Spiders Force Recall Of Nearly 900,000 Toyotas

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Spiders Force Recall Of Nearly 900,000 Toyotas

Toyota has recalled 870,000 cars because of the wicked machinations of death-dealing arachnid monstrosities.

Spiders, spiders, everywhere. They're creepy, and they're deadly, and they're out to get you - don't turn your back! Especially if you drive a Toyota, specifically a Camry, Venza or Avalon from 2012 or 2013.

These vehicles, as it turns out, have an exposed, unprotected drainage tube leading down from the air conditioner condenser, into which spiders can crawl and, as they sometimes do, spin webs. Those webs create a blockage; the blockage forces water to drip onto an airbag control module, shorting it out; and that short-circuit can cause the airbag warning light to kick on or, in worst-case scenarios, the airbag to actually deploy. If you've ever seen video of an airbag going off, you know that is definitely not something you want to happen, especially when you're doing a buck-twenty down the highway.

Toyota says that there have been 35 reports of warning lights coming on and three airbag deployments as a result of the issue, and the only consistent cause of the blockage it's been able to find has been spider webs. The car maker is sending out notices to owners and will fix the problem at no charge, but, perhaps wisely, it's not going to try to keep the spiders out; instead, it will just keep the water from dripping onto the module.

Spiders, man. They're everywhere.

Source: CNN [http://money.cnn.com/2013/10/17/autos/toyota-spiders-airbag-recall/index.html]

Bobic

Nov 10, 2009
Damn, that's some wacky spider, Rube Goldberg machine of a problem. Pretty unlucky on Toyota's part. I'm glad they're letting spiders carry on living in their cars though. I have a spider living in my wing mirror. He keeps webbing it up. The dude's pretty cool. Whenever a fly gets stuck in my car I try to guide it into the wing mirror web. Haven't been successful yet though.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
In case you don't know what an airbag going off in your face is like, it's like being punched with a boxing glove made of sand paper... If you've seen the video of the guy who sits on a couch, than is rocketed skywards by one, you'll know they pack a wallop!

On topic, it's weird how this worked out... I mean, I bet no engineer ever thought that anything that contrived would ever happen when designing the car! It's just not something you can account for

Wonder how long it took for a mechanic to figure out the 8 legged devil was causing this problem

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
Call Patrick Star on this immediately! He knows what to do when spiders can live in your car!

And may god help you if they're gigantic...

Patrick Charges more if they're that big...

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
I was hoping the story would have been a bit more exciting, like black widows fly out of the vents when you brake too hard or a lawfirm of litigious, hyper-intelligent spiders have been suing Toyota for something.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
CriticalMiss said:
I was hoping the story would have been a bit more exciting, like black widows fly out of the vents when you brake too hard or a lawfirm of litigious, hyper-intelligent spiders have been suing Toyota for something.
I heard air-conditioning + spiders and my mind went to terrifying places.

Air condition unit turns on. Faint rumble. Tsunami of spiders!

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Good lord, when I first came to this article, I was expecting to read something about how a Toyota factory had a horrible spider infestation and the buggers hid their eggsacks in a bunch of cars, meaning that said cars had a tendency to just have spiders start pouring out of the air vents. Now THAT would be a very crappy addition to the rush-hour drive home. :(

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Bobic said:
Damn, that's some wacky spider, Rube Goldberg machine of a problem. Pretty unlucky on Toyota's part. I'm glad they're letting spiders carry on living in their cars though. I have a spider living in my wing mirror. He keeps webbing it up. The dude's pretty cool. Whenever a fly gets stuck in my car I try to guide it into the wing mirror web. Haven't been successful yet though.
That happened a lot on my old car as well. I didn't mind the little bugger, felt bad for him in fact because, seeing as how his web is spread across a solid surface rather than in the open air where, you know, bugs actually fly, I didn't see how he could be making a living (i.e. catching his food) with his web in such a place.

Nov 28, 2007
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
Spiders, spiders, everywhere. They're creepy, and they're deadly, and they're out to get you - don't turn your back! Especially if you drive a Toyota, specifically a Camry, Venza or Avalon from 2012 or 2013.
Spider van, Spider van,
Live in cars made in Japan
Spins a web, any size,
Air bag triggered, out it flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Spider van.

And what kind of maniac does a buck twenty on the highway?
Sir, that post put a smile on my face, and reminded me why I read news article comments. Well-done.

ssgt splatter

Oct 8, 2008
Oh god, how I hate spiders! I hate them!
DVS BSTrD said:
Andy Chalk said:
Spider van, Spider van,
Live in cars made in Japan
Spins a web, any size,
Air bag triggered, out it flies
Look Out!
Here comes the Spider van.

And what kind of maniac does a buck twenty on the highway?
LMFAO!!!! I love the pun on the song.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
Considering that I killed a spider the size of my palm just yesterday, when I read this I thought they were crawling out of the cars and stuff, that would've been some pretty old cars for that to happen.

ThunderCavalier

Nov 21, 2009
The spiders are trying to take over the world!

They tried to warn us! The spiders are going to try and usurp humanity as the dominate species of the world!

We must kill all the spiders!

Some_weirdGuy

Nov 25, 2010
Australians however are advised that, given their spiders are more comparable in size to a dog or small horse, no such recall will be required, and that an influx of new foreign imports will infact be on sale at all available retailers.

Drummodino

Can't Stop the Bop
Jan 2, 2011
Some_weirdGuy said:
Australians however are advised that, given their spiders are more comparable in size to a dog or small horse, no such recall will be required, and that an influx of new foreign imports will infact be on sale at all available retailers.
Silly non-Australian, our most dangerous spiders are the small, venomous ones. The big ones are rather friendly actually, they help out by eating all the bugs (and the occasional bird) ;)