Spider-man: No Way Home Trailer

happyninja42

Elite Member
Legacy
May 13, 2010

And so it begins...
Eh, I won't lie, when I heard the "be careful what you wish for Peter" line in the trailer, my first thought was One More Day. And I haven't even read that, I'm just aware of it from cultural nerdmosis. So I don't think it's really that much of a huge leap and speculation, given the source material, and the context of the story.

It would make a bit more sense than Strange doing it for whatever unspecified reasons we don't see, though I don't think it's too out of scope for Strange as we know him. Assuming it is actually Strange, and not Mephisto:

I seriously doubt it's "for brownie points with Peter" like someone else said. I think it's more likely, that it will be a case of guilt for Strange. The entire plan to let the Snap happen, was HIS plan remember. All of the chaos, global (universal technically) upheaval on every freaking planet, is due to HIS plan on beating Thanos. We only see it mentioned on Earth, but given how Endgame, F&tWS, and Far From Home frame the 5 year gap, it wasn't a great time for the world. And stuff like that happened on EVERY sentient planet, across the entire universe. Sooo....I don't think it's that big of a stretch to assume Strange might be carrying around some serious guilt, regardless of "it all worked out in the end", because we know it didn't. Plenty of people died in the chaos of those 5 years, from lack of infrastructure, abandonment, illness, you name it. And for Strange, a guy with a pretty big ego, AND coupled with a savior complex that he can fix everyone that is broken around him (the doctor side of his pscyhe), to suddenly have Peter, a kid he watched dust in front of him, while begging to not die, basically becoming his avatar for all of those harmed in the Snap (same for Tony, Peter was the focal point of his guilt as well) , to come up to him, frantic, trying to figure out how to live in a very violent world (with villains more than happy to go after his loved ones if they know them), that now all know his face, and asking for help? Is it really that far fetched that Strange might try and rationalize in his head "ok well I can't fix EVERYONE, that would be too much of a ripple. Buuut....maybe I can just fix this ONE tiny fact. This ONE tiny variable. This kid put his life on the line over and over to try and save the world, and he's just a KID. When others ran, he stood and fought, at the literal battle to decide the fate of the universe, he fought. And Tony, the guy who sacrificed himself to save all of us, felt Peter was worth protecting, he saw potential in him. Can I really just stand here and say 'Sorry kid, sucks to be you. Good luck with that whole exposed identity thing, hope your family lives through the weekend next time crazy shit happens.' ? " *sips coffee*

So yeah, I don't think it's as far out there to think he did it with genuine concern for Peter. Whether that's actually what's going on, or it's a Scooby-Doo moment and we get a mask reveal and it's Mephisto.....I'm currently about 50/50 on that? I could see them taking it either way honestly. Though I would like to think, the people running the MCU show, would be aware of how HATED One More Day is, and would try and steer clear of it, while still being able to play around with the idea of "this is your life with one thing different" kind of story

Reactions: Gyrobot

SilentPony

Previously known as an alleged "Feather-Rustler"
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Eh, I won't lie, when I heard the "be careful what you wish for Peter" line in the trailer, my first thought was One More Day. And I haven't even read that, I'm just aware of it from cultural nerdmosis. So I don't think it's really that much of a huge leap and speculation, given the source material, and the context of the story.
A lot of people bring up One More Day, and yeah there could be a lot of similarities, but the sequel comic to OMD is way closer. One Frozen Moment, or One Moment in Time, something like that.
Basically in that comic Peter goes to Dr. Strange and asks him to erase everyone's memories of Peter being Spiderman and then asks for Mary Jane to be spared and brings her into the spell, and in the end MJ forces Peter and Strange to redo the spell so she can forget and Peter can be free to be Spiderman and that's it. It ends with Spiderman alone and miserable again, MJ alone and miserable, and Dr. Strange just fucks off for my wizardly adventures.
No Mephisto, no alternate world Spidermen, no multiverse madness, no Venom, or Black Cat or Daredevil, just Spider man and Dr. Strange rebooting the franchise. I think that's way more likely than some great big the Devil vs all the Spidermen hoedown extravaganza.

Gyrobot

Ask Revachol/Renegades of Woke
May 13, 2020

It would make a bit more sense than Strange doing it for whatever unspecified reasons we don't see, though I don't think it's too out of scope for Strange as we know him. Assuming it is actually Strange, and not Mephisto:

I seriously doubt it's "for brownie points with Peter" like someone else said. I think it's more likely, that it will be a case of guilt for Strange. The entire plan to let the Snap happen, was HIS plan remember. All of the chaos, global (universal technically) upheaval on every freaking planet, is due to HIS plan on beating Thanos. We only see it mentioned on Earth, but given how Endgame, F&tWS, and Far From Home frame the 5 year gap, it wasn't a great time for the world. And stuff like that happened on EVERY sentient planet, across the entire universe. Sooo....I don't think it's that big of a stretch to assume Strange might be carrying around some serious guilt, regardless of "it all worked out in the end", because we know it didn't. Plenty of people died in the chaos of those 5 years, from lack of infrastructure, abandonment, illness, you name it. And for Strange, a guy with a pretty big ego, AND coupled with a savior complex that he can fix everyone that is broken around him (the doctor side of his pscyhe), to suddenly have Peter, a kid he watched dust in front of him, while begging to not die, basically becoming his avatar for all of those harmed in the Snap (same for Tony, Peter was the focal point of his guilt as well) , to come up to him, frantic, trying to figure out how to live in a very violent world (with villains more than happy to go after his loved ones if they know them), that now all know his face, and asking for help? Is it really that far fetched that Strange might try and rationalize in his head "ok well I can't fix EVERYONE, that would be too much of a ripple. Buuut....maybe I can just fix this ONE tiny fact. This ONE tiny variable. This kid put his life on the line over and over to try and save the world, and he's just a KID. When others ran, he stood and fought, at the literal battle to decide the fate of the universe, he fought. And Tony, the guy who sacrificed himself to save all of us, felt Peter was worth protecting, he saw potential in him. Can I really just stand here and say 'Sorry kid, sucks to be you. Good luck with that whole exposed identity thing, hope your family lives through the weekend next time crazy shit happens.' ? " *sips coffee*

So yeah, I don't think it's as far out there to think he did it with genuine concern for Peter. Whether that's actually what's going on, or it's a Scooby-Doo moment and we get a mask reveal and it's Mephisto.....I'm currently about 50/50 on that? I could see them taking it either way honestly. Though I would like to think, the people running the MCU show, would be aware of how HATED One More Day is, and would try and steer clear of it, while still being able to play around with the idea of "this is your life with one thing different" kind of story
After what happened with What if, I think this makes a good point. Peter was the face of everything that had transpired because he made that gambit to save the universe

also adding to that, he also gave Baron Mordo a huge victory in wiping out half of the magic practitioners and doing god knows how much damage from his absence.

Bob_McMillan

Elite Member
Aug 28, 2014
Country
Philippines

Welp, they still refuse to show the other Spider-men lol. But we do have a better idea of what's going on now. Looks like they're going to be trying to humanize the villains a bit more? And nice to see someone call Dr. Strange out on his shit.

I will say though, Spider-man's web slinging CGI does not look great. Might even look worse than before. They'll probably clean it up later, but Jesus, they really can't give us just a few scenes with an actual suit being worn by Holland? I don't get why, I think it looks fantastic when it's not CGI.

Reactions: gorfias

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
OMG! No evidence of McGuire and Garfield's Spidermen! You know what that means! CONFIRMED LEONADO DICAPRIO IS COMING BACK AS GHOST JACK FROM TITANIC TO BATTLE THE GHOSTBUSTERS IN AN ALTERNATE REALITY WHERE MARTY MCFLY NEVER WENT BACK IN TIME TO THE MAGIC UNDER THE SEAS DANCE, CAUSING A TERMINATOR AND TUROK DINOSAUR HUNTER TO RUN FOR PRESIDENT!
Its all clear as day in the distinct lack of evidence in the trailer

Edit: I should point out its not that I don't think they're in the movie. Better than good chance they are. I just can't stand people are taking the lack of evidence as proof. Andrew Garfield was on the Today show like yesterday, and he bluntly said "No, I'm not in the film, stop looking for me" and the response was "Well he's clearly lying."
And that's never a good place to start movie hype and expectations. Plus if it does turn out he's not in the movie, I hope hype mongers will feel like the biggest pieces of ass out there. "What do you mean he's not in the movie?! He wasn't in any of the trailers, and he said he wasn't in the movie! How could he mislead us like this?!"

Last edited:

gorfias

Unrealistic but happy
Legacy
May 13, 2009
Country
USA
Welp, they done shown too much in a trailer, again! Still, I'm all in. Looks like it is going to be the most fun we've had with a Marvel property since End Game.

Piscian

Elite Member
Apr 28, 2020
Country
United States
I got about 30 seconds in and had to shut it off, I felt like the whole movie was being spoiled. Kinda pissed me off, hoping I forget what I saw.

Reactions: gorfias

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Don't. I can guarantee its going to reveal a lot of stuff you don't want to know going in.
Yes and no. If you've managed to fully ignore all the press releases and casting announcements put out over the past year or so, and some people genuinely have, then yes do not watch the trailer.
If you've been keeping up to date, the trailer re-confirms that characters who were already confirmed to be in the movie are, in fact, in the movie.
Ive seen some people online say that who is not in the trailer is a spoiler, but I refuse that premise. There are a lot of characters not in a lot of movies. Black Panther 2 is in production right now, and I guarantee you Sheriff Bart of Blazzing Saddles fame is not in the movie, and that's not a spoiler.

Last edited:

SilentPony

Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Corner of No and Where
Okay this could actually be something: https://insidethemagic.net/2021/12/no-way-home-soundtrack-leak-al1/

And I say that because its actual in-movie evidence of other Spidermen, rather than just assuming everyone in production is lying. If its real, I'd say this is pretty substantial evidence because soundtracks are a very key part of production and not something that can be thrown together or faked. You can fake a song title, sure, but you don't bring in the studio orchestra to play a fake theme to throw people off.