Splatoon Review - What Were They Inking?

tstorm823

Elite Member
Legacy
Aug 4, 2011
Country
USA
JonB said:
14 years.

And step off my title. This is a game they never should have made because it shouldn't be good, and yet it is. It's a casual title in a hardcore genre.

What were they fucking thinking?
Since you played the game and enjoyed it, I'd assume you can figure out what they were thinking. They were thinking whatever things make the game fun. Or are you suggesting that they didn't know what they were doing and made a fun game by accident?

CrystalShadow

don't upset the insane catgirl
Apr 11, 2009
LutjaSuki said:
so Nintendo make another fun game - news at 11!

Does nintendo ever release bad games? Still the wii U is languishing. Retro fans should buy wii u's when they become cheap soon as this system is going to be the expensive cult favourite 7-10 years from now.
Not that I've noticed, and I've seen a lot of them.

Their worst games are merely kind of average. It's almost impossible to find one that's outright bad, though you can find a few that are flawed to a greater or lesser degree. And some also give off the impression of last minute corner-cutting. (especially evident in games being great most of the way through, but then suddenly seeming comparitively rough around the edges. Or, in some cases, being generally awesome, but ending abrubtly in a place that seems rather sudden and unexpected. )

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Does this mean that the Escapist won't put Yahtzee to play Splatoon for a Zero Punctuation episode? If so, would he feel lucky or unlucky?
A Nintendo game with multiplayer focus? Lucky as fuck.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
CaitSeith said:
Does this mean that the Escapist won't put Yahtzee to play Splatoon for a Zero Punctuation episode? If so, would he feel lucky or unlucky?
It has single-player mode. He usually skips the multiplayer in those cases.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
CaitSeith said:
I know but the game seems to be aiming for multiplayer first, with a token single player campaign (like Titanfall) thrown in last.

Dango

Feb 11, 2010
Huh, I thought this game was still a few months out. Now I have a reason to buy a Wii U.

Lightspeaker

Dec 31, 2011
One thing that hit me in this review was "traditional shooter game leveling up". I find it kinda depressing that that is a thing that is now considered "traditional" given how much I despise it as a mechanic. -_-

Anyway everything I heard about Splatoon makes it sound pretty fun and stuff. But its still not enough to justify the purchase of a Wii U for me; it helps but its not enough by itself. The new Xenoblade might though.

Arcadian Legend

Blame your fate!
Jan 9, 2012
DarklordKyo said:
Steve the Pocket said:
Still, first new proper first-party IP from Nintendo in quite a while, eh?
The Wonderful 101?
Wonderful 101, while it was published by Nintendo, and I think is somewhat considered a Nintendo IP, was made by a third party developer. A somewhat recent IP that does count though is Xenoblade back in 2010 (despite what a seemingly surprising amount of people think otherwise, Monolithsoft has been a first party developer for Nintendo since 2007) which had a (spiritual) sequel just release for the Wii U in Japan a month ago, called Xenonlade X (Cross)Speaking of which, I'm super hyped for XBX coming to the West even though I normally never do get this hyped for games anymore. Seriously going off of LP's and Japanese reviews it's looking to be really, really good.

Other recent first party IP's off the top of my head include Pushmo(2011)and HarmoKnight(2013) And then there's the very recent Code Name S.T.E.A.M this year.

CaitSeith

Formely Gone Gonzo
Legacy
Jun 30, 2014
Johnny Novgorod said:
CaitSeith said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
CaitSeith said:
I know but the game seems to be aiming for multiplayer first, with a token single player campaign (like Titanfall) thrown in last.
Titanfall doesn't have single player. The whole game is multiplayer, including the main campaign.

Aineko

Sep 16, 2014
JonB said:
Steve the Pocket said:
14 years.
First new IP from *EAD in 14 years, Nintendo as whole has had quite a few in that time but mostly from their smaller studios.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
Inking is my Business and Business is Flood

Made it all the way to level 8 in the three and half hours I had to play today before work

Steve the Pocket

Mar 30, 2009
CaitSeith said:
He usually skips the multiplayer because he hates dealing with the kind of teabagging, gutter-mouthed mic-spammers who tend to inhabit them. Ninty has done a pretty good job making sure the online experience in this game is no less pleasant than playing on the couch with friends, or more accurately no less pleasant than doing that would be if it were an option.

JonB said:
This is a game they never should have made because it shouldn't be good, and yet it is. It's a casual title in a hardcore genre.
Eh, I'd call Team Fortress 2 casual enough (with my ability to appreciate it as Exhibit A). Or at least it was, before they introduced so much extra guff to feel utterly daunting to any new players.

Arcadian Legend said:
DarklordKyo said:
Steve the Pocket said:
The Wonderful 101?
Wonderful 101, while it was published by Nintendo, and I think is somewhat considered a Nintendo IP, was made by a third party developer. A somewhat recent IP that does count though is Xenoblade back in 2010 (despite what a seemingly surprising amount of people think otherwise, Monolithsoft has been a first party developer for Nintendo since 2007) which had a (spiritual) sequel just release for the Wii U in Japan a month ago, called Xenonlade X (Cross)Speaking of which, I'm super hyped for XBX coming to the West even though I normally never do get this hyped for games anymore. Seriously going off of LP's and Japanese reviews it's looking to be really, really good.

Other recent first party IP's off the top of my head include Pushmo(2011)and HarmoKnight(2013) And then there's the very recent Code Name S.T.E.A.M this year.
To be fair I also forgot about Tomodachi Life.