Spoiler Alert!

uppitycracker

Oct 9, 2008
I absolutely, 100% HATE, and I mean HATE, spoilers. Whether they be in the trailers for the game, in a review or just some jackass on a forum. I intentionally avoid all media about a game that I'm interested in, from posts on this site, to gameplay videos. Hell, after MW2 I had to stop watching trailers for the damned games.

It's the same way with TV or movies. If I even hear about one part, I'll spend the entire damn movie keeping my eyes out for it, expecting each scene to play into it. Takes away from the full experience, and it gets me enraged.

It's become a lot harder with the internet, especially for gaming. I've read articles here that have contained massive spoilers, which is why I'm even pickier about what I read on this site. I know it's kinda hard, especially after a game comes out, to tailor articles to prevent that kinda thing (especially when controversy comes into play), so I try not to ***** too much, but yeah, it's definitely getting in the way of me wasting time at work.

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
punkhead58 said:
Susan Arendt said:
If you don't watch your mouth I'll break your knees, too.
[sub]Two links and a sentence? If you weren't part of the Escapist Committee, you'd be probated for low-content posting. [/sub]
Please don't tell me that you've been part of the community for a year and a half and this is the first time you've ventured into the discussion thread for one of our articles?

Apr 28, 2008
EMFCRACKSHOT said:
I couldn't agree more. And its been a real pain in the arse trying to avoid Mass Effect 2 spoilers. Especially considering the yanks have had for three days now ¬¬
Its a shame to. Since I only heard parts of the story and still the experience feels soured...

Try to avoid anything you can. The game will be 1000x times better for it.

It also doesn't hurt that it is amazing by itself either, despite things being spoiled ;)

Internet Kraken

Animalia Mollusca Cephalopada
Mar 18, 2009
I've never understood people who think spoilers aren't bad. While I certainly value gameplay over story, that doesn't mean you should just come and spoil the ending to me. Luckily most people seem to be sensible about spoilers and avoid posting them. Unless they are, like you said, trying to be a dick.

Though I find that most of the time I spoil things for myself. I spoiled a large majority of Dragon Age: Origins story before I played it. However, that was because I went around opening spoiler tags because I thought I wouldn't play Dragon Age: Origins. I tend to do that with a lot of games. But I'm forcing myself to not do this with Mass Effect 2. The only thing I spoiled for myself were minor things that I had already predicted. I went tinto this game's story mostly blind, and I'm enjoying it much more as a result.

factualsquirrel said:
Well, the biggest bit in the game is when you get attacked by a giant squid.
Not completley inaccurate. Couldn't you consider Sovereign to be a space squid? I mean, he kinda looks like one. At least to me.

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
I agree completely, however, my irritation with this is largely directed at Bioware itself, and/or EA, whoever needs to be blamed.

Whatever happen to devs being tight-lipped about storylines? This time around, they leaked every damn bit of detail in official sources all over the place. Even the trailers (awesome as the last one was) revealed far too much about what was going on.

I have reasonable faith in forums, where I can avoid ME2 threads, trust that there will be spoiler alerts, etc. But I do like to check on official reports on the games progress, read about new gameplay mechanics, design choices, etc.. But here, they careless mixed in information about the plot, allies, enemies, etc.., everywhere you looked.

When ME3 comes around, I'm not reading or otherwise looking at everything. I'll fail, but that's the plan.

Monshroud

Evil Overlord
Jul 29, 2009
I liked the article Susan. I admit I get rather displeased when people on the forums don't use the spoiler tags, just assuming that everyone who happens to look in wants to know everything.

After Bioshock 2 is released I am actually going to shy away from the forums regarding the game until I finish it. While it may not be a big deal to some people, it's a big deal to me.

Kinda like when I saw 'The Usual Suspects' for the first time and a little after the half-way point she turns to me and says "So, did you figure out that is Keiser Soze yet?" I looked at her in shock!

FactualSquirrel

Dec 10, 2009
Internet Kraken said:
Not completley inaccurate. Couldn't you consider Sovereign to be a space squid? I mean, he kinda looks like one. At least to me.
Well, the guy was talking about Modern warfare 2, not mass effect 2, so that's technically not correct.

Also, thanks for ruining Mass effect for me, even if I am on of the people you claim not to understand who doesn't care about spoilers.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Susan Arendt said:
factualsquirrel said:
brodie21 said:
i have managed to avoid informing myself about ME2, i hope i will be able to keep this up until i can buy the game
Well, the biggest bit in the game is when you get attacked by a giant squid.

Make sure no one tells you about that.
A) That made me snicker.

B) Your user name also made me snicker.

:D
XD! Same.

Althouygh, playing ME2 now and its pretty hawt

CyberKnight

Jan 29, 2009
The biggest surprise is finding out that Wrex is really Commander Shepard's father. 8O

I definitely know my experience changes when a game has been "spoiled" for me. Instead of being interested in the story, in the back of my mind there's a mental checklist that's getting checked off as I go through it. "Yep, seen that, ok, now that's happened, now I know that x, y, and z are yet to come." Instead of just enjoying the story as it unfolds, I'm subconsciously focusing on looking for the things that will lead me to the x, y, and z that I know I still have on the "to do" list.

The same with movies and their previews, which seem to show more and more, or show you a snip from the thrilling climax or end of the movie. Sure, you don't know how that scene is going to come about, but in the back of your mind, you know it's coming, so you're just waiting for the event to unfold until you finally go, "A-ha, there's the scene." (Which is pretty much how I felt through the entire movie Avatar, even though I'd never seen a preview -- but that's beside the point.)

I still think Darth Maul's double-bladed lightsaber reveal could've been such a "WOW" moment that would've almost made up for all of Jar-Jar Binks's scenes, if it hadn't been spoiled by every trailer, preview clip, poster, game, and toy that was released with or before the movie even hit the big screen.

Maybe that's why, when I played Mass Effect 1, I wasn't impressed with the main story, but some of the side quests and minor plot points intrigued me; because by the time I picked it up (over a year after its release), the main story had been discussed to death while the secondaries were barely mentioned. I also thought the sex/relationship moment was pretty extraneous, but again, it might've had something to do with the fact that I knew it was coming, I knew it wasn't that big of a deal, and that checklist in the back of my mind was just ticking things off until it got to the "ok, there's the scene, get your achievement, now back to the game" step.

Frenger

May 31, 2009
Funny you mention this, as Bioware themselfs add spoilers to pretty much every advert/promo they ever put out about this game(and Dragon Age: Origins).

Like this;

"AND GUYS, SHEPARD DIES... OR MAAAAYBE HE DOESN'T!

... AND THEN HE...!"

I want to play the game, THEN find out... god damn it, sometimes I hate Bioware for robbing the fun from their own games.

I have to wait ANOTHER week for my game(Collectors edition) because I'm a European :(

Earthbound Engineer

Jun 9, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Please don't tell me that you've been part of the community for a year and a half and this is the first time you've ventured into the discussion thread for one of our articles?
Please excuse me, Sir Buzz-Kill, I wasn't aware that I had to use forum mark-up to express the tone of my posts. I apologize.

punkhead58 said:
[sarcasm]
Two links and a sentence? If you weren't part of the Escapist Committee, you'd be probated for low-content posting.
[/sarcasm]
Happy now?

jjwa

Mar 29, 2009
Nice article. I agree strongly.

I myself am a very whiny person when it comes to spoilers. After I found out the answer to "Do I need to see/play this?" is yes (games, movies or TV series), I really do not want to know a single additional thing. Not the actors, not the story, not the setting, not a single unimportant detail. Every little thing can be seen as a tool used by the creator to at the least help create a certain atmosphere. And it's so much stronger when you can 'discover' those details for yourself :)

The Random One

May 29, 2008
I just want to say, if the first time you play Portal you already know GLADoS is supposed to be funny, half the fun is taken away.

andrat

Jan 14, 2009
Spoilers, are not good things.

When there's a game (like Mass Effect 2) which I'm interested for the story as well as the gameplay, I do not want to know anything about the story.

If it's a game like AVP where I'm buying for the gameplay, then sure, tell me the story

Nalesnik

Nov 10, 2008
The Random One said:
I just want to say, if the first time you play Portal you already know GLADoS is supposed to be funny, half the fun is taken away.
Indeed, that happened to me. Still enjoyed the game, but it could have been so much better going in blind.

On the up side tho: My personal "Info Blackout Campaigns" for FF13, Bioshock 2, and Last Guardian are going quite successful. =)

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
punkhead58 said:
Logan Westbrook said:
Please excuse me, Sir Buzz-Kill, I wasn't aware that I had to use forum mark-up to express the tone of my posts. I apologize.

punkhead58 said:
[sarcasm]
Two links and a sentence? If you weren't part of the Escapist Committee, you'd be probated for low-content posting.
[/sarcasm]
Happy now?
That's not an apology, that's passive-aggression and sarcasm! You know how I value precision, I can't believe you'd make that mistake. Please try harder in future.

Andronicus

Terror Australis
Mar 25, 2009
SNAPE KILLS DUMBLEDORE!!

Oh lordy, I do beg your pardon, don't know what came over me. Ahem.

I loathe spoilers with a passion. I'm one of those strange rhino-people from planet Whatsimahoosits who actually value a good story over gameplay. I've seen enough of the same thing done over and over again to make me care very much about most new games, and when something that appears to have a vaguely good story comes along and some dick decides to ruin it, I see red. Half the times it turns out the story is actually rubbish anyway, but that's not the point. When I'm playing a game, or reading a book, or watching a movie, I like to be in the dark, anticipating some major plot twist that may or may not be there. Without that, the magic of it just disappears.

SaintWaldo

Interzone Vagabond
Jun 10, 2008
Hitchcock hated spoilers enough to shoot special reels that played before Psycho urging viewers not to give away the surprise ending to others who hadn't seen it. Fifty-odd years later, I still think it's bad cricket to give away the ending of that movie to the uninitiated.

If the master of suspense detested the effect of spoilers, I would think critics, any of them, at the VERY LEAST, should too.