Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

Logan Westbrook

Transform, Roll Out, Etc
Feb 21, 2008
Square Enix Dusts Off Final Fantasy X for PS3 Remake

Don't worry if you missed Final Fantasy X the first time round, Square Enix is bringing it back for the PS3 and PS Vita.

I'll level with you, I have good news and I have bad news. The good news is that Square Enix is remaking one of the classic Final Fantasy games from the PlayStation era. The bad news is that it's not the Final Fantasy VII remake that so many people desperately want, it's Final Fantasy X instead.

Of course, it's not really bad news. While it might not have been the cultural phenomenon that was FFVII, Final Fantasy X was - and still is - a good game, even if it did have the slightly scary laughing scene you can see above, and a hero that was the dream of a dead civilization - and no, I'm not making that up. Square Enix hasn't revealed too many details about the remake as yet, except that the game will be available on the PS3 and the upcoming PS Vita.

If I had to guess, I'd say that it's going to be similar to the updates we've seen for series like God of War and Prince of Persia, which means updated visuals and maybe a 3D mode thrown in for the PS3. It seems unlikely that Square Enix will tweak very much other than the visuals, but it may yet surprise us.

Soruce: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/09/14/square-enix-announces-final-fantasy-10-remake-for-ps-vita-and/]

Zetsubou-Sama

Mar 31, 2010
One of the best in the series gets a remake, best turn based combat, one of the best scripts, best soundtracks, and a fun sphere grid.

I can get behind that. Way more than I would for VII remade.

JeanLuc761

Sep 22, 2009
As I've said elsewhere, this reveal of FFX on a portable as well as my PS3, as well as the implication that more PS2 remakes will be possible has 100% sold me on the Vita. Between the PSP compatibility, the fairly strong lineup of launch titles and an HD makeover of Final Fantasy X and Metal Gear Solid, Sony is doing a fantastic job generating excitement for the system.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
Swing and a miss!

You might as well be that first pilot down the Death Star trench. Honestly, I think Square-Enix is just screwing with their fans right now. "We'll remake one, but it will be the least desired one of all." Final Fantasy X was a good game, but darn it, I'd take VIII, IX, IV, and VII before X.

I have a mental image of Japanese business men in suits huddled around a boardroom table snickering.

FredTheUndead

Aug 13, 2010
Final Fantasy X was - and still is - a good game
No, no it really wasn't. That said, I did like the idea of an rpg in a sort of tropical setting, so maybe they'll use this remake as a chance to polish out a lot of the piss taking stuff like tedious collection quest, shitty minigames, awful character designs (sans Jet), and the almost unrelenting linearity that only lets up near the end for a bunch of sidequests that have almost no in-game hint as to their existence or how exactly to complete them. And maybe I'll become a sorceress queen that conquers the stars.

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
An interesting move; can't help but wonder what else they plan to renew.

For someone who hasn't done any research what exactly is the Vita's battery life, or hasn't that been announced yet? If it's anywhere north of an hour and a half playing one of their games...

megs1120

Wing Commander
Jul 27, 2009
Inkidu said:
Swing and a miss!

You might as well be that first pilot down the Death Star trench. Honestly, I think Square-Enix is just screwing with their fans right now. "We'll remake one, but it will be the least desired one of all." Final Fantasy X was a good game, but darn it, I'd take VIII, IX, IV, and VII before X.

I have a mental image of Japanese business men in suits huddled around a boardroom table snickering.
Pretty sure they're remaking this one because it'd be a whole lot easier to just bump up the resolution and maybe improve the textures than to rebuild a game from scratch like they'd have to do with an SNES or PS game.

sephiroth1991

Dec 3, 2009
Is this a Real Remake or is this a HD up-grade is the question. This might a incentive to go back since i got near the end and stopped playing it.

<Looks at User-Name> Some day Some day.

Vault Citizen

May 8, 2008
This news makes me so very happy, I was shouting at yes when I saw the article and I am currently resisting the urge to bounce up and down.

*is a very happy fanboy*

I've wanted this for a while now, I would love it if the remake looked like the good graphic cut scenes except all the time (though it will probably be a remake in the style of the God of War HD updates).

Archangel768

Nov 9, 2010
My favourite game ever and I can't wait for it.

Also, the thing you said about the protagonist in the article is a huge spoiler. I know this game is old but there are many people that will probably not have played this before that will be buying the HD release. So maybe it would be a good idea to put that in spoiler tags or something. Sorry but I just hate stories being spoiled no matter how old the game might be.

Inkidu

Mar 25, 2011
megs1120 said:
Inkidu said:
Swing and a miss!

Pretty sure they're remaking this one because it'd be a whole lot easier to just bump up the resolution and maybe improve the textures than to rebuild a game from scratch like they'd have to do with an SNES or PS game.
And if they can have a good laugh at their fan base, why the heck not?

Really it is just a moot point for me I don't own a PS3 or a PSP (whatever they call it now) and I'm probably not going to swing a Vita anytime soon.

So right now it's the principle of Final Fantasy remakery. Really though? PS3 only? Square-Enix, you know you're not tied to Sony's hip anymore, right?

CJ1145

Elite Member
Jan 6, 2009
You could easily have replaced the title of this article with "Square Enix Hears Fan's Pleas, Replies By Shouting "FUCK YOUUUUUUUUUU" From the Rooftops."

Seriously, did anyone ask for a X remake over a VII, VIII, IX, IX, or hell, even VI remake? Excluding Jecht and Auron (whom the game is quick to beat you ove-- I mean, remind you are not the characters the story is about) the cast is absolutely awful. I mean, even John DiMaggio was unable to save BruddaMon-- I mean, Wakka.

On top of by far the worst protagonist of the first ten games, and the only whiny douche capable of going toe to toe with Vaan and Hope and coming out on top, Tidus is the one character I never want to see again unless it's under the boot heel of a superior character.

Oh, and fucking Blitzball. I will never play Blitzball again.

ANImaniac89

Apr 21, 2009
Yes it IS bad news FFX sucked and its sequel is one of the worst video games I have ever played (and I own all three Burger King games).

AndrewC

Jun 24, 2010
One of my favourite all time games (if not my all time favourite overall), definitely considering getting a PS3 (again) for this.

Fusioncode9

Sep 23, 2010
Inkidu said:
Swing and a miss!

Love it or not, FFX is one of the most loved entries in the series. No best games on PS2 list has excluded. Though I don't care for it myself, I'm sure it will sell well.

RedEyesBlackGamer

The Killjoy Detective returns!
Jan 23, 2011
Dammit. They remake my least favorite game in the series. Oh well. Persona 4 already sold the Vita for me.