear.

Fun to watch, though!
I would pay good money to see this.

Obrien Xp

Sep 27, 2009
See, if those were live targets, the SAS guy wouldn't be dead, the gamer probably would.

Orcus The Ultimate

Nov 22, 2009
the big glasses guy is really dumb "gears of war" as an FPS ? WTF!

btw, hey i think i know who Sid is!

lol no not really....

Dirty Apple

Apr 24, 2008
Just to be a nit picker, I wonder if the soldier had any prior knowledge of the course. Because if he went into it blind, and was still only seconds behind the player, I'd call that pretty impressive. Most of the lowest time scores for a level like that are based more on repetition and memorization than reactions.

Marine Mike

Mar 3, 2010
Crap, crap, and crap.

Real gun was semi-auto and had a red-dot sight.
In-game gun was fully-auto with a holographic sight.

A good test would have been to see if the gamer could have done the real course in less than triple the time of the soldier.