Splatoon Wins Japan Game Awards GOTY

Steven Bogos

The Taco Man
Jan 17, 2013
Splatoon Wins Japan Game Awards GOTY

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/937/937010.jpg
Runners up included Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid V, and The Witcher 3.

At Tokyo Game Show [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/tag/view/tokyo%20game%20show%202016?os=tokyo+game+show+2016], the Japan Game Awards takes the show to announce its own "Game of The Year" award winners. This year, Nintendo's Splatoon, despite releasing in May, 2015, won the over all game of the year for 2016. Runners up included Fallout 4, Metal Gear Solid V, and The Witcher 3.

The "best sales" award went to Capcom's Monster Hunter Cross, which has sold over 3.3 million copies worldwide. Super Smash Bros. For Wii U And 3DS won the Global Award for a Japanese Product, and Call of Duty: Black Ops III won the Global Award for a Foreign product.

The full list of recipients of the "Award of Excellence," (aka: runners-up) is as follows:

Dark Souls III
Dragon Quest Builders
Fallout 4
Metal Gear Solid V
Minecraft
Monster Hunter Cross
Super Mario Maker
The Witcher 3
Yo-kai Watch Blasters

Click here [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/17225-Tokyo-Game-Show-2016-Summary] to check out the rest of our Tokyo Game Show 2016 coverage!

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Well Fallout 4 was a massive step down from New Vegas in the story department, MGSV didn't have a proper ending and a middle finger of a twist instead, Super Mario Maker is a cute idea but not much behind that, so it didn't have the stiffest competition in that regard. (And why the fuck is Minecraft a nominee for a 2016 GOTY award? It's been out for half a decade!)

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
But it's not Game From Last Year That's Staying Fresh, it's Game of The Year.
Well, if going just by the wording, it can be seen as "Game Of The Year Which Is A Game Still Played This Year And Wiping The Floor With Everything Else". Anything popular remains in the top. As someone else put it,
Las7 said:
Japan knows whats up

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Well, if going just by the wording, it can be seen as "Game Of The Year Which Is A Game Still Played This Year And Wiping The Floor With Everything Else". Anything popular remains in the top. As someone else put it,
Las7 said:
Japan knows whats up
By that rationale the Academy Award for Best Movie should be given to The Godfather every year. But I get it, you like the game.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
Johnny Novgorod said:
By that rationale the Academy Award for Best Movie should be given to The Godfather every year. But I get it, you like the game.
I've honestly never played the game. It's just good to see something get an award for being a good game even a year later(presumably with updates) instead of the least-worst to come out that year.

MortalKomic

Carmichael
Mar 5, 2011
Johnny Novgorod said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Las7 said:
Japan knows whats up
See what you mean, and I agree with you, but admittedly comparing a game that is continually modified to a movie that hasn't been touched is disingenuous. Comparing Star Wars to modern games however...

Timedraven 117

Jan 5, 2011
MortalKomic said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
LegendaryGamer0 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Las7 said:
Japan knows whats up
See what you mean, and I agree with you, but admittedly comparing a game that is continually modified to a movie that hasn't been touched is disingenuous. Comparing Star Wars to modern games however...
What like it started out good, and then producers and developers fuck it and its fanbase up with every sequal?

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Not sure what the criteria is for this award, but I can't complain. I myself still play Splatoon regularly.

Dec 16, 2009
Hero of Lime said:
Not sure what the criteria is for this award, but I can't complain. I myself still play Splatoon regularly.
Do you still have to play with the Wii U controller? or is the Pro allowed now?

Fulbert

Jan 15, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Hero of Lime said:
I don't think pro controllers have gyro sensors so no, only wii u tablet gamepad things are allowed.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Wait, why is it weird to decide the game of the year 2015 now? Oh, wait the opening post worded it a bit weird...

These are the CESA Awards and the games taken into considerations are those released in the last fiscal year, in this case April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016.

September may seem late to hand out these rewards, but that's when Tokyo Game Show is traditionally held. So... yeah.

MHR

Apr 3, 2010
I feel it deserves it, most importantly because most other games that year were bollocks. Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 seem like very close seconds, but I don't think they hit as broad an appeal as a Nintendo title that appeals to all audiences adequately with an original concept.

Hero of Lime

Staaay Fresh!
Jun 3, 2013
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Hero of Lime said:
Still the gamepad only. Which makes sense since it's so important to how you play the game. Having access the map in real time on the gamepad is very important, and you need the gamepad to be able to jump to teammates and use certain specials.

Fox12

AccursedT- see you space cowboy
Jun 6, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
Why is a 2015 game winning GOTY 2016?
Good question. A better one is why Minecraft was nominated for GOTY 2016. Nothing makes sense anymore.

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Fox12 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
Why is a 2015 game winning GOTY 2016?
Good question. A better one is why Minecraft was nominated for GOTY 2016. Nothing makes sense anymore.
Copypasta:

These are the CESA Awards and the games taken into considerations are those released in the last fiscal year, in this case April 1, 2015 to March 31, 2016.

September may seem late to hand out these rewards, but that's when Tokyo Game Show is traditionally held. So... yeah.
Oh, but by 'released' I meant 'released in Japan'. That explains Minecraft. If a version - maybe the Vita or Wii U one? - did come out that timeframe in Japan, it qualifies for the CESA Awards.

Again, these games were not nominated for or awarded 'GOTY 2016'. They recieved a GOTY award in 2016. Not the same thing.

Las7

Nov 22, 2014
It's like the biggest console game in Japan since the Wii was discontinued. Japanese console games haven't been selling well since the PS2/Wii. Splatoon is the biggest new IP since Wii Sports in Japan. The situation for console games in Japan isn't very good and despite the every shrinking market Splatoon performed phenomenally. I expect it to perform even better on the NX handheld when that releases there, since handhelds are still huge in Japan compared to consoles. 3DS games still sell 2-5 million there compared to what consoles do it's like light and day. Below are the top selling games for consoles this gen(digital figures aren't provided)

Top Selling Games this gen for Japan:
Wii U:
1) Splatoon - 1,461,203
2) New Super Mario Bros. U ? 1,252,654
3) Mario Kart 8 ? 1.187.570

PS4:
1) Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain - 432,629
2) Knack - 400,888