Sponsored PokeStops Will Be Coming to Pokemon Go

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Sponsored PokeStops Will Be Coming to Pokemon Go

//cdn.themis-media.com/media/global/images/library/deriv/1302/1302274.png

Niantic will announce sponsored Pokemon Go locations "in the future."

While Pokemon Go is technically a free-to-play game, the included microtransactions have proven to be quite lucrative for the game, with reports indicating [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167911-Pokemon-GO-Raises-Nintendo-Shares-25] that Nintendo shares surged 25% since the game's launch, adding around $7.5 billion to the company's market value. One equity analyst said that the estimated turnover for the game on day one was around 400 million to 500 million yen ($3.9 million to $4.9 million). However, Niantic is now exploring new ways that the game can bring in money, hopefully sparing everyone unwanted ads - and the first is, unsurprisingly, sponsored PokeStops.

Speaking with The New York Times [http://www.nytimes.com/2016/07/12/technology/pokemon-go-brings-augmented-reality-to-a-mass-audience.html?_r=3], Niantic CEO John Hanke said that the developer will announce sponsored locations for the game in the future.

This is unsurprising, considering a number of different establishments are already using the game to draw in customers. For example, Brewer's Pizza in Orange Park, Florida is a PokeStop, and a Facbook post was made the Muncie Animal Shelter [https://www.facebook.com/BrewersPizza/posts/1228110463880132] in Muncie, IN, which is encouraging players to stop in the shelter and take one of its "Pokemon dogs" for a walk while Pokemon-ing.

[tweet t=https://twitter.com/MuncieShelter/status/752905665623035904]

In other Pokemon Go news [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/167902-Pokemon-GO-to-Get-Trading-in-a-Future-Update], Niantic recently confirmed that trading will be making its way to the game in the coming months, since it is "kind of a core element" of Pokemon.

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
They don't need to consider it. They have the API already in place to do it, as their previous game already does this.

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
I hope that if anyone sponsors a political rally, the only pokemon that show up would be Grimers.

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
All that data from their demanded permissions they're collecting is no doubt a lucrative asset for marketing partnerships. I honestly wouldn't mind trying the app if it wasn't for that specific issue.

Gorrath

Feb 22, 2013
I very much like this idea. Build traffic for a business, gets more pokestops for players and the shops may offer promotions/incentives for players. Win/win/win for N, the user and the business.

PunkRex

Feb 19, 2010
We all knew this was gonna happen; I just hope Nintendo chuck charities, such as that animal shelter, a bone (HA, PUN!) and give them Pok'e'Stops for free.

Phoenix1213

Sep 2, 2009
Xsjadoblayde said:
All that data from their demanded permissions they're collecting is no doubt a lucrative asset for marketing partnerships. I honestly wouldn't mind trying the app if it wasn't for that specific issue.
According to the patch notes the issue was fixed in yesterday's patch... And there's always the option of registering through a Pokemon club account instead. It's a bit hard to register right now though.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Pokestops and constant lures may pull in people, but do they actually buy stuff?

Although if I were the owner of an ice cream shop in Florida right now, I'd be all over this.
It's 91 outside right now with 61% humidity.

Tanis

The Last Albino
Aug 30, 2010
>Animal Shelter uses Cubone on it's ad.
>Cubone wears the skull of its dead mother as a helmet.
>Cubone will often weep at night in mourning of its mother.
>Cubone seems to recognize its mother in the moon, and so it howls with a particular sadness.
>Fuckin' aye!

O maestre

Nov 19, 2008
If Niantec play their cards right this will be a gold mine for them, this has already become a cultural phenomenon in 1 week!

wulfy42

Jan 29, 2009
If anything all the publicity is making it spread even faster, to rediculous levels.

I know someone who just upgraded to a iphone (from a cell phone that didn't have internet access) just because of this game.

I have 7 teacher friends, all women over 40, who are all over this game right now, along with my best friends daughter in law, and a bunch of people from our areobics class.

Seriously even if people have not tried it yet, they have heard about it...and know people who are playing it. I don't even think it's possible to NOT know at least a few people playing this game unless your a hermit with no friends living in a cave, with no internet....and even then you might get some random people stopping by trying to catch pokemon!!

I live on the water in Olympia and at first I thought it was awesome how many people where walking along trying to catch them, but at this point it's a bit dangerous. It's not a huge road/sidewalk and too many people are walking along the water staring at their phones. Someone is going to get hurt. Down town there are literally 2-3 people every block playing this game, and when I went out the other night after midnight people where STILL playing the game, and groups of them where congregating at a few intersections. This is in Washington, so I'm not sure if it's like this everywhere (Pot is legal here..that may have something to do with it), but it's really getting kinda insane.