Spike Reveals Gameplay Video of BioWare's Next Game

Andy Chalk

One Flag, One Fleet, One Cat
Nov 12, 2002
Spike Reveals Gameplay Video of BioWare's Next Game

A video teaser of BioWare's next game and some interesting analysis of what it might be have floated to the surface of the internet.

You've probably heard that BioWare is hard at work on a new game that will be unveiled at the 2011 screenshot [http://vga.spike.com] was released with last week's announcement of the forthcoming announcement, but now we have something a whole lot meatier: a gameplay video clip.

Oh, who am I kidding? It's two seconds of gameplay buried inside a 24-second VGAs ad, hardly better than the image of some idiot sprinting down an invisible vertical wall. But here's something that is: speculation posted on Mercenaries [http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=32498690&postcount=281] series.

Here's the reasoning:

Visceral Los Angeles is no more, apparently as evidenced by its absence from the list of studios on the Visceral careers page [http://www.visceralgames.com/careers].
Visceral Los Angeles was formed from the remains of Pandemic Studios, which at one point was part of BioWare.
Visceral Los Angeles, and Pandemic before it [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96344-Pandemic-Had-Multiplayer-Mercenaries-in-the-Works], was working on Mercs Inc. before it became a Frostbite 2 game.
"Conceptually," Mercs Inc., as seen in this YouTube video [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNwRYU6xrJ8], looked very similar to the brief flash of footage shown in this VGAs ad.

Will BioWare serve up some open-world military mayhem in its next game? This is the kind of speculation that I can really get behind: thoroughly researched by someone else. And although the video is admittedly a joke by any measure, at least this demonstrates that it's not necessarily entirely useless - which is more than you can say about the VGAs.

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
I recall Bioware saying that they wanted to get out of making RPG's, so it wouldn't be too far off to speculate that their next game could be a modern military open world game of sorts.

NinjaDeathSlap

Leaf on the wind
Feb 20, 2011
Mercenaries might be coming back... Fuck to the Yeah!

If I ever needed a reason to love Bioware more than I already do, this would be it.

Scizophrenic Llama

Is in space!
Dec 5, 2007
Scars Unseen said:
"From a new Bioware studio..." What's that supposed to mean?
This was explained to some extent during EA's press conference at this year's E3. They are branching out their sectors of gaming. Bioware in the process was given more resources and they were given control over some of the smaller development teams(which is where the new would come in from).

GartarkMusik

Jan 24, 2011
If this is really a sequel to the Mercenaries series, let's hope BioWare can make a better game than the god-awful Mercs 2. They haven't disappointed me yet, so heres hoping!!

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Scizophrenic Llama said:
Scars Unseen said:
"From a new Bioware studio..." What's that supposed to mean?
This was explained to some extent during EA's press conference at this year's E3. They are branching out their sectors of gaming. Bioware in the process was given more resources and they were given control over some of the smaller development teams(which is where the new would come in from).
So if EA is the publisher, and some other development team is making the game, that makes Bioware what? Middle management? I am thrilled for their promotion. Really, I am.

Sucal

Dragonborn Ponyeater
Dec 23, 2009
On the plus side its a possible new Mercenaries game. On the downside, its a new Mercenaries game made by BIOWARE. Sure, it wont be the 'true' Bioware, instead being a studio taking the bioware name in order to make extra cash from its former reputation, but its still incompatible with their previous design statements and strengths.

On the plus side, it might mean we no longer have to listen to Fiona talk about her Skillz with a Zed.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
Bioware - Daddy, can we make a different game this time, no more RPG's they are too hard
EA - Sure thing pal, why don't you be like your big brother DICE and make military games
Bioware - YAY! thanks daddy

Apr 28, 2008
Eh, after Mercenaries 2... I'm not sure if I want another.

Suppose I'll wait until the actual footage comes out, because that two seconds were... lame. Tanks shooting trucks. Whoopie...

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mercenaries done by Bioware. What, do we need to have a moral choice about whether we should side with our target or not?

kickyourass

Apr 17, 2010
Bioware, making the next Mercenaries game? I want this to happen as much as possible, but until we get something more solid I'll just say, don't repeat the mistakes of Mercs 2.

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
I don't think that what I've seen really fits Bioware's style but those were only two seconds. So of course I'll wait until they show us more before I'll judge this.