Speedrunner Conquers Myst in Under Two Minutes

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

With the proper technique, a speedrunner can reach the ending cutscene of classic adventure game Myst in a blindingly fast minute and 45 seconds.

I've always been a fan of speed runs of games, whether they're the type that just breaks your brain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104500-Japanese-Gamer-Beats-Demons-Souls-in-Under-an-Hour]. This Myst speedrun isn't really either one of those, though - it's just a video of somebody who has this game down to an absolute science.

The video is admittedly a bit on the old side of things, but it's been making another pass around the internet lately. So, if you've never seen it before (I certainly hadn't,) now's your chance. Besides, even if you have seen it before, it's still pretty darn impressive to watch one of the classics dominated so quickly.

When you think about it, adventure games like Myst are pretty ripe for speedruns. There's no need for twitch reflexes or uber-precision glitching - all you need is an inside knowledge of the game front to back and a steady mouse-clicking finger with which to use items really, really fast.

I have to admit, though, I was kind of a bit disappointed to not see the player go to any of the different Ages. Doesn't that miss the whole point of Myst? Admittedly, however, I don't think I ever solved any of the game beyond just randomly clicking around the island when I first played it as a kid, so this guy shows me up right off the bat.

It's a bit embarrassing, really.

(Via RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/19/blink-and-youll-mys-it-myst-speedrun/])

SnootyEnglishman

May 26, 2009
While this is impressive given how long the game of Myst is my opinion could also be be better expressed by a song made by popular recording musicians Styx.

"I've got too much..time on my hands"

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The only really impressive part is memorizing the door code to the final book, but even that is easy enough with the right pattern recognition.

Delusibeta

Reachin' out...
Mar 7, 2010
Obviously, RPS Hivemind Policy applies to The Escapist Hivemind as well.

And I take your 105 seconds run and raise you a 76 seconds run. [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rve8A8gI2Rw]

OmniDesol

The Ultimate Omnimancer
Dec 28, 2009
Yeah, it's definitely simple if you've memorized the puzzles. After all, the idea behind it is that you knew about the secret page, and the pattern to get there, if you've played the game before. It's not unimpressive, but it's not impossible. Still, he qualifies. It IS the best ending in a speedrun time.

DiMono

Mar 18, 2010
Not to brag, but I had this figured out years ago. I think my best time was about 1:30. At this point I've forgotten just about all the puzzle solutions, so I could probably afford to replay it as if new. That could be a relaxing way to spend my day.

OmniDesol

The Ultimate Omnimancer
Dec 28, 2009
I would recommend it, DiMono. It holds up. I would actually recommend, if you didn't play it, realMYST on Steam. It adds another hidden puzzle, after the good ending, as well as touching up the graphics and the controls. I strongly recommend.

Kross

World Breaker
Sep 27, 2004
DiMono said:
Not to brag, but I had this figured out years ago. I think my best time was about 1:30. At this point I've forgotten just about all the puzzle solutions, so I could probably afford to replay it as if new. That could be a relaxing way to spend my day.
We had Myst in my school library, I'd play it all the time. Eventually I memorized the pattern for the last door and would speed run it to show off. :D I never timed it, but it was pretty fun to do.

Edit: Wait, just watched the video. I assumed there was only one Myst speed run, and this isn't it! :( You can open the switch that gives you the last page immediately from the starting point and skip directly to the password puzzle from what I remember (skipping the whole first part of the video).

Twad

Nov 19, 2009
Once you beat the game once anyone can do that. Its nothing special.

Would be funnier to see that in riven or Exile.

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Kross said:
DiMono said:
We had Myst in my school library, I'd play it all the time. Eventually I memorized the pattern for the last door and would speed run it to show off. :D I never timed it, but it was pretty fun to do.

Edit: Wait, just watched the video. I assumed there was only one Myst speed run, and this isn't it! :( You can open the switch that gives you the last page immediately from the starting point and skip directly to the password puzzle from what I remember (skipping the whole first part of the video).
No, I'm pretty sure you do need to set all the other switches on the island to get the true ending. You can get either of the false endings a lot faster though because neither of those requires you to solve the switch puzzle.

Xocrates

May 4, 2008
Starke said:
No, I'm pretty sure you do need to set all the other switches on the island to get the true ending. You can get either of the false endings a lot faster though because neither of those requires you to solve the switch puzzle.
But don't the false endings require all the pages as opposed to just the last one?

Starke

Mar 6, 2008
Xocrates said:
Starke said:
But don't the false endings require all the pages as opposed to just the last one?
Actually, no, they don't. It might be a bug, but the fifth red and blue pages will complete the red and blue books regardless of how many other pages you've delivered.

Eleima

Keeper of the GWJ Holocron
Feb 21, 2010
Myst without any Ages? Like a few others before me, I am *not* impressed. I don't call that a "speedrun", I call that a "ruined run". The whole point of Myst was traveling to different worlds, discovering entire civilizations, and letting yourself get sucked in. No immersion there, that's for sure. Sure he beat the game, but did he get to actually play it as it was meant to be played? Nope, not in my book.

DannibalG36

Mar 29, 2010
This reminds me of how infuriating Myst actually was.

Come to think of it, the series has the greatest potential for a rich backstory out of any game yet made. Myst was unparalleled at making players ask "WHY?!"

Zechnophobe

Feb 4, 2010
John Funk said:

With the proper technique, a speedrunner can reach the ending cutscene of classic adventure game Myst in a blindingly fast minute and 45 seconds.

I've always been a fan of speed runs of games, whether they're the type that just breaks your brain [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104500-Japanese-Gamer-Beats-Demons-Souls-in-Under-an-Hour]. This Myst speedrun isn't really either one of those, though - it's just a video of somebody who has this game down to an absolute science.

The video is admittedly a bit on the old side of things, but it's been making another pass around the internet lately. So, if you've never seen it before (I certainly hadn't,) now's your chance. Besides, even if you have seen it before, it's still pretty darn impressive to watch one of the classics dominated so quickly.

When you think about it, adventure games like Myst are pretty ripe for speedruns. There's no need for twitch reflexes or uber-precision glitching - all you need is an inside knowledge of the game front to back and a steady mouse-clicking finger with which to use items really, really fast.

I have to admit, though, I was kind of a bit disappointed to not see the player go to any of the different Ages. Doesn't that miss the whole point of Myst? Admittedly, however, I don't think I ever solved any of the game beyond just randomly clicking around the island when I first played it as a kid, so this guy shows me up right off the bat.

It's a bit embarrassing, really.

(Via RockPaperShotgun [http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/11/19/blink-and-youll-mys-it-myst-speedrun/])

So, I didn't watch the video since I am at work, but I'm sure he just flips the switches, grabs the hidden page, goes to the library and ends. Once you've played this game, and learned the puzzles, and how to finish, it really shouldn't even be all that impressive. It is a puzzle with a single outcome and no random chance involved.

In fact, a speed run of Myst is probably one of the least interesting speed runs imaginable. Not only is it a puzzle game, but there aren't ANY components that require real time skill.

Sorry, I'm kinda in jerky mood, but this was such a lame news item... I'm sorry, it had to be said.