Square-Enix Boss Unfazed by Console-Less Future

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Dead Raen said:
I can't say I see a massive console reform happening within ten years. The average lifespan for a console is about 6 to 7, right? Maybe in twenty years. I'm sure there's going to be at least one or two more generations of consoles before everyone converts to PC.
Would it even be converting to PC??? I'm confused on what would actually used. Internet to your TV through cable and a channel for gaming through MS or Sony? Something like that maybe?

RUINER ACTUAL

Oct 29, 2009
Kenjitsuka said:
The XBOX only serves XBOX Live?
Nonsense! And even if that where true, Squeenix guy, how the F would one use XBL without the console?

Oh right, on our awesome cellphones of 2015 with still tiny screens and crappy controles!
Best to chuck my PS3 and 360 right now and be ahead of the curve!
Hah. Cell phone games are garbage. Even on iPhone/Touch (no matter what you say). But yes, investing in cell phones that dont exist yet is a good idea.

Patroclus

Sep 28, 2009
I believe the point that Wada is making is that consoles aren't just focused on gaming anymore. You can now play music, videos, view photos, and surf the internet in addition to playing video games on the PS3 alone. Console platforms will probably still exist in ten years, but they are becoming more and more similar to desktop PCs in terms of functions and applications. Thus the console as we know it now might not exist in ten years time. The console of the future will probably include even more features than it does now (i.e. built-in webcan, microphone, cd-burner etc.) Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if in ten years consoles started sprouting "widgets" and "apps". In other words, consoles are developing features that other computers already have, hence why would console-hardware be needed if consoles are turning into something that already exists?

If this trend continues as Wada speculates, consoles may in fact supplant Alienware PCs. Of course this may take a bit of a stretch of time and imagination. But it's something to consider, eh?

RatRace123

Elite Member
Dec 1, 2009
I hope we have traditional consoles, my fatass can't stand getting up and moving. And I would despise a download only console, until technology becomes incredibly stable and reliable.

FROGGEman2

Queen of France
Mar 14, 2009
How do they expect me to download Final Fantasy?

My internet really isn't that awesome.

Nadiril

Dec 28, 2008
Tbh i would like to avoid having to download games or stream them, I enjoy having physical copies of stuff since i tend to look after boxes/cases alot better then i do burnt discs and would rather devote my bandwidth to actually playing the games.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
CORRODED SIN said:
Would it even be converting to PC??? I'm confused on what would actually used. Internet to your TV through cable and a channel for gaming through MS or Sony? Something like that maybe?
Uh. No? I'm not sure what you're confused about.

It would be converting to PC.