Spy Photos Reveal S.H.I.E.L.D. Is In Guardians of The Galaxy

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
Spy Photos Reveal S.H.I.E.L.D. Is In Guardians of The Galaxy

Please, please please don't let this mean that Skye will be helping Rocket Raccoon with his hollywood hacking.

Do we know how Marvel plans to tie Guardians of the Galaxy to the larger Cinematic Universe? We might now, if spy pics supposedly taken on theset of the ongoing additional filming forGuardians of The Galaxyturn out to be the real thing.

As you can see in the photo at the top of this page, the pics are of military vehicles bearing the S.H.I.E.L.D. logo. If they are indeed real then we may have proof the agency appears in some capacity in the film. The question now is, of course, in what capacity?

Little is known about the additional shooting, aside from that they involve Chris Pratt (Star-Lord) and Dave Bautista (Drax The Destroyer) in some way. But, on twitter [https://twitter.com/GuardGalaxy/status/444446109381832704] director James Gunn had this to say: "Anything you want you didnt get? Go for it. Something to make the movie better? Do it. Cool cameo idea? Bring 'em in." I'm going to bet money that they're currently filming the stinger. This wouldn't be the first time a Marvel film's stinger was shot months after principle shooting wrapped - the shawarma scene from The Avengers wasn't filmed until after the film had its official premier.

This throws an interesting light on the rumors surrounding the fate of spy agency S.H.I.E.L.D. in the wake of the events of Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Trailers have already (apparently) spoiled that Samuel L. Jackson's Nick Fury is killed at some point in that film. Assuming that actually happens and isn't just a red herring, it connects nicely with other rumors that the agency is disbanded or in some other way hopelessly compromised during the film. And of course, there are corresponding rumors that this will end up shaking things up on Marvel's Agents of NCIS Marvel's Agents of SHIELD to boot. These spy photos would seem to suggest that reports of S.H.I.E.L.D.'s death may have been greatly exaggerated.

I'm going to just take a stab in the dark and guess that the stinger takes place on Earth. That makes sense, since Star-Lord, AKA Peter Quill, is originally from Earth. But naturally, we need to take this with a huge grain of salt. Spy pics can be very unreliable, and for all we know the spy in question was on the set of Marvel's Agents of SHIELD, not GOTG. Still, enjoy speculating wildly in comments.

You can see the rest of the spy pics over on Nuke The Fridge [http://nukethefridge.com/2014/03/16/exclusive-images-set-guardians-galaxy/]

Source: Comic Book Movie [http://www.comicbookmovie.com/fansites/MarvelFreshman/news/?a=96230]

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
My take on this news is that maybe the Marvel organization S.W.O.R.D (they're like SHIELD but deal with alien threats) could be involved but I'm not too sure if S.W.O.R.D is related to S.H.I.E.L.D other than having similar names. (Sword and shield, get it?)

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
GameChanger said:
Aw come on man. Spoiler tags please?
Sorry - I'm a bit... conflicted on slapping spoiler tags on rumors. However, I didn't mean to throw sand in your eye, I'll keep this in mind.

Angelous Wang

Lord of I Don't Care
Oct 18, 2011
The death of Nick Fury doesn't necessarily mean the end of SHIELD, the movie SHIELD answers to a council comprised of a American, a Chinese, a Russian and a European. Fury is just the Director of Operations and can be overruled as also shown in the first movie.

And even if SHIELD officially dies, I wouldn't be surprised if one or more of these councillors or their governments recycled what is left of SHIELD into a black-ops faction their own.

hermes

Mar 2, 2009
To be honest, I hope Star-lord origin is as far as they go with Earth's business. One of the main issues I had with Green Lantern (the movie) was that, for all its ambitions about being a galactic-wide epic movie, most of it happened on Earth, which made it look too banal and familiar...

So far, nothing in this movie makes it look like it will repeat the same mistakes...

RossaLincoln

Feb 4, 2014
hermes200 said:
To be honest, I hope Star-lord origin is as far as they go with Earth's business. One of the main issues I had with Green Lantern (the movie) was that, for all its ambitions about being a galactic-wide epic movie, most of it happened on Earth, which made it look too banal and familiar...

So far, nothing in this movie makes it look like it will repeat the same mistakes...
Indeed. And if my wildly unsupported guess turns out to be true, especially since I'm probably the one millionth person to reach the same conclusion, then they'd be handling it right. I'm betting it's going to be a way to connect the guardians to earth for use whenever Marvel finally gets to Avengers 3 and the Infinity Gauntlet story.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
Nothing is truly being spoiler here, people. Not only is Sam Jackson signed on to several more Marvel movies than he has appeared in, but Nick Fury never dies in the comics. Ever. It's called Life Model Decoy. He has a million of them :p

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
Wait, so if Star-lord comes from Earth, and Guardians of the Galaxy takes place in modern times, how did he get into space? And, I guess I should also ask how the other humans got there, as well as the raccoon.

As for SHIELD, that vehicle looks ground-based, so I'd assume if it's for the stinger then they'll be setting up Avengers 2 by finding something important on Earth. Or maybe if SHIELD is gone, someone will be raiding their secret stash of alien artifacts. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
It's probably just the stinger. Up until now there's been nothing shown to tie Guardians into the Marvel Universe.

Brian Tams

Sep 3, 2012
Its probably for an end-credits scene that ties Guardians back to the events that are to unfold on Earth in future installments.

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
Is there actually anyone else out there who DOESN'T think Nick Fury is going to die in The Winter Soldier?
As far as I know, he's still signed on for several more films - including Age Of Ultron. Aside from that, the trailer for Winter Soldier makes it way too obvious. A lot of people refer to the shot of him in the upturned vehicle as being his end but a few shots on he's up and about, albeit looking rather beaten-up. The body on the gurney? Not necessarily Fury's by any means. There are other Agents working closely with Cap and we also know that some characters from his life in the 40's will be appearing in some form - meaning it may be that he has to confront the death of someone who is his only link to the past (bit of a long shot).
Personally I would be a bit disappointed if it all turned out to be true, as the same 'we must avenge our comrade' tactic was used in The Avengers with Coulson! Even if they then brought him back using the Life Model Decoy angle it's still far too similar to what happened with Coulson.

But anyway... Regarding the vehicle here, I'm going to assume it's only a vague connection. I don't believe for a second this means S.H.I.E.L.D. in space or anything like that. My money would be on Star Lord's "origins", so to speak, or a closing or post-credits scene as per usual. Although, for those of us who watch "Agents", we still don't know where our mystery guest came from...

Caffeine_Bombed

Feb 13, 2012
TripleDaddy said:
It's probably just the stinger. Up until now there's been nothing shown to tie Guardians into the Marvel Universe.
Except that most of the villains in Guardians are working for or allied with Thanos who orchestrated the attack on Earth seen in The Avengers.
But most people tend to agree that the Guardians and Avengers should remain seperate. Personally I think they should be aware of eachother and their mutual fight but never cross paths.

TripleDaddy

Mar 17, 2010
Caffeine_Bombed said:
TripleDaddy said:
Except that most of the villains in Guardians are working for or allied with Thanos who orchestrated the attack on Earth seen in The Avengers.
But most people tend to agree that the Guardians and Avengers should remain seperate. Personally I think they should be aware of eachother and their mutual fight but never cross paths.
You know that, and I know that, but has any of that made it into anything that's been released so far? Is there anything in the trailer that ties Guardians to the Marvel Universe? Not that I've seen.