Spider-Man Goes Broadway

Jared Rea

Aug 11, 2008
Spider-Man Goes Broadway

Featuring music by Bono and The Edge of U2 and directed by Julie Taymor of Across the Universe fame, nothing could possibly go wrong.

Remember that scene from Spider-Man 3 where Peter Parker jumped up on top of the bar, tap danced his way across a set of tables, punched Mary Jane in the face and snapped his fingers to say, "Now dig on this?" Of course not, because there never was a Spider-Man 3 and I just made that entire thing up! But had there been a Spider-Man 3 and such a scene just so happened to take place, not only would it have been one of the most traumatic moments in cinema history, but it would have been just a small glimpse of what it may be like to witness a Spider-Man musical.

Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me [http://www.marvel.com/news/comicstories.7014.First_Look~colon~_Spider-Man_2010_Broadway_Musical]," for the Batman Forever soundtrack.

Spider-Man, Turn Off the Dark, will be a musical origin story for Peter Parker, taking the young hero from his modest upbringing in Queens to the world of the Daily Bugle and the rest of Manhattan, all thanks to his encounter with a radioactive spider. Somewhere along the way we'll all learn that with great power comes great responsibility and that the new status quo is the best status quo. Wait, what?

HobbesMkii

Hold Me Closer Tony Danza
Jun 7, 2008
It would be a little hard to sing in that mask, no?
I hope the Kingpin does a tapdance.

meatloaf231

Old Man Glenn
Feb 13, 2008

I'm kinda unsure how to react. It's like the geeks and the theatre kids are teaming up...

Yog Sothoth

Elite Member
Dec 6, 2008
Proof that Marvel Comics will always find new, creative ways to whore out their intellectual properties....

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
meatloaf231 said:

I'm kinda unsure how to react. It's like the geeks and the theatre kids are teaming up...
They've already been out-geeked [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xTZuzrvfcSg] by the Japanese, no less.

ShadowPen

Feb 25, 2009
Perfect place to take my broadway loving crush, since I'm a Spidey fan.

Though my hopes aren't especially high on the show being good...

Or me getting any, for that matter T_T

Beefcakes

Pants Lord of Vodka
Aug 11, 2008
TheNecroswanson said:
It's official, the world is coming to an unstoppable age of stupid.
Coming to an age?
I believe we've been in one for quite some while now...
Well thats my opinion anyway

Spiderman musical?
I'm not a happy panda, and I'm not even a big fan of spiderman or musicals, it just...
Makes me sad

Frybird

Jan 7, 2008
Wasn't there an episode in Batman: The Animated Series where Bruce Wayne was at the Premiere of a Batman Musical(or Opera), and wasn't that quite horrible?

Wouldn't it be the same with an actual Batman Musical? Won't it be the same with Spiderman?

Captain Blackout

Feb 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure this is a joke. I'm praying it's a joke. Then again, this quote from the article is my only evidence:

"Of course not, because there never was a Spider-Man 3"

So either it's a joke or the writer just crawled out from under a rock last week. Wish EVERYONE involved in this project would go crawl back under that rock.

If it's not a joke, I'm completely finished with Marvel. And I used to be one of their biggest fans.....

Feb 13, 2008
T-Blade said:
I honestly have no idea how to react to this ...
Yeah, it's like joining up two of my favourite things, but I'm concerned it may be strawberry jam and mayo.

No matter how good it tastes, you just feel weird....

dcheppy

Dec 8, 2008
I'd watch it. I like musicals and i like spiderman, and Julie Taymor is very talented. It's really not a bad idea. Spidey's origin has all the story trappings of a good musical anyway.

Awkward teenagers, life lessons, awkward teenager being transformed into something spectacular, and heavy doses of camp. Throw in discovering a big city, and a love story with MJ and I'm surprised we haven't seen this yet.

Ionami

Aug 21, 2008
Jared Rea said:
Of course not, because there never was a Spider-Man 3 and I just made that entire thing up!
What? Joke? Or REALLY out of touch with the world?

Pseudonym2

Mar 31, 2008
There was a superman muscle that got some good review, I don't see why a Spider-man movie wouldn't work. (Unless the muscle involves One More Day.)