Square Enix Announces Figure Heads, a New Five-on-Five Shooter

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Square Enix Announces Figure Heads, a New Five-on-Five Shooter

Square Enix has announced the new Windows PC shooter on their YouTube Channel.

Figure Heads is a new five-on-five shooter, which will be made available for Windows PC users. More details are promised for June 10, according the the official website [http://figureheads.jp/].

[UPDATE JUNE 10] Square Enix is now recruiting 7,200 beta testers for Figure Heads, and is accepting applications through July 1. Email notifications will be sent to the selected testers sent July 6, with closed beta testing occurring between July 8 and July 12. Applicants must reside in Japan and have a Square Enix account. Applications are available through the official website [http://figureheads.jp/].

SilverHunter

Sep 22, 2014
So... When we post "low content" messages, that's warning worthy... But if a news writer does it, it's perfectly fine? Good to know!

Snark aside...
Looks like 5v5 team based shooter with large kinda scrappy looking robots being piloted by girls of a "might be legal" age, of which you can spend time dressing them up and making them as pretty as you can make anime-styled girls be... Saw a back stab, and it looks like the story, if any, is likely based around something called Bot Games... I'm guessing sports competition that's exclusive to skimpily dressed female pilots.

Meh... Someone just tell Square the only mech game from them I want to see is Front Mission 5 localized... And a part 6 - developed by NOT (Garbage) Double Helix. If I wanted to play Armored Core, I have Armored Core. If I wanted to play a cheap knock off of Armored Core, I got several for the original Xbox too.

XenoScifi

Dec 30, 2013
SE getting in bed with another arena based shooter? Nosgoth is all but forsaken and only just reached an open beta this year. Instead of publishing another game in the same genre how about putting so more effort into projects already going?

Neurotic Void Melody

Bound to escape
Legacy
Jul 15, 2013
This article has the same vibe as those texts I accidently send prematurely due to clumsily hitting the send key instead of, I dunno, any other part of the phone. It's ok, we all hastily palm our phone sometimes. ;)

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
This goes in the same category as the Fallout 4 reveal and Dark Souls 3 leaks. Dont report it until you have something substantial to report on.

MonsterCrit

Feb 17, 2015
Gee.. you think.. they're trying to jump on the Splatoon, Overwatch bandwagon?

What next, They gonna drop hints about some Cross Franchise Moba?

Kopikatsu

May 27, 2010
MonsterCrit said:
Gee.. you think.. they're trying to jump on the Splatoon, Overwatch bandwagon?

What next, They gonna drop hints about some Cross Franchise Moba?
To be fair, if Square Enix or Capcom announced a cross franchise MOBA I would throw all my money at the screen.

RealRT

Feb 28, 2014
Square, honey, I got a better idea: how about you get to actually promoting the 4 vs 4 multiplayer shooter you already have, Nosgoth? Eh?

Oct 20, 2010
Anybody remeber Square saying they were going to dedicate themselves to JRPG again? Guess that lasted about 3 weeks huh?

Or is that Square Japan, and Enix just continues to pump out shite clones of other people's Ideas?

.....cross franchise MOBA from Capcom: So everything that sucks about LoL, plus Resident Evil Camera angles NTY!

flying_whimsy

Dec 2, 2009
Well, like any other square game: it looks pretty. I'm surprised they actually have gameplay in the trailer instead of just being all pre-rendered. I just...Look, did we need another small team vs game? It's like when everyone started coming out with mmos back when WoW was still a license to print money.

I'm more surprised that it's (so far) only coming to the pc. I was under the impression that square feared the platform. I guess all of those steam releases of older final fantasy games and the success of other stuff they publish is finally getting to them.

Aerosteam

Get out while you still can
Sep 22, 2011
It took this long to get a shooter which primarily features robots? Finally! :)

Although...

The guns they use are separate from their body, as opposed to them being actual parts of the robots. Boo! :(

BeerTent

Resident Furry Pimp
May 8, 2011
Look at the localization of the website, this one. Right here.

Now look at the localization of the cinematic featuring no real lengthy gameplay. Everything appears choreographed, and to me, this looks like the PoC stage.

There's nothing to see here. Come back when we have something worth looking at.

On an the topic of entertaining the concept... I've been hoping for a more modern "Phantom Crash." This could potentially be a step in the right direction if these bots are as modular as I'd hope they be.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
What a pity. Mindjack was awful. Hilariously awful.
This just looks...meh. The fact that they show very little actual gameplay footage is never a good sign.

Smooth Operator

Oct 5, 2010
Well someone played Cod and watched lots of anime, looks decent but in a market this saturated decent means I'll spend my time elsewhere.

Zulnam

Feb 22, 2010
Let me guess, 5v5 shooter with:

-heroes instead of classes
-limited number of weapons per hero
-F2P or P2P with microtransactions
-buyable skins
-hero purchasable using in-game currency or real money if you don't have a week to spend grinding

I should be glad; the saturation of MOBAs has helped me stabilize my income.