Spoiler Alert!

Dec 16, 2009
I remember a guy on an Xbox 360 FB group who time and time again spoilered.
Alot of the time it was games I wasn't interested in, but, he was constantly warned about it, so I think he did it out of spite.
I blocked him in the end. I can't stand selfish people.

Gladion

Jan 19, 2009
I'm usually a very collected and calm person, but when it comes to spoilers, I tend to get palpable. I mean palpable as in violent.
This one time my friend and I talked on the phone, and he was going to ask me a question about the ending of Full Metal Jacket when I shouted "STFU" and hung up.
I called him back right away and said I hadn't seen the movie yet - which I did the same day. He was lucky he wasn't around because I swear I would have punched the poor guy's face.
When I was finished, I called him again, to know what his question was, but by then he already forgot :(

whaleswiththumbs

Feb 13, 2009
Yeah, i agree with Susan here. I used to want to know the plot down to detail of a game, but now i'm fine with either the complete surprise of the game or little hints from people as to whats gonna happen, like if there is gonna be a suprise boss fight i wouldn't mind if someone hinted by saying, well you might want to get some more health potions before you do this. Nothing else, just that any farther and you've gone and ruined it really.

I do it occasionally with books. Infact if i'm reading a book, i can tell in the first chapter if I'm going to skip the rest and just wikipedia the details in. But this new book(well i got the sequel too) i picked up from the library, I am not even gonna google it because I want everything in this book to suprise me. Thats the thing, bad games/books/films i don't care if it's spoiled, but good media s8uch I want the geniune suprise to hit me.

Susan Arendt

Nerd Queen
Jan 9, 2007
whaleswiththumbs said:
Yeah, i agree with Susan here. I used to want to know the plot down to detail of a game, but now i'm fine with either the complete surprise of the game or little hints from people as to whats gonna happen, like if there is gonna be a suprise boss fight i wouldn't mind if someone hinted by saying, well you might want to get some more health potions before you do this. Nothing else, just that any farther and you've gone and ruined it really.

I do it occasionally with books. Infact if i'm reading a book, i can tell in the first chapter if I'm going to skip the rest and just wikipedia the details in. But this new book(well i got the sequel too) i picked up from the library, I am not even gonna google it because I want everything in this book to suprise me. Thats the thing, bad games/books/films i don't care if it's spoiled, but good media s8uch I want the geniune suprise to hit me.
Agreed. In cases where the game is of middling importance to me, I'm fine with someone spoiling events. But there should always be that "Do you care if I spoil this?" check before discussing something like that. That's all I'm saying.

ZE UBER MAGE

Dec 30, 2009
All I am saying is that I personaly agree with susan, if a game might be of interest, don't spoin, but if it isn't feel free to because you will probobly save us the time that we would have spent playing the stupid game and use it on something else, like watching tv.......... or shooting your neighbors goat.

Ironlenny

Feb 22, 2009
I find spoiler alerts annoying. For me, information is important. Knowing all the plot twists in a good movie only encourages me to see the film, as a well executed plot twist is a sign of a good movie. I find that my enjoyment of something is independent of my knowledge. Knowing the good bits (aka spoilers) allows me to better judge how well I'll like something. I relate media entertainment (Movies, books, games, etc...) to a roller coaster. One can see the whole track from where one is, but one's knowledge of the track does not diminish one's experience on the ride.

Knowledge, in fact, can heighten the experience. Having been told the upcoming plot twist, questions of execution and reaction come to the forefront. How will the plot twist be executed? Where will it come from? When will it happen? How will the characters react? Take the roller coaster example. You see a sharp turn ahead, as your car barrels on down the track. You anticipate how you will react to the gut wrenching turn. That anticipation accentuates the emotions you feel, ones of terror and exhilaration. No amount of knowledge, no amount of spoilers, can substitute for the actual experience.

stonethered

Mar 3, 2009
Man, I read faster than anyone in my entire family; so I tend towards the other side of spoilers.
I remember waiting easily a half a year while my brother finished the latest Harry Potter book just so I could discuss it with him. I had to carefully not answer every single question he asked with 'You'll see' or 'keep reading'. It's painful to go that long just to talk about something.

On the other hand, I too hate having spoilers for games, even if I know how something ends, please don't tell me. Half the fun of having a story is the buildup, what's the point of a buildup if it's told to you at the begining?

Spoiling the story for someone may be tempting, but just think of how much it would tick you off to have it spoiled for you. And if it doesn't matter to you, why would you be discussing it or talking about it in the first place?

Oct 2, 2009
I myself have avoided any internet content related to ME2 like the plague. I'm going through the game now, so I'll be able to breathe more easily afterwards...

Scrythe

Premium Gasoline
Jun 23, 2009
I have a friend who's little sister has made a career out of spoiling movies. I wish, I were exaggerating, but every conversation about a new movies literally goes like this:

Her: Hey, have you seen [movie] yet?
Me: Not yet, but I really want to see it this weekend.
Her: Oh, it's really good! There's this part at the end where they find out that Soylent Green is people!
Me: What the fuck?!

Hell, she's even spoiled movies as I'm watching them! "Oh, is that Gladiator? It's sad when he dies at the end." (I'm trying to pick movies here that I'm sure either everyone has seen or doesn't care about, but you get the idea)

I guess my point here is that it's perfectly reasonable and not juvenile to get severely pissed off when someone spoils a movie or game for you, especially if you're looking forward to it.

If I were to find two unlikely people who have never seen Saw or The Sixth Sense, make them watch the movies, but tell one of them all the twist endings, who would appreciate the story more? Having the end spoiled just ruins the experience.

Apologies to anyone who, for whatever reason, never saw Soylent Green or Gladiator.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
factualsquirrel said:
brodie21 said:
i have managed to avoid informing myself about ME2, i hope i will be able to keep this up until i can buy the game
Well, the biggest bit in the game is when you get attacked by a giant squid.

Make sure no one tells you about that.
Well since the squid got dissed from the Watchmen, it decided to exact its revenge on Shepherd. Bad Squid!

InsanityRequiem

Nov 9, 2009
I kinda have mixed feelings about spoilers.

Pre-game release spoilers are something I tend to ignore. I basically watch to enjoy the graphics and cinematics. If they contain things like content, such as weapon usage and how things work, I'll watch them as well. Hey, guns are awesome!

Now, if it's story content, I have a time-limit on when they should be told. Game just got released? Nothing should be talked about for at least 3 weeks. 2 months the longest. After that, it's no-holds brawl in spoiler dumping. And if the game has been out for a year or two? Then you have no right to complain about spoilers.

wench

Braids of Fury!
May 1, 2008
My big spoiler moment was with this past season of Torchwood. I'd avoided all the news about it, had pointedly avoided any sort of Doctor Who/Torchwood/Scifi website. Some of those shows are brutal, and I don't want to know beforehand. Unfortunately, one day I decided to read an article about the audience ratings. I wanted to know it did well and thought there would be no problem. Sadly it led into day three's numbers with "And on Wednesday, xxx people watched as..." And that one piece of information meant that I didn't watch it for months - because that was something that I didn't want to see. (Damn you, RTD! Stop killing off the characters I like!)

Most things, not a problem for me - it seems to be just some very specific times that I need to have no spoilers.

Jama7301

Oct 10, 2009
Personally, I dislike spoilers, especially for something I'm already in the middle of. If I find something out, I'll immediatly switch games to find a new story.

I value a story higher than gameplay. I remember playing some games with some weird issues when I was younger, but I finished because I wanted to see what happened next. Take the story away, and I have no reason to keep the system on, haha.

commasplice

Dec 24, 2009
Ironlenny said:
No amount of knowledge, no amount of spoilers, can substitute for the actual experience.
That's kinda not really what it's about. I mean, yeah, having someone explain it to you beforehand is not the same as actually watching it, but knowing everything that's going to happen ruins the suspense created by people's natural fear of the unknown. A friend of mine once step-by-step explained the plot of Donnie Darko to me before I actually saw it. Yes, I still enjoyed the movie, but not as much as I would have because I didn't have that, "A-ha, that's deep," moment.

I don't usually mind game spoilers too much because so many games tend to throw writing out of the window and focus on trying to fit as many explosions in the game as possible, but I usually like to watch movies or TV shows on a blank slate. Even (plausible) fake spoilers are enough to annoy me because they still alter my perception of the story. If I'm explicitly told that something doesn't happen in the story, that means I'll exclude that possibility from my predictions of how things will turn out.

Oh and my friend that I mentioned earlier is that guy. You know, the one who searches up everything about the plot of a show or video game instead of ever actually watching or playing it and then insists on talking to you about it. He always seems to assume that, just because I like a show or game, I must already know everything. I've actually had multiple conversations with him that went as follows:

Him: "So why didn't you tell me [Character A] [dies/becomes ruler of the universe/marries his sister]?"
Me: "Because I didn't get to that part yet..."

Playbahnosh

Dec 12, 2007
It's funny you brought up ME2, because this is the least spoilable game. Since the flow of the story depends mostly on the player's choices and the choices made in ME1, there is not much you can spoil about the game. Sure, you can run around telling people that the end boss is a giant h%"3♂├.$[data corrupted]$á) and no matter what you do^ś?÷*%-&#' dies at the end, but other than that, it depends on how you play the game and what path you choose. It's not a rail-shooter, it's a cRPG.

You may overhear people talking about ME2, but the thing is, there are so many choices and paths to take in the game, that their playthrough might not even come close to yours.

But, on a related note, here is the biggest spoiler you REALLY WANNA KNOW ABOUT if you wanna finish the game:

Once a teammate becomes loyal to you, you get to change the color of their armor! YEAH, how awesome is that!! ^_^

Kollega

Jun 5, 2009

And then it turns out they're both Tyler Durden.

But yeah - spoilers are not the greatest thing there are, i agree.