Spector Made Deus Ex to "Shame His Peers"

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Andy Chalk said:
I'm also a bit surprised that there's not more reaction to CVG's take that Spector was frustrated over Thief forcing players into combat. Is that not, like, completely wrong?
Sounds like he just didn't "get" Thief in the same way I didn't "get" Deus Ex for the longest time. The stealth in Thief is SO much better than what was in Deus Ex. I feel like I'm just exploiting bad, blind AI in DE. In Thief, I feel like I'm just running around dumb, disinterested guards as a master thief. It works so much better.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
Deus ex is shit.
It was revolutionary because it had multiple ways to tackle a situation.
Anybody that played the game without killing anyone is lying.
And by killing I also imply knocking them unconscious and if he was trying to make TTLG ashamed then he failed,Again. It tried action,stealth and rpg formula all of which it failed to do correctly. The game most certainly is not the best game ever and is only worth 8 out of 10 when reviewed.

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Vibhor said:
Deus ex is shit.
And by killing I also imply knocking them unconscious and if he was trying to make TTLG ashamed then he failed,Again. It tried action,stealth and rpg formula all of which it failed to do correctly. The game most certainly is not the best game ever and is only worth 8 out of 10 when reviewed.
So it's shit because it's not perfect? And then you say it fails at everything it tries to accomplish and then give it an 8/10? You sound like a troll that shat himself mid-sentence.

Also, no, I don't do pacifist runs because they're not my thing. I don't think many people do pacifist runs at all. But the opportunity is definitely there, in the killphrases, the nanoaugmentations, the hacking, everything. Of course you have to kill a couple people, which I guess is a flaw (according to TVTropes, both people can be circumvented through one means or another). But in the grand scheme of things, almost everybody can be skipped, something more or less unprecedented in its time.

Vibhor

Aug 4, 2010
TiefBlau said:
So it's shit because it's not perfect? And then you say it fails at everything it tries to accomplish and then give it an 8/10? You sound like a troll that shat himself mid-sentence.

Also, no, I don't do pacifist runs because they're not my thing. I don't think many people do pacifist runs at all. But the opportunity is definitely there, in the killphrases, the nanoaugmentations, the hacking, everything. Of course you have to kill a couple people, which I guess is a flaw (according to TVTropes, both people can be circumvented through one means or another). But in the grand scheme of things, almost everybody can be skipped, something more or less unprecedented in its time.
Just because I gave it an 8 is the reason I am a troll?
I give it 8 for trying and the choices unlike other people who think the game is perfect and deserves a 9.5 minimum.
Its shit because it is way too overrated.
It has bad AI,bad gunplay and bad stealth.
Anyone who thinks this game could bring TTLG to shame is a pretty big idiot

TiefBlau

Apr 16, 2009
Vibhor said:
Just because I gave it an 8 is the reason I am a troll?
I give it 8 for trying and the choices unlike other people who think the game is perfect and deserves a 9.5 minimum.
Its shit because it is way too overrated.
It has bad AI,bad gunplay and bad stealth.
Anyone who thinks this game could bring TTLG to shame is a pretty big idiot
Rofl, I don't think you're quite getting what I'm saying.

Either you grade on a 3-point scale, or you strongly word everything to garner attention, i.e. trolling.

bladax

Apr 9, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
I don't think anyone can seriously say that the voice acting in DX wasn't terrible. It was. At best it was flat, at worst it was Hong Kong.
I got a hilariously weak justification for hong kongs acting. They were all trying to speak English when Chinese was their first language.

Also. Visitors should stay NEE DE MAAKET!!

Verp

Jul 1, 2009
I'm not sure if I like Spector, but that's highly irrelevant -- Deus Ex was practically made for me. Maybe it didn't score a perfect 10/10 on all areas, but either it was made for me, or I was made for it. I turn into a hyperactive ferret with OCD every time I play video games and Deus Ex happens to tickle some part of my brain that makes me overload.

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
Well played sir. Well played indeed. DX is one of my all time favorite games of all time favorite games ever ever.

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
mireko said:
Then explain Invisible War.

EXPLAIN, SPECTOR.
It honestly wasn't that bad? The story was continued quite well, the gameplay was stillfun and it still was better than most of the other crap coming out around the same.
They changed a few things that didn't work, yet they did that with Mass effect II and everyone praised Bioware, wtf?
Invisible War was not that bad and you could still approach everything with either stealth or fighting. Played Project: Snowblind? No? then quit bitching about invisible war...
-Tabs-

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Vibhor said:
Deus ex is shit.
I have to ask... did you play it when Deus ex was first released? I'm guessing not, from what you're saying.
-tabs-

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
mindlesspuppet said:
mireko said:

EXPLAIN, SPECTOR.
Invisible War wasn't terrible, it just had the misfortune of being the sequel to one of the best games ever made.

That aside. Deus Ex didn't preform to great commercially, Invisible War seemed like an attempt to dumb things down a bit a try to have a more mainstream appeal.
Exactly, it's mass effect 2 syndrome all over again, except this time everyone loved invisible war and I absolutely hated it.
-Tabs-

Daedalus1942

Jun 26, 2009
Atmos Duality said:
mireko said:

EXPLAIN, SPECTOR.
Simple: That game was made to shame himself.
Spector makes an interesting statement: After Ion Storm's first...release...(must..not...utter its name) I don't think Romero needed anyone's help in being shamed.
I actually liked Daikatana, but I was only 14 at the time and i did buy it for $10.
-Tabs-

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
mireko said:

EXPLAIN, SPECTOR.
I got that in the Deus Ex pack during the steam sale. And I tell ya, it's worth playing Invisible War just for how laughably bad it is.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
Verp said:
I'm not sure if I like Spector, but that's highly irrelevant -- Deus Ex was practically made for me. Maybe it didn't score a perfect 10/10 on all areas, but either it was made for me, or I was made for it. I turn into a hyperactive ferret with OCD every time I play video games and Deus Ex happens to tickle some part of my brain that makes me overload.
I hear you, DX was a revelation at it´s time. I think I played it 5 or 6 times since then.

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Invisible War wasn't that bad. The mistake was putting the Deus Ex name on it. Release it as a stand-alone game and you've got yourself a solid 8/10 action game. Make it the sequel to DX and, yeah, anything short of perfect perfection is FAIL. It's not fair but that's how it goes.

I began to wonder a year or so ago if maybe the passage of time hadn't distorted my impression of DX, that possibly what I remembered and what I actually played were two different things. So I fired it up again and played it all the way through (thank god for WinXP) and you know what? It was great. The voice acting and graphics were pretty bad but I stopped noticing that about ten minutes in because I WAS HOME, BABY! You want proof that hot visuals don't make a great game, DX is it.

I don't recall being forced to fight anyone in Thief or Thief 2. I remember getting into a few throw-downs with Karras' children when I wasn't careful enough, and I'd usually shoot my way through zombies just because I could. But I don't think I was ever forced to fight people; in fact, many of the game's levels (at least on expert mode, which is the only way to play) don't allow any contact with enemies at all. You fight, you fail.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
mireko said:

EXPLAIN, SPECTOR.
Well first he was out to shame his peers, after that he wanted to shame himself a little :p

OT: I'm really starting to hate Spector, I am a huge Deus Ex fanboy and I love his ideas, but this dude needs to step off his high horse and admit not everything is peachy with his games *cough*MickeyExcuses*cough*.