Spider-Man: With Great Games, Comes Great Responsibility

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Casual Shinji said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Whats Peter supposed to do, punch Otto because he thinks hes a supervillian also Peter never saw Otto do anything violent so there werent a lot of red flags
No, but he's been Spider-Man for 8 years now and has dealt with Scorpion, Electro, Rhino, and the Vulture; You'd think he'd see where this was going, especially once he gets a good look at you-know-what. More importantly though we know, and it's like waiting for someone to finish a long drawn out joke you already know the punchline to.
The former 3 are a bunch of thugs who want to @##% @$%@ up and I doubt Peter knows the last one's backstory. Also there is a thing called bias, Peter has been working for Otto for years now and is close friend to him so I can understand why Otto the man who wants to attach limbs to amputees, being a supervillian is not the first thing on his mind.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Samtemdo8 said:
Honestly though you think being Superman in a video game would be more fun then Batman because you are stupidly overpowered. I mean you can fly and left objects heavier then the mountains.

I rather have that the using grappling hooks, web swinging, and gliding :p
Just play Just Cause 2 with cheats on. Superman can create alternate universe, travel through time with ease, he fought Death and God and won, lift an entire Galaxy.
Where's the fun in that? Oh no, a meteor is about to crash into Earth. I'm going to go back in time to the big bang and rework the atoms so that the planet that asteroid was originally part of 100million years ago never forms.
Oh the thrill! Oh the suspense.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Still waiting for a good Superman game :(

Or the epic Superhero open world RPG game of my dreams where you can make whatever kind of superhero or villain you want.
You'll never get a good Superman game - he's not a character that lends itself to video games. Superman is so powerful he literally punched God, so you're not going to create a game with a believable challenge or villain.
Superman's whole thing is the morality of his action. He can basically do anything, he's basically God, and his character is about the morality of being a God, and the consequences of his actions.
Video games have no consequences. Gamers can do whatever they want, and either not save or start a new game. So you'd render the central theme of Superman moot, and have boring gameplay with no challenge because nothing can beat him.

Eh, I disagree. I can think of a few ideas on how to do a Superman game.

Natemans

Apr 5, 2017
I've been really liking it so far.

I was excited for this to come out despite being incredibly skeptical when I heard Dan Slott was gonna be one of the co-writers. Though thankfully I think his involvement felt more minor. The game uses elements from Brand New Day and post-Brand New Day mainly with the plot involving Mister Negative and F.E.A.S.T. I think its kinda executed better than that comic run.

The gameplay is really good. The webswinging is a lot of fun as well as addictive and handles well. Wasn't a big fan of the wall crawling. Combat's alright.

The graphics are pretty good and haven't had a bug yet surprisingly. The story works well and handles the aspects of Peter's life as Spider-Man. A couple lines of dialogue were a little wonky and one or two missions had pacing issues. Overall yeah, I dig it. 8.9/10

Jameson's podcast is fantastic. Still gets me to laugh every time it pops up.

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
Natemans said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Or the epic Superhero open world RPG game of my dreams where you can make whatever kind of superhero or villain you want.
You'll never get a good Superman game - he's not a character that lends itself to video games. Superman is so powerful he literally punched God, so you're not going to create a game with a believable challenge or villain.
Superman's whole thing is the morality of his action. He can basically do anything, he's basically God, and his character is about the morality of being a God, and the consequences of his actions.
Video games have no consequences. Gamers can do whatever they want, and either not save or start a new game. So you'd render the central theme of Superman moot, and have boring gameplay with no challenge because nothing can beat him.

Like what? How can you possibly make an engaging game with a character that as No-Clip on the Laws of the Universe? You'd be better making a Freakazoid game, and just plowing through the fact the writers are on his payroll and he fires is villains and insists on rewrites when he doesn't like the way things are going. At least he has a sense of humor about being a God.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Silentpony said:
Natemans said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Like what? How can you possibly make an engaging game with a character that as No-Clip on the Laws of the Universe? You'd be better making a Freakazoid game, and just plowing through the fact the writers are on his payroll and he fires is villains and insists on rewrites when he doesn't like the way things are going. At least he has a sense of humor about being a God.
Okay Superman gets hurt all the time, just watch the animated series or read a comic

Silentpony_v1legacy

Alleged Feather-Rustler
Jun 5, 2013
PapaGreg096 said:
Silentpony said:
Natemans said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:

Okay Superman gets hurt all the time, just watch the animated series or read a comic
The comics have Superman literally punch God.
and the shows, while very good, are known for not getting Superman right.

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
See I'm hearing a lot that sounds a lot like the last Spider-Man game I played which was on the PS2, aside from the open world aspect but from what I understand that's already been done in other Spider-Man games before this? Sounds like it does a good job but I don't see why people were hyping it up so much from what you guys are describing.

EternallyBored

Terminally Apathetic
Jun 17, 2013
Silentpony said:
PapaGreg096 said:
Silentpony said:
Natemans said:
Silentpony said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I mean, that's kind of true of any sort of superhero one shot or spin off, I can't think of any movies, games, or tv shows that really portray any particular superhero entirely accurately to the pinnacle of their comic counterparts power. Comics tend to be so long running that most of the major A and B listers suffer from power creep and eat the superpower nerf bat at some point

Hell, this game hardly gives Spider-man the entire scope of his gadgets and powers over the course of his comics. Yeah, at one point in the comics Superman can bench press galaxies, but there have also been plenty of incarnations of the character that are much more limited in their power range, several of his resets severely limited the scope of his powers. Though I agree it would be much harder to limit Superman to a single open world city as easily as Batman or Spider-man without building in some awkward limitations.

EDIT: not to mention, much like the Arkham games cribbing a lot of style from the 90's Batman animated series, a lot more people probably know and are familiar with the classic animated super man and Justice League cartoons, than know about Superman's zanier high end comic feats. I imagine the vast majority of people and even comics fans would be completely ok if they kept a hypothetical Superman game to his strength from the 2000's animated series.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
hanselthecaretaker said:
Curious, if you had an example of what exactly would be a 10/10 game to you? IIRC you said GoW was a 6/10, but here Spider-Man is the antithesis and only a 7/10? I know there are other parts to each game but you seem to put more weight to the combat portion.
I would give 10s to Bayonetta, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Bros. 3, Portal 2, Metal Gear Online 2, MGS1 off the top of my head. GOW of is one of those things that every time I think about it, it kinda keeps getting worse in my mind. I did say it was 6/10 but it's at best a 5 now but it's too good to go any lower than a 4. When I think of GOW, just about everything outside of presentation and graphics just feels really average for the most. I really hated the RPG mechanics, the puzzles were below par, the characters were good overall, the story was fine but overstayed its welcome, the combat is pretty much perfectly average (when the stupid RPG mechanics don't cause it being overly hard or joke easy), the exploration would be a plus (if it wasn't for the RPG mechanics). The forced-in RPG mechanics really bring so much of the game down honestly.

Back to Spiderman, combat, antithesis, whatnot. I put the most weight of the score on whatever I'm doing the most in the game. GOW obviously has combat as the main element of the game thus combat is the most important aspect of the game. The reason why combat is usually rather important is because so many games are primarily combat games (even RPGs) as combat is the easy and simple way the create conflict. And, most devs don't know how to create gameplay that isn't centered around combat. Then, of course, most AAA games are trying to provide a full-on cinematic experience when the industry has barely any good writers thus they fail pretty hard in that degree making 8+ scores rare and 9s and 10s nearly impossible. I love Arkane's games like the Dishonoreds and Prey but how can I give the games 9s and 10s when I can easily imagine them being quite a bit better with top-notch writing? Like I said, Spiderman is sorta the antithesis of GOW combat because the unlockable moves don't just provide new moves (breadth) but also provide depth because they all have a singular purpose different from every other move while also interplaying with all the other moves. Whereas just about all the unlockable moves in GOW don't allow you to do anything functionally different that you couldn't already do nor do they really interplay with the other moves either. I would also say from a design standpoint, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, and Horizon's combat are the antithesis of Witcher 3's combat because MH, DD, and Horizon's combat were designed for monster fights first and foremost thus excelling at those fights while Witcher 3's combat was designed for humanoid fights thus dropping the ball on the big monster fights.

Arkham City is probably my highest rated superhero game (9/10) and here's basically my logic behind it. The combat is solid while only really being like a 3rd of the game so combat doesn't have to carry the game. Plus, the combat even goes above and beyond marking the last time (until Spiderman) that Arkham combat actually evolved with adding in stuff like the beatdown mechanic and quick-use gadgets. The boss fights are even solid, easily the best in the series and a marked improvement over Asylum. Same goes with stealth, AC doesn't need to have the greatest stealth of all-time because it's not a dedicated stealth game. The open world is well designed staying rather small and allowing for more density, detail, and atmosphere than you can get from bigger worlds. You even get to know the world like the back of your hand. Plus, there's a few very well-designed linear levels. The story is a really top-notch Batman story and can even been seen as the true ending to The Animated Series as the Arkham series is heavily inspired by it plus Paul Dini was the head writer. I give AC a 9 instead of a 10 because there are some loose story threads like the infected citizens and some of the open world elements were lackluster like having hundreds of Riddler trophies is just bad content, just have the 50 or so Riddler trophies that were actually puzzles and leave out all the ones that you just simply pick up (nobody finds that fun or engaging).

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Phoenixmgs said:
hanselthecaretaker said:
Curious, if you had an example of what exactly would be a 10/10 game to you? IIRC you said GoW was a 6/10, but here Spider-Man is the antithesis and only a 7/10? I know there are other parts to each game but you seem to put more weight to the combat portion.
I would give 10s to Bayonetta, ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Super Mario Bros. 3, Portal 2, Metal Gear Online 2, MGS1 off the top of my head. GOW of is one of those things that every time I think about it, it kinda keeps getting worse in my mind. I did say it was 6/10 but it's at best a 5 now but it's too good to go any lower than a 4. When I think of GOW, just about everything outside of presentation and graphics just feels really average for the most. I really hated the RPG mechanics, the puzzles were below par, the characters were good overall, the story was fine but overstayed its welcome, the combat is pretty much perfectly average (when the stupid RPG mechanics don't cause it being overly hard or joke easy), the exploration would be a plus (if it wasn't for the RPG mechanics). The forced-in RPG mechanics really bring so much of the game down honestly.

Back to Spiderman, combat, antithesis, whatnot. I put the most weight of the score on whatever I'm doing the most in the game. GOW obviously has combat as the main element of the game thus combat is the most important aspect of the game. The reason why combat is usually rather important is because so many games are primarily combat games (even RPGs) as combat is the easy and simple way the create conflict. And, most devs don't know how to create gameplay that isn't centered around combat. Then, of course, most AAA games are trying to provide a full-on cinematic experience when the industry has barely any good writers thus they fail pretty hard in that degree making 8+ scores rare and 9s and 10s nearly impossible. I love Arkane's games like the Dishonoreds and Prey but how can I give the games 9s and 10s when I can easily imagine them being quite a bit better with top-notch writing? Like I said, Spiderman is sorta the antithesis of GOW combat because the unlockable moves don't just provide new moves (breadth) but also provide depth because they all have a singular purpose different from every other move while also interplaying with all the other moves. Whereas just about all the unlockable moves in GOW don't allow you to do anything functionally different that you couldn't already do nor do they really interplay with the other moves either. I would also say from a design standpoint, Monster Hunter, Dragon's Dogma, and Horizon's combat are the antithesis of Witcher 3's combat because MH, DD, and Horizon's combat were designed for monster fights first and foremost thus excelling at those fights while Witcher 3's combat was designed for humanoid fights thus dropping the ball on the big monster fights.

Arkham City is probably my highest rated superhero game (9/10) and here's basically my logic behind it. The combat is solid while only really being like a 3rd of the game so combat doesn't have to carry the game. Plus, the combat even goes above and beyond marking the last time (until Spiderman) that Arkham combat actually evolved with adding in stuff like the beatdown mechanic and quick-use gadgets. The boss fights are even solid, easily the best in the series and a marked improvement over Asylum. Same goes with stealth, AC doesn't need to have the greatest stealth of all-time because it's not a dedicated stealth game. The open world is well designed staying rather small and allowing for more density, detail, and atmosphere than you can get from bigger worlds. You even get to know the world like the back of your hand. Plus, there's a few very well-designed linear levels. The story is a really top-notch Batman story and can even been seen as the true ending to The Animated Series as the Arkham series is heavily inspired by it plus Paul Dini was the head writer. I give AC a 9 instead of a 10 because there are some loose story threads like the infected citizens and some of the open world elements were lackluster like having hundreds of Riddler trophies is just bad content, just have the 50 or so Riddler trophies that were actually puzzles and leave out all the ones that you just simply pick up (nobody finds that fun or engaging)
I only played the demo of Bayonetta but it seemed to be another game where the unlocked moves aren?t particularly significant in terms of having a singular purpose (ie like getting new gear from any Zelda game). In DMC for a similar genre example it was possible to get through the game with a handful of the same attack strings.

I get what you?re saying though about unlocked moves . It?s probably a big reason why I like SoulsBorne so much; you already have your moveset to learn naturally and then you also more organically acquire new and significant weapons with which to use them in tandem. Probably the worst part about having unlocked moves in terms of game design is the issue created by constantly having to do so in character-driven games through the inevitable sequels. I think if they make us unlock everything for Kratos again and have to relevel in the next game I might not even play it. It gets ridiculous, and at the very least they should have save transferring.

As for Arkham City, I only finished the main story and the main missions for Catwoman. I doubt I?ll ever play the rest of them unless I somehow have nothing else to play. I thought it was better than AA overall by tuning the formula and expanding on it in ways that made sense within the world, but you?re right about there being too many collectibles. As good as the game is there is a such thing as overkill.

McElroy

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 3, 2013
Finland
Great responsibility, huh? Does being PEGI 16 cover that? It's clearly for 10 and up! Age ratings, not even once.

Oct 22, 2011
One important question: Is there a pizza delivery game?

Samtemdo8 said:
Honestly though you think being Superman in a video game would be more fun then Batman because you are stupidly overpowered.
Key word "stupidly". If a character is so OP, nothing is a challenge for them, an important part of gameplay is lost.
Silentpony said:
So, maybe the shows are "right", because they don't show Superman as a broken, OP demigod?

Avnger

Trash Goblin
Legacy
Apr 1, 2016
Country
United States
Yoshi178 said:
meh. it's just Spidey Arkham Asylum.
I don't think I've seen someone drown in salt before this post.

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
MrCalavera said:
One important question: Is there a pizza delivery game?

Samtemdo8 said:
Honestly though you think being Superman in a video game would be more fun then Batman because you are stupidly overpowered.
Key word "stupidly". If a character is so OP, nothing is a challenge for them, an important part of gameplay is lost.
Silentpony said:
So, maybe the shows are "right", because they don't show Superman as a broken, OP demigod?
But regardless, you can limit Superman's powers to reasonable levels.

No one in their right mind is asking for Superman to flatten whole cities or reverse the planet to reverse time in a Video Game.

Seriously the dude has been portrayed radically differently over the years. In the Silver Age he can trasform into whatever form he wanted.

All we need is Superman that can fly at least 100 miles per hour, strong enough only to lift a truck, and has his basic heat vision, ice breath, and X-ray vision and super hearing (the super hearing can be used as a way to pick up quests or random events)

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
All we need is Superman that can fly at least 100 miles per hour, strong enough only to lift a truck, and has his basic heat vision, ice breath, and X-ray vision and super hearing (the super hearing can be used as a way to pick up quests or random events)
AKA. All we need is to play an OP character.

Look man, I'm happy you love Superman, but the dude is not good game material, he isn't even a good character in general. He is entertaining for sure and there are some good stories around him. But there isn't really a good way to make him a staring video game character, because if they limit him to be reasonable many fans would be upset about it.

Think about an Arkham game, or the open world spider-man game, and then answer this question. "What would threaten Superman enough to make an entire game interesting?"

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
Commanderfantasy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
AKA. All we need is to play an OP character.

Look man, I'm happy you love Superman, but the dude is not good game material, he isn't even a good character in general. He is entertaining for sure and there are some good stories around him. But there isn't really a good way to make him a staring video game character, because if they limit him to be reasonable many fans would be upset about it.

Think about an Arkham game, or the open world spider-man game, and then answer this question. "What would threaten Superman enough to make an entire game interesting?"
Clearly you have no vision. I even made suggestions such as events to save people in danger like stopping a bank robbery, saving people from a building on fire, and even save a boat from a tsunami.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
Samtemdo8 said:
Clearly you have no vision. I even made suggestions such as events to save people in danger like stopping a bank robbery, saving people from a building on fire, and even save a boat from a tsunami.
Clearly you missed my point. Those things you suggested are A. Just busy work that is present in most open world games, Spider-man included and B, no threat to Superman himself.

I asked you for some way to threaten Superman (the player) because a game in which the player has no risk or no stake in the game is not a game that is fun, memorable, or interesting enough to see through to the end. Which is why in most games, when the player is given god-like powers those powers are usually very brief and only awarded after the player has gone through many challenges to get to that point.

I'm not saying a Superman game couldn't work. I am merely asking you how it would work, because I don't see any possible way it could. Superman has only 1 threat in the entire universe and that's a little green rock, so unless you plan to just turn the world into kryponite, how would you go about making the random crimes interesting? How would you make the building on fire be a danger to the player? The only possible way to do that is to make the player do it before the fire kills the NPC's, in which case it is a timed mission and those almost always suck. So that's not an option.

How about the street crimes? Criminals robbing a bank? How do those criminals become a threat? You could in give them kryponite bullets I guess, but Superman is faster than human thought, so he can stop and/or dodge those bullets so there is no threat or challenge to him there.

Admittedly, the Tsunami mission could be a cool side mission. But unless you plan to rain constant nature disasters on the city, that option quickly runs out of steam.

Ultimately Superman's problem is that the only way to challenge him, is to threaten NPC's, which means overcoming the challenge for the player is nothing more than beating whatever in-game timer they must beat to stop the bad thing from happening.

Superman could be a cheat code in another super hero's game and little more sadly.

PapaGreg096

Oct 12, 2013
Commanderfantasy said:
Samtemdo8 said:
Clearly you missed my point. Those things you suggested are A. Just busy work that is present in most open world games, Spider-man included and B, no threat to Superman himself.

I asked you for some way to threaten Superman (the player) because a game in which the player has no risk or no stake in the game is not a game that is fun, memorable, or interesting enough to see through to the end. Which is why in most games, when the player is given god-like powers those powers are usually very brief and only awarded after the player has gone through many challenges to get to that point.

I'm not saying a Superman game couldn't work. I am merely asking you how it would work, because I don't see any possible way it could. Superman has only 1 threat in the entire universe and that's a little green rock, so unless you plan to just turn the world into kryponite, how would you go about making the random crimes interesting? How would you make the building on fire be a danger to the player? The only possible way to do that is to make the player do it before the fire kills the NPC's, in which case it is a timed mission and those almost always suck. So that's not an option.

How about the street crimes? Criminals robbing a bank? How do those criminals become a threat? You could in give them kryponite bullets I guess, but Superman is faster than human thought, so he can stop and/or dodge those bullets so there is no threat or challenge to him there.

Admittedly, the Tsunami mission could be a cool side mission. But unless you plan to rain constant nature disasters on the city, that option quickly runs out of steam.

Ultimately Superman's problem is that the only way to challenge him, is to threaten NPC's, which means overcoming the challenge for the player is nothing more than beating whatever in-game timer they must beat to stop the bad thing from happening.

Superman could be a cheat code in another super hero's game and little more sadly.
I mean he also gets hurt by magic, hi tech weapons, and other super powered beings so just make enemy grunts like those. Jesus Christ has anyone seen a Superman cartoon, the guy gets hurt all the time and just because its not by normal or conventional means people think he's invincible. There are games where Goku can get hurt by guns, lasers and rocket launchers but no one complains about that.

CriticalGaming

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2017
PapaGreg096 said:
Commanderfantasy said:
Samtemdo8 said:

I mean he also gets hurt by magic, hi tech weapons, and other super powered beings so just make enemy grunts like those. Jesus Christ has anyone seen a Superman cartoon, the guy gets hurt all the time and just because its not by normal or conventional means people think he's invincible. There are games where Goku can get hurt by guns, lasers and rocket launchers but no one complains about that.
Superman is stronger than Goku because of comic book reasons. And there hasn't been a good DBZ game that wasn't a fighter either for some of those same reasons. However the difference is that Goku typically is always having to punch UP towards more powerful foes than himself. Whereas Superman almost always punches down.

Just because these characters don't make for good video games. Doesn't mean that their other media isn't valid. They just don't fit a video game unless to dramatically change the way their powers work.