Spoilers - a statute of limitations?

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
This morning, on the drive in, my carpool mates and I were discussing spoilers, spurred by a mainstream movie, released in 1933 [http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2005/12/05] fits within the realm of "OK to talk about openly."

But then, if you've ever had something spoiled for you, something that you actually cared about or paid good money for, you know how frustrating it can be. I've had a suspense movie ruined for me by the person behind the snack counter after I'd bought my movie tickets. I was, needless to say, a bit peeved. Clearly, a movie still in the theaters should have some sort of protection, but conversations within our own office here have proven that to be untrue.

So, where is the line? Is it a time limitation? Is it a certain amount of box office take, suggesting a critical mass has seen the film? What about games, which are, to date, a less mainstream media? Should games have a longer statute of limitations, so that we don't spoil all the best parts of the Great Games of the past for newcomers? Should niche media self-regulate spoilers to encourage growth? Can we get past our desire to seem the All-knowing, All-seeing, been-there-done-that veterans of the Gaming World?

Joe

Jul 7, 2006
There is but one rule regarding spoilers:

Spoil anything, so long as you don't tell anyone who Kaiser Soze is. Take that man's identity to your grave, for the good of mankind.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Brinstar
http://acidforblood.blogspot.com/
I find that knowing which character died in FFVII, and that so many gamers cried at that moment, made me less keen on playing the game myself, to see whether it would have the same effect on me. Also spoiled for me was the relationship between the main character and the main baddie. Everything had been spoiled, so I saw no point in subjecting myself to 40+ hours of gaming just to "see for myself". I did try to play FFVII, and I got about 2 hours into the game before I got even more bored and frustrated and just decided to quit.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: TheKeck

I think even mentioning that Kaiser Soze is someone who's true identity is important is overstepping your bounds.

I, however, am immune because I was told who Kaiser Soze is years in advance and have no qualms about spoiling it for others. ;-)

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: gj

turns out aeris was the name of his childhood sled :(

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
Original Comment by: Weefz
http://www.theaveragegamer.com
Hmm... I don't think there would be a set statute of limitations - depends on how big is in the popular consciousness, yes.

Like the original King Kong - Tycho is what, 30-odd? The film is 70 years old. He can't demand spoiler protection for the original since he's been around long enough to see it if he really cared. You shouldn't spoil it for a 12 year old who's just getting into old movies though - they haven't had enough of a chance to see it for themselves yet. Shouldn't spoil the new Kong film though - it might have been different!

Same for ET - everyone knows it's out there and available. If you're over 25 and haven't seen it yet you just don't care enough about it to demand people walk on eggshells for you.

For Se7en, I think giving away parts of the story would still be spoilery since it's not well-known enough in the "classic movie" sense. Same goes for The Usual Suspects. I think I'd go with a "grandmother" rule-of-thumb. If it's no longer in cinemas and famous enough that your (non-movie-geek) gran would have heard of it, it's safe to talk about casually. Anything else, no matter how old it is you should check first before spoiling.

Original games should never be spoiled without asking unless they're no longer possible to get and play for yourself - there are too many genres to assume that there are some games that everyone has played. Games closely based on films and books should follow the grandmother rule.

Andraste

Nov 21, 2004
gj - Thanks. You totally ruined it for me. Gah. ;)

weefz - I like the grandmother rule. I think you're onto something there, for movies. Like you though, I think games are a bit different. Not enough people to have a critical mass to move it into the Realm of the Grandmother.

Mysticgamer

Apr 14, 2009
I feel the statue of limitations should be about 5 to 6 years. Face it if you don't know what happens in FF1-12 (excluding 11) by then, you probably won't care when 15's hitting the selves either.

QuirkyTambourine

Jul 26, 2009
I think that the game and movie statute on limitations is different from everything else. I'd say 10 years, but only because I've had a few games and movies ruined for me by word of mouth alone, FFVII and The Sixth Sense being top examples.

However, no one should EVER spoil a book

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
General rule for me: If it's older than 5 years. take about it openly. Otherwise, say "spoiler warning" and give them an oppertunity to stop you.