Spider-Man Actress Webslings Away From Broadway Musical

vansau

Mortician of Love
May 25, 2010
Spider-Man Actress Webslings Away From Broadway Musical

The actress who plays Arachne in the Spider-Man Broadway show is beating a hasty retreat, probably with good reason.

The Broadway production of Spider-Man: Turn Off the Dark <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/writersroom/8480-The-Worst-Theatrical-Slaughter-Since-Abe-Walked-Into-Fords>hasn't exactly received a lot of good press, thanks to all the public problems that have plagued it since its first public performance. Now, it sounds like the show has its first official nail in the coffin, thanks to one of its main actors is leaving the musical.

According to two sources that spoke to the New York Times (on the condition of anonymity), Natalie Mendoza, <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/105875-Spider-Man-Musicals-Cast-Dropping-Like-Flies>who was injured early on in the preview performances, is leaving the show. Mendoza played Arachne, the show's main villain who initially helps create Spider-Man's public persona.

Said the Times about the departure:

Ms. Mendoza's representatives and the producers of "Spider-Man" have been hammering out an exit agreement for days now, and an official statement is expected as early as Tuesday, the two people said. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the producers have forbidden public comments given that lawyers and others are still fine-tuning the language to explain Ms. Mendoza's departure, an artistic loss and embarrassing blow to the production.

Mendoza's been taking time off from the play after sustaining a concussion when a rope holding some equipment struck her in the head while she was standing offstage. After all the reports of accidents, <a href=http://gawker.com/5701295/spider+man-musicals-first-show-goes-splat>technical delay-ridden performances, and <a href=http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/spider_man_slings_the_blues_fyaJVc5PFrri7OaznvqojI>rumors that investors want to cut their losses and just get out, I think it's safe to call the show "troubled," though "eventually doomed" is a tempting label to add, as well.

Source: <a href=http://artsbeat.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/28/a-lead-actress-departs-spider-man-turn-off-the-dark/#more-154507>New York Times

ImprovizoR

Dec 6, 2009
Wait, what? A Spider-Man Broadway show? Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with that concept?

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Just give up guys. It was a fanciful idea and it sounds like it would've been impressive to watch, but I think it's time to just call it quits. Like a stripper once told me: You gotta know when to hold 'em, and know when to make like a banana and leave.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
They should just cut their losses and focus on Planet of the Apes the musical.

Rednog

Nov 3, 2008
So escapist...these spiderman tickets you gave me for Christmas are beginning to look a little worthless...can I trade them in for a TARDIS?

Mr. Socky

Apr 22, 2009
This really bodes well for an already screwed play. It's liking holding a shotgun to the head of a three-week old corpse that had all its skin burned off.

Armored Prayer

Mar 10, 2009
At this point, I think its best that they should just quit now.

Its only a matter of time before someone actually dies.

Evilsanta

Apr 12, 2010
Wut? There is a Spider man musical?

Are you kidding me? Isn't that like making a Transformers musical too? Meaning that it totally does not work.

skitzo van

Mar 20, 2009
Evilsanta said:
Wut? There is a Spider man musical?

Are you kidding me? Isn't that like making a Transformers musical too? Meaning that it totally does not work.
There was going to be one, till a few of the actors ended up in the hospital. They don't need actors for this, they need a stunt crew.

dalek sec

Leader of the Cult of Skaro
Jul 20, 2008
Well atleast she'll live to tell the tale, it's pretty much the end of this nightmare. As I've said before, just end this bloody thing before someone ends up crippled or dead from a insane stunt in this show.

GamemasterAnthony

Dec 5, 2010
ImprovizoR said:
Wait, what? A Spider-Man Broadway show? Am I the only one who thinks there is something wrong with that concept?
You aren't the only one.

I'm not surpised she wanted out, to be honest. The way this show is going, it almost looks like they will make back the money they already spent because they won't have to pay any paychecks to the actors because they won't survive.

Seriously...I'm expecting a guy named Murphy to be in charge of this debacle they call a musical.

Samwise137

J. Jonah Jameson
Aug 3, 2010
nope. Bono and The Edge should just retract the rights to their music and produce the score as the next U2 studio album...and then go back to being philanthropists.

Double A

Jul 29, 2009
ImprovizoR said:
Everyone on this site has been going "this will not end well" ever since we got wind of it.

And we were right.