Spike TV Video Game Awards Renamed "VGX," Airs December 7

Michael Epstein

Sep 9, 2013
Spike TV Video Game Awards Renamed "VGX," Airs December 7

Out with the VGAs, in with VGX.

With game of the year season rapidly approaching, it's almost time for everyone favorite holiday tradition... The Spike TV Video Game Awards. Cue show organizer and GameTrailers TV host Geoff Keighley, who announced on Twitter [https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/401203814180466688] last night that Spike was changing a few parts of the show, starting with its name.

The Spike TV Video Game Awards are now to be referred to as VGX. Whatever you prefer to call it, the show will be shown on Spike TV and stream across a wide array of digital platforms when it airs December 7 at 6pm Eastern.

It's unclear what Keighley is referring to when he mentions the show's "expanded digital footprint." He may be referring to the fact that the show will stream on a whole bunch of platforms and websites: According to the Spike website [http://www.spike.com/vgx/about], the show will be viewable online through Xbox Live, PSN, Twitch, VGXLIVE.com, Hulu, Yahoo Screen, Spike.com, ComedyCentral.com MTV.com, MTV2.com, BET.com and GameTrailers.com. Then again, he could be talking about anything.

Keighley says details are coming soon, but in the meantime there's no clue as to what games may be nominated or who's hosting the show. For now, fans can vote for their most anticipated game of 2014. [http://www.spike.com/vgx/most-anticipated-game]

Regardless of wins, we expect it will be a newsworthy affair as always: Like last night's PS4 launch show on Spike, the VGAs are often packed with high-profile trailers announcing new games and/or release dates. Let's just hope there's nothing as confusing as last year's Phantom Pain debacle.

Sources: Spike TV [https://twitter.com/geoffkeighley/status/401203814180466688]

synobal

Jun 8, 2011
Oh man, these spike Tv awards they are so bad an exercise in ugg. It's just a bunch of corporations awarding each other stuff in a PR orgy of epic proportions.

Bix96

Oct 10, 2012
synobal said:
Oh man, these spike Tv awards they are so bad an exercise in ugg. It's just a bunch of corporations awarding each other stuff in a PR orgy of epic proportions.
I don't really understand all the hate for the VGAs. I only watch them when I have nothing better to do but they never seem as bad as people make them out to be and if I'm not mistaken both Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim were revealed at the VGAs so they are at least good for that.

The Apple BOOM

Nov 16, 2012
Bix96 said:
synobal said:
I don't really understand all the hate for the VGAs. I only watch them when I have nothing better to do but they never seem as bad as people make them out to be and if I'm not mistaken both Mass Effect 3 and Skyrim were revealed at the VGAs so they are at least good for that.
The problem is that they're the face of video game academia. The rest of the world looks at this and says, "so this is how seriously video games take themselves." They are beyond terrible in that regard.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
So are we to take it that the new name is an exercise in initialisms that don't mean anything but just have a 'cool' letter in them to look all, like, cool and stuff bro? What was wrong with calling an award ceremony celebrating games of a videographicalised nature the 'Video Game Awards'? If they want it to look cool and egdy then I would recommend a rerebranding to the ~Xx.]{5p1k3\/G/\5}[.xX~'[email protected] and make full use of the full 1990s vibe.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
All I know is that when GTA V takes home the award for best soundtrack (and you know it will) I am going to /gquit the human race.

Is it even worth watching when you know one game is going to win everything?

Goliath100

Sep 29, 2009
Fappy said:
All I know is that when GTA V takes home the award for best soundtrack (and you know it will) I am going to /quit the human race.
You joking? GTA V gonna win best puzzle game on the virtue of being GTA.

nomaner

May 9, 2012
The only reaction I have to this name change. (still don't know how to post vids or pic on this forum)
http://youtu.be/zzNCoObx92M?t=1s

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
nomaner said:
The only reaction I have to this name change. (still don't know how to post vids or pic on this forum)
http://youtu.be/zzNCoObx92M?t=1s
You can embed youtube videos by doing this:

[ youtube = (the random code here) ] without the spaces.

So your vid would be:

[ youtube = zzNCoObx92M?t=1s ]

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
If I can recollect properly, the Academy Awards have yet to give Christopher Lee an Oscar, snubbed Gone with the Wind and awarded Moulin Rouge multiple nominations for unbelievable pretense.

So frankly, I'd only feel mildly annoyed if VGX awarded a game like Battlefield 4 for being a fine example of video game storytelling. I guess they are getting better as an award show, but this name change just makes me doubt their attempts at positive change.

Ed130 The Vanguard

(Insert witty quote here)
Sep 10, 2008
trty00 said:
Fappy said:
Which it totally deserves because the radio stations are excellent in their variety and the score is incredible, but I'm getting off topic. Besides, if you remember from last year it was Journey and The Walking Dead that sweeped the awards, not CoD Blops 2.
So you're saying that the award for best soundtrack should go to GTA5 for its licensed music?

The Spike VGA's are terribad in that soulless corporate way (compared to The Academy's 'White, 50 something, I hate all science fiction/fantasy' kind) but even they have some ground rules.

Kingjackl

Nov 18, 2009
I'm waiting for the 'Best Male Performance' award to be announced so we get to decide between Troy Baker as Booker, Troy Baker as Joel, and possibly Troy Baker as the Joker.

Stevepinto3

Jun 4, 2009
So does the X stand for something or is Spike TV just concerned that they're not aiming low enough for their target demographic?

Either way I'm not going to be watching, not after 2011's tea-bag incident that managed to embarrass me while I was home alone. I could rant about how this is hugely detrimental to the image of the industry thanks to it being the most visible awards ceremony, or how the show is more focused on marketing upcoming titles than actually reflecting on the creative medium, but honestly I just don't want to waste the brain cells on this crap.

Flunk

Feb 17, 2008
Spike TV's video game awards have always been a load of crap. The criteria is totally arbitrary and poorly explained and the sponsorship is rampant. It might as well be a big long commercial. The "winners" are always totally mindless mass market crap like the Battlefield series (not saying they're bad, but they're not exactly revolutionary games).

2xDouble

Mar 15, 2010
Let's not pretend this is some grand rebranding as a pretense for revolution or regime change, or anything really. They changed the name because people who still watch Spike aren't old enough to know what the term "VGA" is in reference to... and because adding the letter X makes things sound cool.

Speaking of being old, I noticed the cover picture... I did indeed see what you did there, and you should be ashamed of yourself for reminding people of that.

Grabehn

Sep 22, 2012
So... does the X in VGX stand for anything at all? Or is it one of those dumbass changes stupid people do in order to make stuff sound "edgy" and "hip"?