Square-Enix Boss Wants to See More "Adult" Japanese Games

MorteSphere

Jul 8, 2009
I find overly strict ratings agitating. I agree with him.

EDIT: About making more "Adult" games, that is.

TheGreatGonzo26

Oct 8, 2008
I'm glad they want to make more adult oriented games. It's better to branch out as a company than stay with one target demographic.

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
harhol said:
GonzoGamer said:
Wait. In Japan they make games with kids who shoot themselves in the head to unleash magic powers but they had to censor Fallout 3? He's right, they do need to revamp some of their regulations.
A game in which you had the opportunity to instigate a terrorist attack by hijacking planes and flying them into buildings would almost certainly be banned in the USA.
It wasn't just the nuke. The Joystiq roundup mentions a number of other games that went bloodless - Uncharted, Gears of War 2, and some that are slipping my mind.

Ninja_X

Aug 9, 2009
Carnagath said:
Wow, I didn't know Fallout was censored in Japan. In the home country of survival horror? Seriously?
That does strike me as backwards......huh

LaBambaMan

Jul 13, 2009
Japan can have an uncensored Fallout 3 when they stop letting Square make Final Fantasy games.

Amnestic

High Priest of Haruhi
Aug 22, 2008
LaBambaMan said:
Japan can have an uncensored Fallout 3 when they stop letting Square make Final Fantasy games.
Square will stop making Final Fantasy games when consumers stop buying them.

Same with pretty much every other franchise in existence.

GonzoGamer

Apr 9, 2008
harhol said:
GonzoGamer said:
Wait. In Japan they make games with kids who shoot themselves in the head to unleash magic powers but they had to censor Fallout 3? He's right, they do need to revamp some of their regulations.
A game in which you had the opportunity to instigate a terrorist attack by hijacking planes and flying them into buildings would almost certainly be banned in the USA.
Doesn't mean it should be. It's been 8 years, they can't use the too soon argument anymore. This is coming from someone who's lived in NYC his whole life.
Incidentally, that's why planes (and one mission in particular) were taken out of gta3.

tehroc

Jul 6, 2009
Yet Square Enix cant put out one game where the protagonist isn't some whiney tweenager.

hansari

May 31, 2009
Manawa said:
CEO of Square Enix, the company that is currently making 3 games from Final Fantasy series, the series that is based on effeminated underagers, shallow if not irritating support cast, with story line overflowing with worn out motives of love and friendship that nowadays any shonen anime is full of (InuYasha, Naruto, Bleach etc.), he is telling that Japanese game companies need to make more adult games....
I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt until FF13 is released...then if its the same old crap we burn him in effigy...

IDBash

Sep 4, 2009
So wait.... they are going to start making games where the characters are not 16? And actually look and sound like guys and girls?

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
AceDiamond said:
cobra_ky said:
CantFaketheFunk said:
"There are not many publishers that create games for adults," said Wada. "In the West, they tend to believe it's cool to play games, even adults." Not so in Japan, he lamented, where there is still a heavy perception that games are for youth, and an outdated ratings system results in games like Fallout 3 being censored [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/87365-Fallout-3-Edited-For-Japan] for violence. Though Wada does acknowledge that "game ratings [are] to protect children," he thinks that they do need to be revised in the country in order to bring about the change necessary for Japan to reposition itself as a leader in the global market.
uhh, it doesn't look like Fallout 3 wasn't censored for violence so much as referencing a horrible national tragedy.
I hate to ...actually no I won't make the comparison I was going to make because it really isn't the same. The thing is though that games in Japan do get censored for violence. No More Heroes went bloodless and Mad World didn't even so much as get released. Unfortunately those are the only standout examples because in the past it used to be the other way around.
I'm sure they censor plenty of games for violence, but as far as i know from that article, Fallout 3 wasn't one of them. Incidentally, MadWorld is getting released this winter under a different publisher.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Amnestic said:
LaBambaMan said:
Square will stop making Final Fantasy games when consumers stop buying them.

Same with pretty much every other franchise in existence.
Remember, profit is evil.

In any event I'd like to point out Square-Enix is also responsible for the Front Mission games, which do not have casts consisting of androgynous teens nor do they sugarcoat some issues. Hell in Front Mission 5 (Japan only) a pilot is brutally crushed in his own cockpit. Also the games have a fair amount of heavy geopolitical international intrigue that would probably zip by most younger folks.

Basically I'm saying he's not entirely talking out his ass here.

tehroc said:
Yet Square Enix cant put out one game where the protagonist isn't some whiney tweenager.
See above.