Spinosaurus has a new look...again

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA

Apparently, what we knew about Spinosaurus was wrong again as now it was discovered to have a very wide, swimming tail. All I have to say is I can't wait until five years when we discovered it shoots lasers from its eyes.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Spinosaurus is one of those interesting cases in dinosaur history with Brontosaurus and Therizinosaurus. They just keep finding new stuff about it that completely changes how we look at it.

When I first saw this thing in Jurassic Park 3 I knew that it was scientifically inaccurate due to the long, slender jaws that weren't meant for taking on large prey. I figured it was more in line with Baryonyx and it went for a more aquatic life style just by looking at its jaws alone. I was a big paleo nerd when I was a kid so I did notice a lot of similarities between dinosaur species and birds.

But will we ever solve the part where it either has a dorsal fin or a hump? Find out next time on Tully's Paleo Mysteries!

Godzillarich(aka tf2godz)

Get the point
Legacy
Aug 1, 2011
Cretaceous
Country
USA
Spinosaurus is one of those interesting cases in dinosaur history with Brontosaurus and Therizinosaurus. They just keep finding new stuff about it that completely changes how we look at it.
Paleontology history is fascinating, with real-world politics often cutting into the field. Untapped documentary potential.

But will we ever solve the part where it either has a dorsal fin or a hump? Find out next time on Tully's Paleo Mysteries!
Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's a sail considering another aquatic animal, the swordfish also has a sail pretty similar sail. got a look at convergent evolution to make a hypothesis.

Reactions: Ghostrick Dorklord

Ghostrick Dorklord

Ordinary High School Girl
Legacy
Oct 2, 2009
Through the Looking Glass
Country
Wonderland
Paleontology history is fascinating, with real-world politics often cutting into the field. Untapped documentary potential.
Yeah I love reading about it all the time. When Dracovish and its buddies where introduced to the Pokemon world I was like "ohhh boy" and learned a lot of the crazy history behind all the scams in paleontology. This is all really fascinating stuff.

Honestly, I'm pretty sure it's a sail considering another aquatic animal, the swordfish also has a sail pretty similar sail. got a look at convergent evolution to make a hypothesis.
I'm on Team Sail myself because yeah the sail appears a lot during history, like Dimetrodon for example despite not being related to dinosaurs. I can understand why people think its a hump and the advantage for it, namely for temperature, but a sail makes more sense like the swordfish example as it helps "cut" through water faster. And if research on similar structures like Stegosaurus' plates then it has temperature regulation anyways. lol

So who wants to send Nintendo angry emails to fix the Spinosaurus model in Animal Crossing?

Specter Von Baren

Annoying Green Gadfly
Legacy
Aug 25, 2013
I don't know, send help!
Country
USA
I've begun theorizing that we may someday find out Stegosaurus's plates helped support a peacock like frill of feathers or that they grew feathers around their tail spikes to hide them.