Square Enix Delays Deux Ex: Human Revolution

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Square Enix Delays Deux Ex: Human Revolution

Japanese publisher Square Enix admits it needs to focus more on quality, as underperforming games prompt delays.

Square Enix has pushed the release of Deus Ex: Human Revolution back from its first quarter 2011 release window until the next financial year, meaning that the game won't come out until April at the earliest. This is the second high-profile game that Square Enix has shunted into FY2011, following the indefinite delay [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/106013-Final-Fantasy-XIV-Free-Trial-Extended-Indefinitely] of the PS3 version of Final Fantasy XIV.

Square Enix blamed the delay on the poor critical performance of a number of big releases this year. In a statement, it said that the company had realized that game quality should be its top management priority, implying that it thought Human Revolution needed more polishing before release. It also slashed its earnings projections for the year by nearly 90%, from ¥12 billion, or nearly $143 million, to just ¥1 billion, or roughly $12 million. Square Enix will talk more about the situation in a news conference in Tokyo later today with Square Enix CEO Yoichi Wada in attendance.

It's unlikely that any single game has caused this dramatic cut in projections, but it's not hard to imagine that the lion's share of blame lies with Final Fantasy XIV. Unfavorable reviews will have hurt sales, and the game hasn't been generating the revenue that those estimates will have included, because Square Enix hasn't been charging players the $12.99 monthly fee while it irons out the kinks. What's more, the delay on the PS3 version, which is to allow Square Enix to get everything working before release, means that it has to wipe those potential sales off the board as well.

Source: Gamasutra [http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/32063/Square_Enix_Delays_Deus_Ex_Slashes_Yearly_Net_Profit_Forecast_By_90_Percent.php?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+GamasutraNews+(Gamasutra+News)]

JTLW

Jan 23, 2009
Nooooooes! Not mai Deus Ex!

SQUARE I HAVE BEEN VERY PATIENT WITH YOU THIS GAME HAS BEEN MAKING ME VERY EXCITABLE YOU HURRY UP GOOD K?

...can you tell I really want this title?

MindBullets

Apr 5, 2008
I want Deus Ex as much as the next person, but I think it's good to see more companies prioritising quality over earlier release dates. I'm ok with this.

EmzOLV

Oct 20, 2010
Ahhh no :( thats a big shame
Although to be fair, I've never really held onto any of Square Enix's release dates with any huge anticipation - always had the fear they would need to hold it back.

Would rather it be even more awesome if it still requires work.

Imbechile

Aug 25, 2010
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Damn! I was really looking forward for DX. I'll have to wait even more now :-(

Gizmo007666

Nov 12, 2009
Makes a nice change to see a game being held back to iron out bugs, much better than just rushing it out and leaving the customers annoyed (eg. Black Ops and New Vegas, as if I had to give examples), however if they end up releasing it with bugs in anyway they will most likely be subject to a lot of abuse

Ldude893

Apr 2, 2010
I see Valve's not the only one applying Valve Time to their game development practices.
I think it's a good idea to delay it, it'll give them more time to polish the game to the highest quality. From the trailers, the game look pretty good already, and now they can make it even better.

dead_but_smiling

Apr 14, 2009
MindBullets said:
I want Deus Ex as much as the next person, but I think it's good to see more companies prioritising quality over earlier release dates. I'm ok with this.
+1, especially for a title I'm really looking forward to.

Crowser

Feb 13, 2009
Better to be delayed than to rush it out and have it be rough
I am VERY interested in this game despite not having play any of the other Deux ex games, so I want it to be bloody good. It's giving me a bit of a MGS vibe which I love, because Rising certainly isn't scratching that itch right now ><

Tigurus

Apr 14, 2009
1 word: HHUUUHHGGGNN!!!!

Well, I bet I will like the game even better now. Mostly because I now have to wait in pain longer and that they (hopefully) work more and better on the game. :D

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
Damn, was really looking forward to this one. But I guess there's worse reasons to delay a game, at least this sounds like a good decision in the long run.

Adzma

Sep 20, 2009
Ephraim J. Witchwood said:
'Kay. News I care aboot, plox? :3
It never ceases to amaze me how people that have no interest in the subject matter bother to voice that fact to everyone else. JUST DON'T COMMENT.

OT: I haven't been following this game that closely, but I am keen to give it a try. I'm all for delays that are required polishing.

individual11

Sep 6, 2010
Dammit.
Goddammit.
Must...Not...Lose...Easygoing...Demeanour...

Well, they've lost the 'wait for the bugfix patch' excuse...

Fine, I'll play through DX1 again...again...

...again...

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
While I'm bummed by the delay I'm more surprised by the 90% cut in projected earnings. That is an amazingly high change. Whoever made that projection must have been wildly optimistic as to how well their games will sell. I know extraordinary circumstances are in play, but 90% is way off.

E-Hybrid

Jan 25, 2010
I'm slightly disappointed by the delay but considering the amount of games coming out early next year this might work out quite well for Square-Enix in the long run

TsunamiWombat

Sep 6, 2008
Delays for making the game moar dakka are welcome.

However, I want to see more gameplay footage. Unedited.