Spoilers: The Wheel of Time is over now... A Memory of Light

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
World of Tanks aside... this is about books...

Spoiler warning, but NOTHING IS SPOILED IN THIS OP... If you are a fan of the books, finish the damn series already. I have a need to talk about it to someone already. I find this website to host decent people (for some part) in this regard, and I am feeling this series hasn't been addressed here yet.

Not by me per say, but they will be here in theory...

To all the fans of the late, great, Robert Jordan:

WTF else could you ask for? That's what I keep telling myself.

It was a 'good enough' ending as far as I was concerned. Sure, my favorite characters were laid to waste and cast to the side, but could the end have been better by any other author taking the reigns from a God? Probably not.

I finished the book less than 30 hours after it hit the shelves in my home town... and have yet (weeks later) to hear the masses calling for blood or triumph. I wonder what the fans on the Escapist think... considering the snarky way you all deal with video game endings and all...

Any WoT fans out there?

I don't want to spoil anything in the OP, but would love to later, so please... post here and we can talk about stuffs!!!

Lugbzurg

Mar 4, 2012
Question: "Wot is WoT"? Using initials isn't a good idea in many cases.

After all, "FPS" can stand for "Frames per second" or "FIRST-PERSON SHOOTAH!" "RPG" can stand for "Role-playing game" or "ROCKET-PROPPAL'D GRENAHD!!" And "MLP" can stand for "Major league player" or "MAH LITTA P'WNEIEH!!!"

Aug 1, 2010
Lugbzurg said:

After all, "FPS" can stand for "Frames per second" or "FIRST-PERSON SHOOTAH!" "RPG" can stand for "Role-playing game" or "ROCKET-PROPPAL'D GRENAHD!!" And "MLP" can stand for "Major league player" or "MAH LITTA P'WNEIEH!!!"
Yeah, I thought this was a thread about World of Tanks somehow being over...

Which would be sad, but OP is talking about something else entirely.

JadeWah

Nov 4, 2008
WoT, Wheel of Time, had it's last book of it's serie, released the 8th of january.

As the OP I finished it rather quick but I think I need to re-read it again, or rather re-read the serie as a whole to have a firm opinion. It's what, 13 rather thick books, so it might take some time.

bartholen_v1legacy

A dyslexic man walks into a bra.
Jan 24, 2009
NotSoNimble said:
Spoiler warning, but NOTHING IS SPOILED IN THIS OP... If you are a fan of the books, finish the damn series already. I have a need to talk about it to someone already. I find this website to host decent people (for some part) in this regard, and I am feeling this series hasn't been addressed here yet.

Not by me per say, but they will be here in theory...

To all the fans of the late, great, Robert Jordan:

WTF else could you ask for? That's what I keep telling myself.

It was a 'good enough' ending as far as I was concerned. Sure, my favorite characters were laid to waste and cast to the side, but could the end have been better by any other author taking the reigns from a God? Probably not.

I finished the book less than 30 hours after it hit the shelves in my home town... and have yet (weeks later) to hear the masses calling for blood or triumph. I wonder what the fans on the Escapist think... considering the snarky way you all deal with video game endings and all...

Any WoT fans out there?

I don't want to spoil anything in the OP, but would love to later, so please... post here and we can talk about stuffs!!!
You might wanna clarify that you're talking about Wheel of Time, not World of Tanks.

OT: The reason you're not hearing the "masses calling for blood or triumph" might be that Wheel of Time isn't such a huge thing, at least right now. I haven't read a single one, and it seems pretty hard to even find a copy of the first part. And since it's a, what, 15-part series it's not exactly the easiest fantasy series to get into.

Veylon

Aug 15, 2008
NotSoNimble said:
I wonder what the fans on the Escapist think... considering the snarky way you all deal with video game endings and all...
You know what game came out roughly the same time as the first and last books? X-COM. It's been a long series.

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
Lugbzurg said:

Being as I always think of SC as Soul Calibur ... I should have known better, whoops!

NotSoNimble

Aug 10, 2010
JadeWah said:
Yeah I believe it's been 23 years ^^

Damn. A lot of people here weren't even born yet! I didn't start the series till around 97, and it feels odd that I am not waiting for another book anymore. Seems I spent most of my life with waiting for another trip to Robert Jordans world in the back of my mind.

(World of Tanks is an infant in comparison)

;)

Malisteen

Mar 1, 2010
I lost track of the WoT series a long time ago. Around the, what, fifth? sixth book? Path of Daggers? I don't know. The one that was 500 or so pages of successive chapters of different people recapping where they were in their plots, then instead of advancing anything they all ended their chapters with "woah, I sense something big happening way over there, OMG I wonder what's going on". Nothing actually happened, nothing was advanced, and it didn't even build any suspense or anything because the big thing what happened over there happened at the end of the prior book, so as the reader I already knew what happened and was like, "get on with it".

Don't know if it ever picked up after that.

rodneyy

humm odd
Sep 10, 2008
they killed bella *sniff* she could have just as easily escaped and then been the horse at the end would have been the whole beggining and end thingy all in one.
also i would be very scared of perrin now, all he needs is to get his hands on some fancloth and become an uber assassin.
ive spent quite a bit of time thinking what would happen afterwards. i could see gaul becoming clan chief and moving them all to the mountains of mist above the two rivers.
would be interesting to see how things would go with the people beyond the waste (forgotten their name) will they be able to hold together with their prophecys all shot to hell. it was never very clear how much of their channeler strenth they commited but with most of them gone that could lead to a big power vacume. maybe even the ability to invade them.
also the question are perrin and mat still Ta'veren or not. at the end perrin said he no longer felt the pull from rand but does that mean he is no longer Ta'veren or does it simply mean that the task he was supposed to do together is finished? the things they needed to do together drew them all in but now that is over it does not mean the pattern wont use them to keep itself in check and rebuild afterwards.

Genocidicles

Sep 13, 2012
I read the first one and gave up. I found the majority of the characters to be unlikeable whiners.

The only two characters I did like were Thom (cool old guy!) and Egwene because she was the only one who upon being told she had awesome powers doesn't immediately go "MY LIFE SUCKS!"

Oinodaemon

Apr 9, 2009
WTF happened to Padan Fain's story arch? We see him in a Memory of Light for all of three pages, and then, poof! gone! I must say, I really expected more from that character. Also, Gawyn. I was under the impression that he was a better swordsman than Galad ,(I didn't think that until Sanderson took over )and he got his ass kicked even with magic ninja rings.

But really? Brilliant ending to a brilliant series. Also, I think it's important to remember that these last three books were supposed to be just one huge book. All three together form the end, not just a memory of light.

ReservoirAngel

Nov 6, 2010
I have nothing to say about the Wheel of Time books, as I never read them. Might in the future though. I just came here to ask:

Is that title meant to be a Phantom of the Opera reference? Because that's what it immediately remind me of, and you could almost sing it to the same tune... I'm probably thinking too much on this.

RedDeadFred

Illusions, Michael!
May 13, 2009
I didn't realize this series would actually end. I read the first five books before giving up out of boredom. None of the characters really interested me all that much.

Sethzard

Megalomaniac
Dec 22, 2007
Country
United Kingdom
I really enjoyed the series as a whole, although a couple of the books were lacking. The ending was definitely enjoyable though the "twist" was quite predictable.
It's a shame that the series won't continue any more particularly as it has been left open for more books.

Mr.Squishy

Apr 14, 2009
RedDeadFred said:
I didn't realize this series would actually end. I read the first five books before giving up out of boredom. None of the characters really interested me all that much.
You're a stronger man than I. I got to the beginning of the second book, then dropped it like a hot potato and never looked back.

Muunokhoi

May 18, 2012
Unlike many posters above I read and re-read all 13 books and I have to say that it was one of the greatest novel series I have ever had the privilige of owning and with Robert Jordens passing the world has lost an amazing author. I give my thanks to Brandon Sanderson for not only picking up the story but also staying so true to Jordons writing style when completing the series. Come NotSoNimble let us mourn the passing of The Wheel of Time.