Square Enix Bleeds Trademark for Final Fantasy: Type-0

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Square Enix Bleeds Trademark for Final Fantasy: Type-0

Square Enix either just discovered Final Fantasy's blood type, or it has a new spin-off in the works.

When the Final Fantasy [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000FQ2DTA/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1293719888&sr=8-2] series became too big for its britches, the entity now known as Square Enix had to branch off into the world of spin-offs. A recent trademark filed by the company may hint towards yet another Final Fantasy spin-off that it could be working on.

Siliconera discovered a Square Enix trademark in the European trademark database for Final Fantasy: Type-0 (that's a zero, not an "O"). Notably, Square also filed a logo that displays "Type-0" in Kanji along with the trademark, when the company typically trademarks just a name.

The inclusion of a logo could hint toward something a bit bigger than another Square Enix Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: The Crystal Bearers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/104900-Square-Enix-Sings-a-Voice-Fantasy].

Final Fantasy: Type-0 is a curious name though, and I'm really not sure what exactly to make of it. "Type-0" seems to refer to something involving blood, and because of the popular belief in Japan that blood-type is linked to personality, this could be a new take on a Final Fantasy spin-off. Square Enix is holding a conference on January 18, 2011 to possibly show off future titles such as Final Fantasy Versus XIII [http://www.amazon.com/Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Playstation-3/dp/B000ZK9QBY/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1293720833&sr=1-1], so it may reveal more about Type-0 at the event. The thing about trademarks is that they could end up as nothing, but with the filing of a logo one can deduce that Square Enix already has something going here.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2010/12/29/square-enix-preparing-final-fantasy-type-0/]

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Meh, I couldn't care less. Although Final Fantasy Versus 13 looks awesome. Hopefully we get some gameplay footage.

Zenode

Jan 21, 2009
Tom Goldman said:
A recent trademark filed by the company may hint towards yet another Final Fantasy spin-off that it could be working on.
I'm gonna have a stab in the dark and say that the story involves some sort of genetic engineering and/or supersoldier

OT: In regards to a spin off it probably and most likely is. I think Final Fantasy is great but I really think they should try and do what IW attempted to do with Modern Warfare and make it become its own IP. Garner the attention with the FF label then let is branch off into its on franchise.

Final Fantasy: Type-0 then the next game be Type-0: Project Genesis or whatever

Beryl77

Mar 26, 2010
A new Final Fantasy spin-off? No, I think your first guess is right. Since Square Enix has been beating a dead horse for so long, Final Fantasy needs a blood transfusion.

icyneesan

Feb 28, 2010
It doesn't have a number in it and as we all know the FF games without the numbers in them tend to be the better ones.

JEBWrench

Apr 23, 2009
icyneesan said:
It doesn't have a number in it and as we all know the FF games without the numbers in them tend to be the better ones.
There is a number in it though.

mireko

Umbasa
Sep 23, 2010
Not completely sure what to make of the logo. Gritty reboot?

Maybe they'll be able to get through an entire game without mentioning the power of friendship.

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Oh, cool, sounds futuristic, exactly what the Final Fantasy franchise shouldn't be.

faspxina

Feb 1, 2010
It's a prequel to the first Final Fantasy... and the second one, and third one, and fourth one, and fifth one, and sixth one... and thirteenth one. In other words every Final Fantasy made until today is a sequel to this game.

Also meaning that there will finally be a reason for why every Final Fantasy game bears the same name.

mentalkitty789

Dec 30, 2010
I personally think Square Enix needs to take a step back. Look at their older, better games. I think they need to look at final fantasy 1-7. After they went down hill. A few of their spin-offs worked, but the cons out weigh the pros now. Even the older games have lost their shine because they keep re-releasing them. x.x