Square-Enix Boss Unfazed by Console-Less Future

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005

Squeenix CEO Yoichi Wada thinks that in ten years' time we may not have consoles as we know them - but you know what? He's okay with that.

There's a widespread cultural perception amongst we Westerners that Japanese businessmen are cut from an entirely different cloth - that they are very reserved, that they are not as forthcoming and open with their actual beliefs for fear of losing face, and that sort of thing. For the most part, it may be true, but you wouldn't know it by looking at Square-Enix CEO Yoichi Wada.

Wada hasn't been afraid to say some controversial things lately, which is odd given his position as the head and public face of one of the largest game developers and publishers in the world. Lately, he's exhorted his fellow Japanese developers to make more games for adults [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96584-Squeenix-CEO-Calls-Out-Japanese-Gamers-on-Western-Bias]. Now, Wada has gone on the record envisioning a not-too-distant future in which consoles don't exist, but it isn't a future he minds.

When asked by Develop Online [http://www.develop-online.net/features/720/Yoichi-Wadas-online-vision] if he could see social games overtaking the traditional console market, Wada responded that the traditional console market was on the route of change regardless:

"It's tough to say at this moment. But let's say in ten years time what we traditionally call 'console games' simply won't exist. The exact timing at which it will go away is hard to determine, but somewhere around 2005 the console manufacturers' strategy shifted. In the past the platform was hardware, but that switched to the network. So a time will come when the hardware isn't even needed any more. Because the true strength of the Xbox 360 is Xbox Live."

Though the Squeenix big cheese says that the elimination of traditional consoles would of course have a major negative impact on the major distribution and sales firms, it's one that the platform owners themselves are preparing for. Microsoft is integrating its Xbox Live and Games for Windows Live platforms to consolidate their strengths, he said, whereas Sony was, with its Cell-powered PS3, moving toward something "like a home server in a sense."

As long as Wada and Square-Enix are able to sell their games on these new platforms, he probably won't have a problem with it. But will players?

Timbydude

Crime-Solving Rank 11 Paladin
Jul 15, 2009
I wouldn't have a problem with it either, as long as there's still competition. If a lack of consoles makes everything more fun/convenient, then I'm all for it. We just can't have a monopoly over the market, as OnLive could potentially bring.

Cherry Cola

Your daddy, your Rock'n'Rolla
Jun 26, 2009
Furburt said:
Interesting. Did Squeenix ever release anything on the PC out of interest?
Not what I've heard. Then again I'm not a massive Squeenix fan. Although I'm pretty sure that if they ever did release a game on the PC it would have the title "Look what you can't have more of because we are Sony fanboys"

Valiance

Jan 14, 2009
Wow, that's an interesting thought, but I feel mixed about it and I'm not sure if that's really the case.

Maybe if that OnLive takes off, or more of these web-browser based things like Quake Live and PlayTribes and Battlefield Heroes get popular...

I can see where he's going with it, especially with the XBLA and PSN style things.

This CEO guy is pretty cool, in his thoughts, though his methods (delaying game releases) might not be the best idea.

Oh: And on Steam, The Last Remnant is 75% off this mid-week sale.

Psychemaster

Everything in Moderation
Aug 18, 2008
Furburt said:
Mostly horrible ports of PS1 Final Fantasy games, which I've managed to get looking far better by running them on emulators.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
Furburt said:
List of Square Enix games [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Square_Enix_games]

Not many on there for the PC. FF7/FF8 were both done on the PC, but that was before they became Square Enix I believe.

Artemicion

Need superslick, Kupo.
Dec 7, 2009
I can't say I see a massive console reform happening within ten years. The average lifespan for a console is about 6 to 7, right? Maybe in twenty years. I'm sure there's going to be at least one or two more generations of consoles before everyone converts to PC.

orangeapples

Aug 1, 2009
Square Enix boss unfazed? yeah, because if I know anything about Square-Enix bosses is that they have 2 other forms.

Hiphophippo

Nov 5, 2009
Furburt said:
There are some ports of some of Final Fantasies but beyond ports, I don't think so.

At any rate, to the topic at hand, Technology is a wonderful thing. I don't mind how my hobby changes provided I get to enjoy great games. Interestingly though, if services like Onlive really take off, I'll be spending less money in the long run, which leaves me more for hookers and blow.

This is a future I believe in.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:
In the past the platform was hardware, but that switched to the network. So a time will come when the hardware isn't even needed any more. Because the true strength of the Xbox 360 is Xbox Live."

As long as Wada and Square-Enix are able to sell their games on these new platforms, he probably won't have a problem with it. But will players?

I won't have a problem. As long as we still have choices of which network and there's competition.

After looking at the choices we were given with this latest generation of overpriced hardware, I can't wait. No longer will we have to spend hundreds of dollars on some crappy machine that will melt in a month because it was designed and put together by a monkey with a crate of glue that he uses more for getting high than making anything constructive.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
As of right now, any creature with opposable thumbs can play video games. I definately see a future of digital gaming sooner rather than later, but game and console makers need to be pushing consumers to get online even harder than they are now or they will see a large drop in profits due to inaccessability.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
CantFaketheFunk said:

Squeenix CEO Yoichi Wada thinks that in ten years' time we may not have consoles as we know them - but you know what? He's okay with that.

There's a widespread cultural perception amongst we Westerners that Japanese businessmen are cut from an entirely different cloth - that they are very reserved, that they are not as forthcoming and open with their actual beliefs for fear of losing face, and that sort of thing. For the most part, it may be true, but you wouldn't know it by looking at Square-Enix CEO Yoichi Wada.
Lies! He's clearly called Imperial Hot, as thats what it says on the podium!

Kiutu

Sep 27, 2008
FYI consoles going away is by evolution, not PC 'winning'. Just means they will be indistinguishable. Im just hoping the end of HAVING to install games and havign to spend loads to keep uptodate.

SantoUno

Aug 13, 2009
Hmm consoles dying out of existence? Not sure if I could accept that.

Then again if I can keep the comfort of using a controller and TV to play I could continue gaming on whatever new medium exists.

The Rascal King

Aug 13, 2009
I'm cool with it. I just hope that whatever the future technology holds it has AFFORDABLE and FUN ways to play games.

Asehujiko

Feb 25, 2008
Furburt said:
There was a very shitty Total War ripoff set in WW2 that basically amounted to Ctrl+A followed by A+M1 behind the enemy base regarding tactics a few months ago. That's about it.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I really wouldnt want to see a Console-less future. I would however like to see just one-mega console. That way at least choice will be easier and wont need to spring out for all the major consoles at the time, and taking up space...

RikSharp

Feb 11, 2009
orangeapples said:
Square Enix boss unfazed? yeah, because if I know anything about Square-Enix bosses is that they have 2 other forms.
so true...

i am also doubtful that the timeframe is realistic but believe that the vision is likely to happen eventually