Spider-Gwen Preview Art Swings Online

Fanghawk

Feb 17, 2011
Spider-Gwen Preview Art Swings Online

Marvel Comics has revealed a glimpse of Spider-Gwen #1, the highly-anticipated spin-off to Edge of Spider-Verse.

For decades, Spider-Man character Gwen Stacey was only known for one thing - being <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/9127-The-Amazing-Spider-Man-The-Gwen-Stacy-Paradox>the "one true love" of Peter Parker who died tragically. But soon, we may know Gwen a little better as a far more interesting superhero. We first met "Spider-Gwen" in the Edge of Spider-Verse series, introducing a parallel universe where <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138097-Marvel-Announces-Spider-Gwen-for-February-2015>Gwen was bitten by the radioactive spider instead of Peter. Now Marvel is expanding the concept into a full-blown ongoing series, and the following preview art gives readers an idea of what to expect.

In Spider-Gwen, Gwen Stacey is working to find the same balance Peter Parker did in juggling high school, superheroics, and her personal life. She'll be portrayed as a smart, charming young girl who plays drums in a punk rock band when not using her super-strength as the Amazing Spider-Woman. But just as Spider-Man had to keep his identity secret from NYPD Chief George Stacey, Gwen must do the same - a difficult prospect considering Chief Stacey is her father.

"It's a rare character that gets the public outcry that Spider-Gwen got," Senior Editor Nick Lowe said <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/138097-Marvel-Announces-Spider-Gwen-for-February-2015>back in October. "From the sell-out of Gwen's first appearance to the groundswell on Twitter we're excited to bring more Spider-Gwen into the world with the creators who started it all!"

While Marvel's preview art doesn't include dialogue, it's pretty clear Gwen is having trouble balancing her various roles. As she fights a knife-wielding criminal, she also conducts a phone conversation with a friend and ignores an incoming call from her father. It's a fairly simple twist to the usual Spider-Man formula with a lot of potential for future storylines, giving me hope for this series.

[gallery=3775]

Spider-Gwen #1 will hit comic book shelves on Feb. 25, 2015. Until then, you'll probably find me humming the <a href=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SUtziaZlDeE>Spider-Man theme song to Spider-Gwen lyrics.

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Apparently, as long as whatever she's wearing shows off her tits, it's fine.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
ritchards said:
Yes, and they could get around this buy uh... loose, baggy clothing that would be bad for a super hero! Or, uh... regular binding of the breasts!

Seriously, dude super heroes run around in skin-tight outfits all the time. To get upset over it being done with a heroine is just silly.

Personally, I think Spider-Gwen is awesome. I've loved her design ever since I saw it.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Spider-Gwen, Spider-Gwen, does whatever a stripper can...

Oh wait, the cleavage is painted on her suit (what for?).

IceStar100

Jan 5, 2009
ritchards said:
Not really showing off to me they are covered they just happen to be there. Gwen has a big chest a talk for another time. That said her outfit does not seem unreasonable. Most big chest girl well you will see them unless you want her to wear like 15 sweaters.

Jake Martinez

Apr 2, 2010
Johnny Novgorod said:
Spider-Gwen, Spider-Gwen, does whatever a stripper can...

Oh wait, the cleavage is painted on her suit (what for?).
Why can you see Spider-Man's testicles? Personally I find having a hairy eyefull of spider-balls a bit more disconcerting than an optical illusion of boobs. I guess I'm in the minority considering some of the umbrage in this thread already.

Honestly - I hate that they are bringing her character back in any form. She should have stayed dead. After all, what's next? Uncle Ben as "Spider-Uncle" trying to get back with Aunt May after she's already remarried?

Damn it, I think I just gave Dan Slott another plot line. *grrr*

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
ritchards said:
The front page image is pretty misleading, the shade and lighting makes it look like bare skin and cleavage down to her belly button (which obviously wouldn't be very good for acrobatics of any kind). If you look up by her neck though, it's actually a very skin tight hoodie.

OT: Doesn't Marvel have enough female spider themed characters? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Woman#Other_female_spider-themed_Marvel_characters]

ritchards

Non-gamer in a gaming world
Nov 20, 2009
Eclipse Dragon said:
ritchards said:
The front page image is pretty misleading, the shade and lighting makes it look like bare skin and cleavage down to her belly button (which obviously wouldn't be very good for acrobatics of any kind). If you look up by her neck though, it's actually a very skin tight hoodie.
Yeah, that's the image that's drawing out my comment. Some of the other images show off that it's a top, but that main artist seems to have other things in mind.

PsychicTaco115

I've Been Having These Weird Dreams Lately...
Legacy
Mar 17, 2012
Country
United States
What's the point of the hood? Is it to look "cool" for the kids?

I'd roll my eyes but then again, I'm not a big fan of comics anyway

Hopefully some people can get enjoyment out of it

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
PsychicTaco115 said:

Something to grab onto, just like the long flowing hair, because that is what you want in a fight.

ShirowShirow

Oct 14, 2010
The hood just looks awesome. Hell, the whole costume does. That one pose she's making with the mask off is dumb, but overall her design is good.

And yes, we have THREE Spider Ladies running around with their own series now. Spider-Woman, Silk and now Spider-Gwen. I HAVE NOTHING AGAINST THIS. I'm going to follow all three.

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Eclipse Dragon said:
OT: Doesn't Marvel have enough female spider themed characters? [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider-Woman#Other_female_spider-themed_Marvel_characters]
This version started during the Spider-Verse series which was a massive crossover between every version of Spider-Man ever, including some new ones (Like Spider-Gwen) created specifically for the event. All of the Edge of the Spider-Verse worlds were pretty cool and the comics were well written, but Spider-Gwen in particular got popular. So rather than just drop the character after the event they decided to go ahead and write more about her.

If she wasn't popular, they wouldn't even be making the additional series about her.

TheRightToArmBears

Dec 13, 2008
She's wearing a hoodie! And she plays in a punk band! The drums of all things. Good heavens! Way to go, riot grrrrrrrl.

Often

Apr 18, 2010
Wow, the negativity in this thread must make everyone involved super fun to be around.

Apl_J

Jun 16, 2011
I really like the costume, judging from these pages. Downplayed, easy to look at, yet visually striking and immediately identifiable. Hell, its almost tame compared to the typical superheroine costume. Can't say much for the character or story though; comics were never my thing.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
[quote/]She'll be portrayed as a smart, charming young girl who plays drums in a punk rock band[/quote]
but does she skateboard? YOU CAN'T APPEAL TO THE YOOF WITHOUT A SKATEBOARD!!

FogHornG36 said:
PsychicTaco115 said:

Something to grab onto, just like the long flowing hair, because that is what you want in a fight.
....like....a cape? XD XD XD XD XD

*ahem*

I actually like the hood, not sure about the "accentuating chest area" but overall not bad...not baad

Tsaba

reconnoiter
Oct 6, 2009
so she swings around fighting crime while playing around on her phone... I can get behind this.

EDIT: on the note on how some are upset about the cover art being... provocative (which is what I thought cover art does), while looking at the comic, the costume appears a little more baggy.

Lets all not forget that for the longest time, male comic book heroes wore their underwear outside of their pants.

So in short, can we be a little more worried about the story?