Splinter Cell Producer Calls Conviction a "Rescue Job"

basm321

Sep 14, 2011
Gradient shadows, gradient sound, and gradient sneeking speed... I have not seen anything to suggest those.

Warped_Ghost

Sep 26, 2009
BlindChance said:
I'm just boycotting it because of the awful torture scene in it; which is just totally uncalled for. I'm sick of stories using torture to appear "edgy". If it turns out that it's not as bad as early reports, I will change my mind.
Did you even play conviction? There are tons of torture related elements in that game. (eg. face to paper shredder )

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
The problem is why waste 15 minutes doing a section of a level stealthly when the same section can be done in 1 Rambo style?

Give the game an extra hard mode where Rambo-ing doesnt work

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
josemlopes said:
The problem is why waste 15 minutes doing a section of a level stealthly when the same section can be done in 1 Rambo style?

Give the game an extra hard mode where Rambo-ing doesnt work
Bonus points/tech/cash/whatever for cleaning an area out without kills? Otherwise, one of the main things I loved about games like Chaos Theory was spending 10-15 minutes taking note of all the enemies' positions and planning my attack, then executing it, letting it all unfold without a hitch, and not a single death.

I find that style of play much more rewarding than just gunning everyone down like a gormless marine.

BlindChance

Librarian
Sep 8, 2009
Warped_Ghost said:
Did you even play conviction? There are tons of torture related elements in that game. (eg. face to paper shredder )
I did, and was uncomfortable with it there, too. I gave it a shot anyway, because Richard Dansky is a helluva writer (check out his old pen and paper RPG stuff sometime) but even then, just no. Won't do it.

Rooster Cogburn

May 24, 2008
Zhukov said:
If it's possible to just Rambo through the levels, what's the point of being stealthy? Being able to just gun everyone down makes sneaking around feel like a waste of time.

I have this problem with a lot of games that try to be action-y and stealthy at the same time.
That's what I would think if I had never played Chaos Theory. I am the "ghost" type I think, with maybe a little bit of "panther". I played on the hardest difficulty. If I got discovered, I killed the guy for making me load an earlier save so I could try again and get it right. When I had to kill, I hid the bodies carefully and I always left doors and switches in the position I found them in. The game also had a scoring system that rewarded stealth over violence and gave you points for watching all those little details. And you could choose between stealth equipment, the big guns, or balanced before each level. I always chose stealth of course. I didn't even look at the score, I just had to get it done stealthily or I felt like it was a failure even if I didn't actually get a Game Over.

Scorpid

Jul 24, 2011
I hated conviction personally. You can't have both absolute run and gun in the same game you have stealth and expect them to be equally viable at the same time in the same situation. Stealth is by it's nature used because you don't outgun the opponent. The Predator from the first Predator movie, didn't run blades out face first into Arnold and his entire crew for a reason, he'd of been slaughtered. I think if they're REALLY insistent on having both stealth and action in the same game they should just give the player the choice at the beginning of the game to play one way or another, though you run into the problem of since the mechanics are completely changed they'd essentially be two games with the same maps... but regardless this the reason I'm not all that excited for that new Dishonored game or Blacklist. Why do they think we need blood pumping run and gun action? Don't we already have that with the likes of Max Payne, Uncharted, Gears of War? Why do we need another when that market niche seems pretty cornered. Makes no sense since the true stealth game market has been pretty desolate for a while.

crazyrabbits

Jul 10, 2012
Grey Carter said:
"I'm not going to go into the whole story, but Conviction was kind of a rescue job for me," producer, Maxime Béland, told Joystiq. "It wasn't going well. We changed the direction and kind of shipped the game in two years. So Conviction is very sweet and sour for me."

According to Béland, Conviction was little more than a "stepping stone" towards Blacklist, which will be more accommodating to non-murderous players.
Wait, what?

Conviction's production problems were well-known. Ubisoft changed the game mid-development due to fears that the gameplay was too similar to Assassin's Creed. That, and the already-released trailers and chunks of gameplay footage showed much more variation and uniqueness than the finished product - you could physically move many objects in the game world, you could use distractions and non-violent means to throw off your enemies, and the whole point of the early build was to stay inconspicuous while you investigate your daughter's murder.

Also, from what I remember at the time, there was a lot of backlash to Sam's new look and the gameplay mechanics, necessitating a change to a more action-oriented, faster-paced game.

I would much rather have played that build than the final release, even though I love what it ended up becoming.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I personally loved conviction and I had no idea it had so many troubles in development, it would explain why it seemed much less stealthy than any of the previous titles (something that appealed to me as an idiot who can't stealth things for shit).

In a way this gives me high hopes for Blacklist.