Spike Announces 2012 Video Game Award Nominees

Nov 5, 2007
Foolproof said:
Andy Chalk said:
Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)
Ahah. Uh, yeah, no. One of these things is not like the others.

Seriously, guys, who at Square Enix is fucking the guy picking the Most Anticipated list. Cause that is the only goddamn way I will accept that Tomb Raider made it onto the list but motherfucking WATCH_DOGS didn't.
Most anticipated, as dumb a category as it is, is about games that we know are coming out next year. WATCH_DOGS is 2-3 years away at least and for yet unknown next gen consoles.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
The depression of knowing that I'm still the target audience of these games...

Anyway, here's my winners. "But they're not even nominated," you might say in some instances. If that's the case, then I'll put the Under Protest Winner in parentheses. However, the REAL winners are thus:

Game of the Year: Mass Effect 3
Studio of the Year: Telltale Games (even if they did hose Strong Bad in the licensing agreement)

Best Xbox 360 Game: Halo 4, ONLY BECAUSE IT IS XBOX EXCLUSIVE.
Best PS3 Game: Journey, again because of exclusivity.
Best Wii/Wii-U Game: Xenoblade Chronicles or Last Story. We fought to get those, damn it!
Best PC Game: Diablo 3. Once again, exclusivity helps.
(Yeah, my picks for best individual console's winner are exlcusive. Maybe there needs to be a Best Multiplatform Game so we can stop nominating Assassin's Creed 3 so many goddamn times.)

Best Shooter: Mass Effect 3. (Of the nominees, Borderlands 2.)
Best Action/Adventure: Banjo-Tooie (Or of the nominees, Sleeping Dogs/True Crime: Hong Kong)
Best RPG: Mass Effect 3.
Best Multiplayer Game: Borderlands 2.
Best Individual Sports Game: SSX, if only because I still love SSX Tricky that damn much.
Best Team Sports Game: NBA 2K13, if only because fuck EA.
Best Racing Game: F1 2012

Best Song In A Game: "Swamped" by Laguna Coil from Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines ("Cities" by Beck from Sound Shapes)
Best Original Score: Mass Effect 3 (Max Payne 3)
Best Graphics: Journey, solely for uniqueness.
Best Independent Game: Fez
Best Fighting Game: Mortal Kombat. (Persona 4 Arena)
Best Handheld/Mobile Game: New Super Mario Bros. 2 (Luigi gets a fox tail to fly, your argument is invalid.)

Best Performance by a Female: Melissa Hutchinson as Clementine in The Walking Dead
Best Performance by a Male: Dameon Clarke as Handsome Jack in Borderlands 2
Best Adapted Game: The Walking Dead
Best DLC: Close, but Perpetual Testing Initiative from Portal 2 (runner up is Dawnguard)
Best Downloadable Game: Fez
Best Social Game: SimCity Social

Most Anticipated Game: South Park: The Stick of Truth
Character of the Year: Can't vote right now, but Commander Shepard.

Excuse me, I now know who voiced Handsome Jack and can deck him properly.

Brandon Logan

Jan 20, 2011
neonsword13-ops said:
Best Shooter

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision/Treyarch)
That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?
I was just happy it wasn't nominated for GOTY. I really expected i tto be. with how the Spike VGA's normally go.

Major Idea

Sep 14, 2012
I'm really glad Journey is nominated for so many awards. For me, having played all the GOTY nominees except the walking dead, its the best choice.

Not only does it deserve it, but it would also be a great statement to the entire industry and beyond, that a game made by (relatively) so few people, with such a different tone to it (all the others revolve around some sort of aggression or violence) could be considered the best game of the year. I don't know about the AAA label, but its as good an experience as there ever was in our young medium.

Carrots_macduff

Jul 13, 2011
DrunkOnEstus said:
I can't imagine why we should expect anything other than an equivalent to the Oscar's.
i would say the spike vgas are more akin to the teen choice awards than the oscars. maybe the emmys if you want to be generous.

The Great JT

Oct 6, 2008
Small side note, I think they should give a special award to former FBI Director William S. Sessions. What in video games is he known for? Only this:

If you played an arcade game in the 90's, you know this image well.

unstabLized

Mar 9, 2012
ShadowKirby said:
Foolproof said:
Andy Chalk said:
Most Anticipated Game (viewer voted)

BioShock Infinite (2K Games/Irrational Games)
Grand Theft Auto V (Rockstar Games)
South Park: The Stick of Truth (THQ/Obsidian Entertainment)
The Last of Us (Sony Computer Entertainment/Naughty Dog)
Tomb Raider (Square Enix/Crystal Dynamics)
Ahah. Uh, yeah, no. One of these things is not like the others.

Seriously, guys, who at Square Enix is fucking the guy picking the Most Anticipated list. Cause that is the only goddamn way I will accept that Tomb Raider made it onto the list but motherfucking WATCH_DOGS didn't.
Most anticipated, as dumb a category as it is, is about games that we know are coming out next year. WATCH_DOGS is 2-3 years away at least and for yet unknown next gen consoles.
Watch Dogs was announced for 2013.

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
The fact that Spec Ops: The Line was nominated for nothing, proves that Spike have so appreciation for art.

SL33TBL1ND

Elite Member
Nov 9, 2008
SpiderJerusalem said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
SpiderJerusalem said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
SL33TBL1ND said:
Considering the terrible critical reception of Assassin's Creed 3, I have no idea how that was nominated.
"Generally average or slightly above average" is "terrible"?
Most of the games journos I follow on twitter/pay attention to have said it's a disaster.
Then they'd be wrong. It's easily the best in the series so far.
Because tastes and opinions are totally either right or wrong.
Yes, sometimes.

Game is sitting pretty on 82 on Metacritic, meaning it's clearly one of the better games out there. You haven't played it, so you based your judgmental attitude on hearsay and clearly counter opinions, making you more likely to be wrong than right.
I'm basing my opinion on reviewers and games journos who's opinions generally line up with mine, i.e. using reviews how their supposed to be used.

zumbledum

Nov 13, 2011
Trololo Punk said:
FEichinger said:
There's a consensus that we all just pretend this never happened, right?
What happened? I have no idea what your talking about...
Its quite bizzare i have never heard of spike TV or these awards or seen anything to do with them except once a year this thread appears on this forum. im beginning to thing its some secret spy covert ops signal

DJ_DEnM

My brother answers too!
Dec 22, 2010
Nurb said:
>Implying Spike VGAs aren't any more than commercials and that they actually matter
>Using the wrong shade of green to greentext

Verkula

Oct 3, 2010
Wait, dont tell me these are the best 2012 had to offer. I guess i didnt miss much this year, since i only bought older titles.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
neonsword13-ops said:
Best Shooter

Call of Duty: Black Ops II (Activision/Treyarch)
That was released 2. FUCKING. DAYS. AGO. How can it already be nominated for best shooter?!

Sigh... what else did I suspect from a channel with mostly frat-boy and manly man programming?

OT: Why no Persona 4: Golden? Not even for most anticipated game?
you know what they say about COD you played one of them you played them all

charliesbass

Feb 22, 2012
Foolproof said:
charliesbass said:
The fact that Spec Ops: The Line was nominated for nothing, proves that Spike have so appreciation for art.
Journey? Whats that?
I see what you mean, but you don't need as much appreciation for art to understand Journey, as you do with Spec Ops: The Line.