Sports and you.

theevilgenius60

Jun 28, 2011
I love sports. I played any sport I could get into(any one that would let me on the team) in high school. I was best at football(the American kind, it still feels wierd needing to clarify that), but also played the other kind of football, basketball, baseball and threw(I guess "putted" is the correct term) the shot. I played offensive guard/tackle in football and that accounts for how beaten up my body is. Also, sports were my link to gaming for the longest time(now I don't own any sport titles), so I may complain about Madden each year just being a roster update, but that led me to where I am now.
As far as favorite teams go: Go Saints! Go Braves! Go Cetlics!(yeah yeah, one of these things is not like the others)

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
I watch football (fan of Dundee United, but I watch a variety of other leagues as well) and hockey (Dundee Stars, no NHL team but my favourite player is Brodeur so I watch New Jersey Devils when I can) as much as possible and play football sometimes. I also try to watch the Superbowl every year with friends but that's for the whole spectacle of it more than the actual game itself as I don't watch American Football besides it.

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
I play tennis and badmition, also defensive lineman in football.

Thats about it though. Yankees ruined baseball for me, riots ruined soccor for me. Tis sad.

aba1

Mar 18, 2010
I teach judo every week. I have been doing judo for roughly 14 years. Yes judo is both a sport and martial art believe it or not

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
I like playing sports. I play rugby, taking a hiatus from actual games until the next year of uni for personal reasons (commitment basically, I just didn't have the time these last two years) but I'll be playing properly from then again. I also row a lot, I can't be on the team because they need even more commitment than the rugby squad and there just isn't the time to physically do both but I join them for training.
I also play a little tennis, football and squash but I'm decidedly mediocre there, it's for my enjoyment and little else.

I watch a little football too and I watch a good deal of rugby, mostly international, I'm not a big fan of club rugby.

So yeah, I'm a sports fan I guess, I like playing it, I'm up for watching a game of most sports.

I think there's this weird assumption that people are sporty or nerdy or whatever but it's silly. Most of the rugby players I've known have enjoyed a game and probably about half play videogames beyond the obvious ones like CoD. I don't know if it's a US thing, the categorising of people as exclusively one thing but it's really rare for a gamer to be just a gamer here, most do other stuff too. I can think of one guy who doesn't do sports or go out or play music, 'all' he does is game and even that is being unfair because he reads a hell of a lot...

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
I never liked sports. Didn't help that even when I was capable and on teams nobody would let me do anything and deliberately didn't pass to me.

Besides, I hate the attitude around sports. People throwing rage faces over their chosen team not winning. Last time I discussed sports with people the two people in the discussion said who they supported and one of them snidely pointed out how they hadn't met many people who support the other person's team.
My mental response to that was a "Congratulations, you've managed to point out the stupidity of simply supporting the team you grew up next to by pretending it's based on skill and then pointing out that you haven't met many people from Derby."

Stu35

Aug 1, 2011
I play Rugby Union, Rugby League, and Ice Hockey. I've also Played Cricket and Boxed a little in the past.

I try to keep pretty busy.

I also watch all of the above, as well as American Football... Can't stand Association Football though, it simply angers me.

Generally speaking, I love sports, and support my teams passionately - but I really get frustrated by people who take it too seriously, and people who refuse to admit that their team can do no wrong... Glory supporters are pretty irritating as well, but then every single team I support (except the Detroit Red Wings) is shit, so I've very little to celebrate.

Speaking of teams... Go: Red Wings, Castleford Tigers, Leeds Carnegie, Sheffield Steelers, Yorkshire CCC and the SF 49ers!

roushutsu

Mar 14, 2012
I used to play softball when I was a kid, got bored of it after a while. I then did Tae Kwon Do for a few years later on. Got half-way through the ranks and got bored. I even did a year of fencing in college. College work started to pile up so I couldn't find the time to continue. I tended to spend much more time in artsy activities like band, drama club, and anime club.

As for sports I like to watch, personally I'm a hockey gal, and I far prefer going to the actual games than watching them on TV.

MellowFellow

Feb 14, 2010
I love sports, I watch mostly (american) football, baseball, and basketball. I have started watching soccer a bit more. My favorite teams are the Seattle Mariners, Portland Trailblazers and any Oregon State University sports team (hence my avatar). As my interest in soccer has been increasing I have been watching Portland Timbers games more and more, they are an MLS team, I don't watch enough of the Barclays Premier League to have a favorite team.

I played baseball from when I was about 6 until the end of high school. I'm left handed so I played a lot of first base and pitched a lot. Playing baseball in high school was one of the most fun times of my life. Since I have been at OSU, I have learned of Team Handball, I think it is just called handball in Europe and other countries, and it is really fun to play. I'm taking the PE class for it for the third time this upcoming term.

As for fantasy sports I play Fantasy Football just about every year now. I don't have a favorite NFL team so I usually just root for my players.

DeltaEdge

May 21, 2010
I never really liked sports much, if at all. I suppose I don't mind playing them if it is required of me, but you couldn't pay me to sit there and watch other people toss and kick a ball around for hours on end, let alone pay to watch it. The only sport I would even consider watching is tennis. I don't know why, I just find it entertaining sometimes both to watch and to play. Don't get me wrong, I'm fine with people who like sports, but I personally think that paying large sums of money and building gigantic stadiums for people to play with balls for hours on end is a bit.. um... squanderous (not a word). My dad always tried to get me into sports, but I was too busy drawing and doing other irrelevant stuff.

ace_of_something

Sep 19, 2008
I forgot that from the time I was about 8-18, and than sporadically in my 20's I studied Hung Ga/Hung Kuen. Why that particular one? Well my parents made all me and my brothers take it because my dad knew the guy who ran the dojo. Plus there were only two Dojos in the entire county. Pretty sure the guy who ran it might have been one of less than 10 people of east asian decent in the county too. The other dojo was... well have you ever seen Rex Kwon Do in napoleon dynamite? It was like that.

(we're talking about a 6,000 sq mile area btw)

TheTim

Jan 23, 2010
Chiefs! yess I'm from KC so they are my team!

On another note, I played baseball for Ten years until i was a freshman in high school, I played football(american) for 6 until the same year. and I also raced dirtbikes competitively for 5 years until the same year.

That year i suffered an Unhappy Triad injury that immediately ended my sports career. One of the hardest things ever is seeing my friends that i played with go on to get Division 1 scholarships in football and baseball and knowing i could be there too.

arnoldthebird

Sep 30, 2011
I play basketball 4 times a week.

As for my sporting teams...
Go Eagles!
Go Magic!
Go Storm!
Go Swans!
Go Liverpool!

I love sport's....going to say it

DoomyMcDoom

Jul 4, 2008
I played soccer(football), Rugby, Field Hockey, and Baseball in school, Rugby I only got to be in like 3 of the games my team played because almost none of the other school teams had anyone in my size/weight category, I was solid, 12 years old, 180lbs, could push a car uphill, and I had the endurance of a horse, from playing soccer, needless to say I was REALLY good when I got to play, soccer, well let's just say I was our sole defenseman most of the time, and field hockey as well... Something about my ferocity tended to startle other players just enough to give me that opening to remove the ball from their posession and pass it forward, hell on several occasions our goalie and right side defense went offensive because nothing was getting past me, I remember one game in particular, we won 8-2, only reason they got any goals at all, was because of really high kicks, and we had nobody in goal.

Fun times, kinda dropped outa school though due to other things going horribly wrong in my life, kinda hit a breaking point, probably why I loved sports, I could release my stress and get physical to an extent without it being me getting into fights all the time.

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
I've never played organized and never had the interest to watch any. I do like to play some on occasions, but I'm not really good.

Zack Alklazaris

Oct 6, 2011
ace_of_something said:
So... what sports do you like to watch or were involved in? Do you do fantasy leagues?
I'm going to piss you off and say I don't like sports... period. Now, I will watch the super bowl. Mostly for the commercials and to watch how bad the half time show is. That is the music half time show, not the cute doggies and kitties half time show. (which I love) But only if the Packers are playing because I feel some sort of need to support them (they are my home team) which I can blame on my father.

Not to say I am not good at sports. I'm a fast runner and am very good at soccer. I just don't enjoy playing them. And if I don't enjoying playing them I most certainly will not enjoy watching them.

As for fantasy leagues I can't name off enough players in all sports combined to even make one.

Sorry to disappoint :(

Captcha: "Face the Music"

BringBackBuck

Apr 1, 2009
I love sport. Used to run track when I was young and quick, played cricket, rock climbing, snow boarding, even tried American Football briefly, but as a New Zealander my real passion is rugby. Played rugby union for about 15 years. 15 years have left me kind of broken, but would do it all again in a heartbeat.

Hikaru CF

May 28, 2009
I'm a huge football (soccer) fan and I support Arsenal, who are just god damn awesome.

I played more sport when I was younger at school, playing football, rugby and athletics but I don't play as much these days except for a local 6-a-side football team league.

I also used to be quite a fast runner but since I broke my leg a couple years ago as a result of my knee being hugely dislocated, I'm not as fast anymore :(