Sport games..

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Generally no, but I do make exceptions for more 'fun first, realism later'-games like NBA Jam or the Mario sports games. Though I used to play a lot of FIFA 99 with a friend, though we pretty much turned off the referee in options so any match came down to tackling each others players into a pulp. Nothing like a good elbow to a keepers face to lighten the mood.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
I buy a copy of Fifa every couple of years, thats about the right amount of time to wait for it to of changed enough from my old copy for it to seem fresh again. I like to create awesome Aston Villa teams.

I used to like the WWE games, but they have not been good in years so I don't bother anymore. WWE Allstars was enjoyable, but it was a bit shallow.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
I used to hate them and thought 'oh how can a game that comes out every year be any good', incidently I wasn't a big fan of sports in general.

Then I got into football, strangely from playing fifa at my friends house and I inevitably have brought the past 3 fifa titles, each one while similar has enough changes for it to be great and a big improvement on the last.

In fact, I got fifa 13 today and I find it great to play, especially with friends. spending today with my friend playing against him on fifa 13 has been some of the most fun I've had on a game in a long time and downright hilarious.

I honestly advise anyone who like me dismissed sport games a long time ago to revisit it with a friend at some point (if you get yourself interested in the sport), I reckon their is a good chance you'll enjoy it.

Lionsfan

I miss my old avatar
Jan 29, 2010
Yeah, I'll buy them. I prefer NHL the most, as I think it's the most realistic of all the games. Never tried FIFA though

w9496

Jun 28, 2011
I like Madden and games oriented around football, but I could never buy one. The newer Madden games are too random for my tastes, alog with the game almost playing automatically.

Ljs1121

Mar 17, 2011
I'll play the occasional game of Madden with friends. I also own 5 WWE games from back when I was hyper-obsessed with wrestling.

I think they're all pretty fun.

ChildofGallifrey

May 26, 2008
I play American football games often, but I never buy them new. I prefer college football, so the players don't mean much to me (I always put my friends and I on the teams anyway). I'll get a different every so often, but one that's about 2 years removed, so it costs around $10. As for pro football games, I got Madden '11 when it came out, simply because I'm a New Orleans Saints fan, and that's the only time in history a Saints player has been good enough to make the cover.

MrMixelPixel

Jul 7, 2010
Fuck yeah I do!

Mario Baseball, Mario Super Strikers, Mario Hoops, etc. They are all a blast to play! Especially super strikers.

Did you mean like Mad-den?

Oh. No, I'm not a fan. Not at all.

[small] make a Mario hockey game and american football game... so I can learn about those sports too [/small]

piinyouri

Mar 18, 2012
If Tony Hawk counts, I had a long period were I played nothing but sports games.
Played the ever loving SHIT out of RAW 2.

Also had a stint where I got sucked into Tiger Woods Golf.
Somehow.

Heaven's Guardian

Oct 22, 2011
Yes, definitely. I'm a big sports fan, so I'll probably buy 3-4 sports games every year. I know people say that they all happen to just be updates, but that makes perfect sense. You don't want to make massive changes to the gameplay of a sports title that is supposed to be as realistic as possible every year, because the goal is fine-tuning. That said, anyone familiar with sports knows that a lot of the differences obvious to skilled players have really huge impacts (look at the route-running for both of the EA football games for 13, and tell me that it doesn't make a huge difference on what you can do successfully).

It also probably helps that sports games were about all I was allowed to play until I was 12/13, so while I can't function in any first-person games requiring quick camera panning, my quarterbacking skills are well-developed.

Aris Khandr

Oct 6, 2010
Demon ID said:
Then I got into football, strangely from playing fifa at my friends house and I inevitably have brought the past 3 fifa titles, each one while similar has enough changes for it to be great and a big improvement on the last.

In fact, I got fifa 13 today and I find it great to play, especially with friends. spending today with my friend playing against him on fifa 13 has been some of the most fun I've had on a game in a long time and downright hilarious.
I just haven't paid any attention to the advertising for FIFA 13. So could you highlight the changes from FIFA 12 for me?

Sonic Doctor

Time Lord / Whack-A-Newbie!
Jan 9, 2010
Back in the day, I use to play Tony Hawk games.

Other than that, if racing is sport, then I also play "realistic" racing games occasionally, like the first Dirt and and Forza 3.

Cabisco

May 7, 2009
Aris Khandr said:
Demon ID said:

I just haven't paid any attention to the advertising for FIFA 13. So could you highlight the changes from FIFA 12 for me?
It's strange now that you've made me think about it, there isn't any 'big' change I can point to but rather it's lots of small tweaks that overall give a much more in depth and interesting game. For one thing the amount of animations and possible small variations of what a play will do in situations seems to be vastly superior, instead of 'good first touch' or 'bad first touch' there seems to be a much wider spectrum of what could happen. It's a much harder game to predict now, you can't just expect a player to recieve the ball in the same way everytime and know you'll be able to get into certain space every time. Moreover the attack ai has improved (much better runs, less random colliding) as well giving us the user a slight assist in tackling (more likely to suceed in last ditch tackles it feels like), though saying that keeping a clean sheet is still impossible.

Like I said though, to a casual user it's very similar but it seems much more real than previous editions, less predictable and more dramatic as a result.

Off the pitch again their have been little tweaks just to give you more to do and think about, like you can get an international job (I haven't so far), ask for more money, sell players as part of a deal, players will mid season ask for more wages etc etc.

Like I said, it's lots of little tweaks on a formula that already works. Why bother reinventing the wheel when it already works.

Fijiman

I am THE PANTS!
Legacy
Dec 1, 2011
Unless you count NASCAR or Grifball, fuck no. You'd have to get me both high and drunk off my ass before I would willingly played a spots game.
FootloosePhoenix said:
I don't get why people would want to play football or whatever on a video game when they can do it in real life
I think it has something to do with the games ability to let you control every players actions, therefor being able to make your favorite team win every time or make your least favorite team lose every time. That and you can go though several matches in the game in the same time span that it would take for an actual match to take place in real life.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Sean Hollyman said:
I mean it's pretty much the same every year with only a few minor changes, I don't see the point in buying a new one when you already own the previous game which is pretty much the same..
Agreed. I buy FIFA once every few years but my interest in football is pretty low. My kids play it, and occasionally I play it with (and get utterly humped by) friends.

On the other hand, I am a massive fan on Formula One racing. I buy the new release every year because I do enjoy having the same liveries, driver lineups and circuit roster that I've followed on TV all season. Drivers change team, others come and go. Teams change their liveries and circuits are added to and removed from the calendar every year. Others undergo layout alterations, sometimes minor and sometimes extensive. The point is that as a someone who is passionate about the sport, these things are important to me and having everything as up to date as possible enhances my enjoyment of the game.

I expect that is exactly the reason that football fans buy the latest FIFA every year, why American Football fans buy Madden and NASCAR fans buy er, NASCAR every year. Just like they buy the new strip every season.

If it's a sport you are passionate about, then it does make sense. If you are uninterested or ambivalent about it, then you probably won't appreciate the year by year changes.

srm79

Jan 31, 2010
Anthraxus said:
What they should really do, is release these sports games every 2 or 3 years so they could actually make some significant changes. In the off years they could offer roster updates for a small fee. Coming out with a new game every year for $60 or whatever is just ridiculous and a turn off, likes CoDs annual releases. But ppl keep buying them year after year like addicts, so they could get away with it.
I don't know what degree of changes there are year on year with other franchises, such as FIFA although I do know that FIFA 12 was noticeably different to the last one I played (10?) while still allowing me to pretty much "pick up and play".

I do know that in the 3 years that Codemasters have been releasing F1 games, each one has made significant changes, enough to require a rewrite of the game. That's partly helped by the periodic rule changes: KERS and DRS for '11, and the addition of fuel strategies for '12 as well as a rewrite of the physics engine. If they put enough effort in, it can be worth it to the die hard fans.