Sports fans and how they are perceived in media and reality.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Dad: Is that volcano still going?
Me: Yeah, but it's a bit calm now. It's been way over 20 years.
Dad: Wow, sounds like a woman. Make a big bang, and still holds on to the anger for years and decades.

I laughed. I seriously laughed out loud and yes he was just making a joke. Relax.

So I was having one of my many conversations with the old man and we were talking about different kind of sports fans. He is a cricket man. Born and grew up in the Caribbean and that is a sport everyone can enjoy and on some days school would close if an international match was on and school trips were organised. Does Cricket have one or fans that go overboard? Maybe, I just don't hear much about them. Maybe in Indian seeing as that has the largest fan base for the sport and there will always be a few rotten bunch.

This topic was started because we saw the news about England football fans being involved in clashes with other fans and police in Marseille and a few dumb fans chanting idiotic things.

Football (soccer) fans in the UK have had a long long history of a few idiots bringing the sport down and making every other fan look awful. I like in East London, the nearest football club to me is West Ham United and if you aren't from the UK or Europe, you may not have heard about their fans reputation. For those in Glasgow a river separates the blue and green Old Firm. Hooliganism is down but there is still a few cunts about.

Rugby? They get pissed but they seem like the calm drunks, not the angry football drunks.

Ice Hockey in Canada. Canadians are nice but when it comes to that sport, they are animals!!

Okay okay okay some bits are jokes but what do you think?

Which sports has the... most pleasant(?)... fans. Which has the worse?

Can those arsehole drunk small group of England fans just not go somewhere and causing trouble you fucking ARSE!!!

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Parasondox said:
Dad: Is that volcano still going?
Me: Yeah, but it's a bit calm now. It's been way over 20 years.
Dad: Wow, sounds like a woman. Make a big bang, and still holds on to the anger for years and decades.

I laughed. I seriously laughed out loud and yes he was just making a joke. Relax.

So I was having one of my many conversations with the old man and we were talking about different kind of sports fans. He is a cricket man. Born and grew up in the Caribbean and that is a sport everyone can enjoy and on some days school would close if an international match was on and school trips were organised. Does Cricket have one or fans that go overboard? Maybe, I just don't hear much about them. Maybe in Indian seeing as that has the largest fan base for the sport and there will always be a few rotten bunch.

This topic was started because we saw the news about England football fans being involved in clashes with other fans and police in Marseille and a few dumb fans chanting idiotic things.

Football (soccer) fans in the UK have had a long long history of a few idiots bringing the sport down and making every other fan look awful. I like in East London, the nearest football club to me is West Ham United and if you aren't from the UK or Europe, you may not have heard about their fans reputation. For those in Glasgow a river separates the blue and green Old Firm. Hooliganism is down but there is still a few cunts about.

Rugby? They get pissed but they seem like the calm drunks, not the angry football drunks.

Ice Hockey in Canada. Canadians are nice but when it comes to that sport, they are animals!!

Okay okay okay some bits are jokes but what do you think?

Which sports has the... most pleasant(?)... fans. Which has the worse?

Can those arsehole drunk small group of England fans just not go somewhere and causing trouble you fucking ARSE!!!
English football hooligans are bad but the Russians are worse, youtube videos show them going off in a scary way!

When I think sports fan, I always default to the drunk, obnoxious, overweight, bully type, who has one love and it is their chosen sport.

There are sports that don't attract that kind of fan, cricket, tennis etc you know, the toff sports.

Leg End

Romans 12:18
Oct 24, 2010
Country
United States
omega 616 said:
English football hooligans are bad but the Russians are worse, youtube videos show them going off in a scary way!

When I think sports fan, I always default to the drunk, obnoxious, overweight, bully type, who has one love and it is their chosen sport.

There are sports that don't attract that kind of fan, cricket, tennis etc you know, the toff sports.
Ok, I seriously need to know what videos you've seen because I've seen British hooligans and it can border on the LA Riots. Unless the Russians are burning down Moscow again, I can't see how they're worse.

Jan 19, 2016
The only cricket fans that behave badly with any kind of frequency are in India, and usually only when they play against Pakistan, which is due to the political tensions between the two countries, rather than any cricket specific antagonism between the fans.

Soccer seems to have by far the worst behaved fans of any sport. The only conclusion I can come to is that for whatever reason soccer ends being an outlet for nationalist feelings in many countries.

Parasondox

Jun 15, 2013
Kibeth41 said:
Unfortunately there are some products of inbreeding who go into fits of rage over a kicked ball. It's pretty sad.

Weirdly enough though, it always seems confined to football. Never really hear of violence induced from any other sport.
Hooligans who only follow it becease its the most popular sport? Its simple.

But you must be living under a rock if you think nobody gets into fights over other sports.

Blacklight28

Nov 27, 2013
Soccer is the only major sport where I hear about fans basically starting riots. When I hear things about other sports, like Rugby and American football, its usually bad behavior from the players rather than the fans.

TheMysteriousGX

Elite Member
Legacy
Sep 16, 2014
Country
United States
Occasionally, when things get heated enough, you'll get a hockey riot or basketball riot or the like. Still, they generally aren't so prevalent that leagues have to threaten teams with punishment to try and get the fans to settle the hell down.

Of course, my favorite is the pumpkin festival riot.

Kids with alcohol can turn anything into a riot.

DefunctTheory

Not So Defunct Now
Mar 30, 2010
Football (Soccer) has the worst and most frequent incidents of rioting and assholishness, hands down, uncontested. I think the more interesting question is whether there's something inherit about the sport that lends itself to rioting (Probably not) or if its just because it's the worlds sport, and sheer weight of fans means that, statistically, if it's going to happen, it's probably going to happen after a football/soccer match (Probably so).

Best sport (Least amount of rioting) is probably Water Polo or lacrosse.

Also, thanks for the thread. I'm going to go watch Blue Mountain State, now.

On topic conversation starter: BMS postulates that riots are caused primarily due to an alcohol imbalance - Namely, when the fans are drunk enough to be stupid, but not drunk enough to pass out. Would serving harder liquor at sporting events help?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
A lot of the males in my family are football fans, i seem to be the apple that rolled away in that effect. They can get passionate and like to take the piss out of each other's choice of teams when they can, but are never part of the violent crowds. I think it often is connected with the drinking culture (usually beer being considered good etiquette for match watching) , pub and mob mentality. Noway near as bad as it was before the 90s. Watch Rise of the Footsoldier if you want a hint on how bad it could get. It's pent up aggression with lowered inhibitions submitting to tribal instincts. Football seems to be the lowest social net (lol) for catching lost people unsure of what they want from life, as it seems to be a default interest for young boys until something better catches their imagination.

sageoftruth

Jan 29, 2010
I know this has been said before, but I think they're a bunch of nerds, which is fine. The only time it's not fine is when they somehow get the idea that they're better than us because of the things they choose to nerd-out over.

On the other hand, I just can't stand them, because they always mess up my commute whenever there's a sports game. At this point, "sports game" just means "crappy commute day" for me, and nothing more.