SPOILERS: Bioshock infinite: Rapture and Columbia connection

Ezekiel T Bluff

Sep 27, 2011
I have a theory concerning Rapture in Bioshock infinite: SPOILERS AHEAD!

I think it is possible that Robert Lutece comes from a universe where Rapture exists, and that world should be the oppostite of the Columbia universe - so Robert is a man instead of a woman, the city in the sky is the city in the sea. This is NOT Booker's universe. Booker's version in this universe is female and possibly Russian (opposite of American), and Anna is her son named Andrei (Andrew Ryan).

So there is my theory to why is Booker able to control the Battysphere.

an annoyed writer

Exalted Lady of The Meep :3
Jun 21, 2012
That is an interesting theory. The timeframes seem correct, too. However, that does not explain any of the Luteces being absent from Booker's universe if he does in fact come from a different universe from those two.

Ezekiel T Bluff

Sep 27, 2011
Maybe a Robert Lutece is there, just not the one who kidnapped Anna. By there I mean in Booker's universe.
Come to think of it: Booker's universe should contain a Rosalind, not Robert

Ezekiel T Bluff

Sep 27, 2011
And speaking of opposites:
The original Bioshock started with a female splicer saying: "Is it someone new?"
Bioshock Infinite starts with a male priest saying the same line

kingpocky

Jan 21, 2009
I thought it was implied or stated somewhere that Robert was from the same universe as DeWitt. Rosalind (from the universe with Comstock and Columbia) contacted him through switching the spin of an atom in morse code, and eventually told him where to find Booker and Anna so he could bring the girl to Columbia through a portal she would create.

Of course, I can't remember the details, so it could be entirely inaccurate.

Jimmy T. Malice

Dec 28, 2010
Robert and Rosalind's difference is only a matter of changing a single chromosome. It doesn't mean the entire universe is reversed.

And we can't conclusively say whether Robert's universe is the one with Rapture, since it wasn't even built until decades after the events of the game.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
The original Bioshock started with a female splicer saying: "Is it someone new?"
I didn't notice that! Amazing, considering I played through Bioshock 1 like 6 times..

That's a really cool theory, too, I can't really think of anything to refute it at the minute. Kudos!

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Rapture is the Columbia of its universe, Columbia is the Rapture of its universe.

They aren't opposites, they're parallels.

In regards to its appearance in Infinite, it was more to connect the two games through the game's multiverse, constants-and-variables mindset ("There's always a lighthouse. There's always a man. There's always a city.").

What's the importance of Booker controlling a bathysphere, exactly? The thing's basically on-rails. Unless I'm missing some kind of lore, I don't, uh... I don't see why he wouldn't be able to flip a switch and make it move.

Ezekiel T Bluff

Sep 27, 2011
Rapture was probably inserted into infinite as a homage, with very little thought. It's just that the battyspheres were on lockdown and olnly someone geneticaly connected to Ryan could control it, so the logical conclusion is that Ryan is related to Booker.

And please no "Elisabeth is now omnipotent, and a puny little battyshere can't stop her because she is god". That's just uncreative thinking.

Ezekiel T Bluff

Sep 27, 2011
Headsprouter said:
Ezekiel T Bluff said:
I didn't notice that! Amazing, considering I played through Bioshock 1 like 6 times..

That's a really cool theory, too, I can't really think of anything to refute it at the minute. Kudos!
Thanks

00slash00

Dec 29, 2009
The_Echo said:
Rapture is the Columbia of its universe, Columbia is the Rapture of its universe.

They aren't opposites, they're parallels.

In regards to its appearance in Infinite, it was more to connect the two games through the game's multiverse, constants-and-variables mindset ("There's always a lighthouse. There's always a man. There's always a city.").

What's the importance of Booker controlling a bathysphere, exactly? The thing's basically on-rails. Unless I'm missing some kind of lore, I don't, uh... I don't see why he wouldn't be able to flip a switch and make it move.
only andrew ryan or someone with his dna is able to use the bathysphere

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
It would actually make the timelines make sense at least if Andrew Ryan was just Anna in a different reality. It would also make sure that Booker was able to use the biosphere. Another option is always that they are just in another universe with an alternate timeline where booker is jack or andrew ryan himself. I mean with the infinite amount of universes anything is possible, any theories we come up are just that, theories. Then again I suppose thats the fun of it.

DrunkOnEstus

In the name of Harman...
May 11, 2012
All I know is that seeing Rapture in a custom UE3 made me want to play Bioshock 1 outside of the confines of its Unreal 2.x cell. It looked gorgeous, and I kept trying to explore it further past the Gatherers Garden. Probably a mistake on their part to remind me of something more fun right as the new game was ending.

On topic, sure I suppose that's possible. The way Infinite's story is setup, damn near anything and everything is possible, anytime. I mean, I hate being that guy but the whole multiverse setup must have been like a God mode writer's cheat for Levine.

Colt47

Oct 31, 2012
DrunkOnEstus said:
All I know is that seeing Rapture in a custom UE3 made me want to play Bioshock 1 outside of the confines of its Unreal 2.x cell. It looked gorgeous, and I kept trying to explore it further past the Gatherers Garden. Probably a mistake on their part to remind me of something more fun right as the new game was ending.

On topic, sure I suppose that's possible. The way Infinite's story is setup, damn near anything and everything is possible, anytime. I mean, I hate being that guy but the whole multiverse setup must have been like a God mode writer's cheat for Levine.
Yeah, it seems like the games just kept shrinking in scope after System Shock 2. Bioshock had a lot of elements from System Shock 2, but didn't have as much exploration. Bioshock Infinite is like the first Bioshock on rails.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
It seemed pretty obvious to me that Rapture is Columbia. Infinite instances of "a man and a city" with increasing differences as more tertiary elements are changed, as those fundamentals remain the same.