Speedrunner Conquers Myst in Under Two Minutes

Analogy

Jan 12, 2010
Eleima said:
Myst without any Ages? Like a few others before me, I am *not* impressed. I don't call that a "speedrun", I call that a "ruined run". The whole point of Myst was traveling to different worlds, discovering entire civilizations, and letting yourself get sucked in. No immersion there, that's for sure. Sure he beat the game, but did he get to actually play it as it was meant to be played? Nope, not in my book.
That whooshing sound was you missing the entire point of a speedrun.

Speedrunning is about beating the game as quickly as possible. "The way it was meant to be played" has absolutely nothing to do with it. The entire point is to find the shortcuts and glitches that will get you to the end quickly. It's just that Myst is a terrible game for a speedrun since there isn't really that much skill to it and the only "shortcut" you're abusing is knowledge of information that you normally would have to get by playing "the right way."

ExileNZ

Dec 15, 2007
Good GOD people, this is pre-2000 shit. I knew this before I even played Myst.

NEXT

Coming up next: Someone beats Quake in an hour.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
DannibalG36 said:
This reminds me of how infuriating Myst actually was.

Come to think of it, the series has the greatest potential for a rich backstory out of any game yet made. Myst was unparalleled at making players ask "WHY?!"
You've clearly never played Gabriel Knight.

Chamale

Sep 9, 2009
I prefer tool-assisted speedruns, but anything that takes a long game and finishes it very quickly is good in my book. On that note, I present to you the fastest TASes of Super Mario 64 and Pokemon Yellow, and the fastest unassisted speedrun of Oblivion:

<youtube=gI2pZhKaD70>

<youtube=sVMM6Q_YKdE>

<youtube=Cfmdl9-tnSU>