Spider-Man Joining the Marvel Cinematic Universe - Update

ccggenius12

Sep 30, 2010
I hope they declare all of the Sam Raimi Spider Man stuff to be alt universe. Ash VS Evil Dead is happening, and with the MCU being so big right now, I feel like Marvel Zombies VS Army of Darkness would make the transition nicely. Mostly I just really want to see Bruce Campbell reprise his role as the waiter and have it revealed that he's that universe's Ashley Williams, followed by a revisionist retelling of the comics wherein Bruce kills his way through the zombified Marvel Cinematic Universe.

Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
I wonder how long it will take for the hordes of articles pleading for it to be Miles Morales or *shudders* inexplicably black Peter Parker.
I'm now picturing Family Matters, starring Peter Parker as Urkel.

faefrost

Jun 2, 2010
ccggenius12 said:
I hope they declare all of the Sam Raimi Spider Man stuff to be alt universe. Ash VS Evil Dead is happening, and with the MCU being so big right now, I feel like Marvel Zombies VS Army of Darkness would make the transition nicely. Mostly I just really want to see Bruce Campbell reprise his role as the waiter and have it revealed that he's that universe's Ashley Williams, followed by a revisionist retelling of the comics wherein Bruce kills his way through the zombified Marvel Cinematic Universe.

I wonder how long it will take for the hordes of articles pleading for it to be Miles Morales or *shudders* inexplicably black Peter Parker.
I'm now picturing Family Matters, starring Peter Parker as Urkel.
Not to mention it opens the possibility of getting J K Simmons back as J Jonah Jameson. Perhaps the best cast role in any of the prior movies.

Silverspetz

Aug 19, 2011
(In Toph Beifong's voice) Oh no, what a nightmare.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I'm excited, but I really hope Marvel does something different with him for a change. I'm a little worried that they'll take the safe rout and wind up with something that is once again similar to the Thor and Ironman movies.

Meinos Kaen

Jun 17, 2009
Silverspetz said:
(In Toph Beifong's voice) Oh no, what a nightmare.
It's already happening. -_-''

Mar 8, 2012
Darth Rosenberg said:
I also don't see any major stumbling blocks for Morales to be the MCU's Spidey. So far, the MCU borrows from both the vanilla 'verse/s, as well as the Ultimate, and sometimes puts an original tweak on things. Stark's origin was Ultimate, as was Cap's version, and Fury's 100% The Ultimates. We've also seen Parker done to death already, and frankly his screen version now seems rather boring compared to Marvel's own offerings.
Yeah...no. The only version which borrowed from the Ultimate line was Fury. You clearly never read Orson Scott Card's Ultimate Iron Man; and Cap is not the flag-waving, America-first jackass he is on the page, either. Interestingly enough The Hulk does borrow slightly from his Ultimate version in attempting to recreate the success of Captain America, but the film version also borrows from the old TV series which starred Bill Bixby.

And aside from the Sam Jackson as Nick Fury casting, we know next to nothing about this particular Nick Fury. Is he a descendant of one of Cap's Howling Commandos, like in The Ultimates, or does he have the Infinity Formula pumping through his veins like Fury classic? The rest of the characters are pretty close in origin and characterization to the versions which have been continuiously published for nearly 50+ years, and not the "more accessable" Ultimates versions.

Marvel literally examined what it was about these characters which made them resonate with audiences, what made them endure for so long, and distilled it for moviegoing audiences.

ChaoGuy2006

Sep 6, 2014
Sony will "continue to [...] have final creative control of the Spider-Man films."

Oh. I mean, Marvel does good, but with the final say being hacked up by the same guys who greenlit the previous films? Eeeeeeeeh??

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
Trishbot said:
It's a long-shot, but can we rehire J.K. Simmons as J. Jonah Jameson? If Judi Dench can survive a reboot, we can bring back THE man born to play this role.

... While we're at it, would it be too weird to recast Emma Stone as Mary Jane Watson?
All the YEA to Simmons. If Amazing Spider-Man proved anything is that nobody would dare to recast Simmons in the role.