Square Enix Finally Confirms PC Final Fantasy VII

Jeremy Wilkinson

Behatted Physicist
Jun 14, 2012
Square Enix Finally Confirms PC Final Fantasy VII

After much back-and-forth, Final Fantasy VII gets a Phoenix Down at last.

The speculation surrounding a rerelease of Final Fantasy VII has finally come to an end, with the official launch of whose existence was leaked a mere couple of weeks ago [http://www.finalfantasyviipc.com/], boasts a set of new screenshots and a trailer. It also states that the new release will only be available from the Square Enix store, quashing rumors that the reboot might be coming to Steam.

As with the original leak, the page lists a host of new features for the game, including cloud saves (but still no Aerith saves) and achievements. The previously-hinted "Character Booster" also makes a reappearance on the feature list, allowing players to max out their party's stats when they're stuck. Whether the booster is an item, an in-game option or some kind of DLC remains a mystery.

While Square Enix has not given a definite release date yet, it affirmed that the updated edition will be "coming soon". The official site also omits the originally leaked price of £7.99/€9.99 (around $12.50). This missing information has been replaced with new details, though, with an until-now unseen list of system requirements revealing that the game will be accessible on a wide range of modern systems.

The announcement follows Square Enix boss Yoichi Wada dismissed rumors of a remake [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/101019-Final-Fantasy-VII-Remake-Pushed-Even-Further-From-Possibility], claiming that a full reworking of the much-revered JRPG would kill off the franchise. He claimed at the time that the development team would be more than happy to work on a new version of the game, but that he wanted to see an even better Final Fantasy game released first. Although that's not happened yet, and this isn't the full HD remake many were clamoring for, fans will no doubt be relieved that Square Enix have at last seen fit to give the acclaimed game a new lease of life.

Godhead

Dib dib dib, dob dob dob.
May 25, 2009
Ohohoho, tricky Square Enix, tricky. (Damnit I just want another Dragon Quest IS THAT TO MUCH TO ASK?

kajinking

Aug 12, 2009
HELLLL YEAAHHH!!!!

God I can't wait to play this again! Shame it doesn't appear to update the graphics at all but considering I played my old disk to the point that it broke it'll be nice to play a digital copy. I'm also really interested to see if they really did change anything in the base game. I know alot of people would disagree with me but I would love if they decided to have a hidden option to save Areith (I know there's very little chance of that but I can still dream).

Jonci

Sep 15, 2009
But.... didn't FFVII get a PC port years ago? It was back during the Windows 98 days.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
Huh?
I have the PC-Version of this game already. Bought it years ago.
What are the News?

Gather

Apr 9, 2009
Jonci said:
But.... didn't FFVII get a PC port years ago? It was back during the Windows 98 days.
If you believe final fantasy wiki page [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII] it was released on 1998. It could just be a HD remake

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
I
Gather said:
Jonci said:
If you believe final fantasy wiki page [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Final_Fantasy_VII] it was released on 1998. It could just be a HD remake
Hardly an HD remake, but it makes sense. The original FFVII PC port was handled mostly by Eidos, and now that Square Enix owns Eidos, it makes sense for the FFVII/VIII PC ports to get new, hopefully far less bug-riddled, life.

Jul 11, 2008
Jonci said:
Exactly this, adding achievements to something that's already got a PC release didn't warrant this level of dicking around. This isn't a new thing and it's kind of crappy to let this much hype build before the let-down.

Diana Kingston-Gabai

Aug 3, 2010
Lvl 64 Klutz said:
Hardly an HD remake, but it makes sense. The original FFVII PC port was handled mostly by Eidos, and now that Square Enix owns Eidos, it makes sense for the FFVII/VIII PC ports to get new, hopefully far less bug-riddled, life.
This. With the right combination of mods and fan-made patches, it is broadly possible to play FF7 on contemporary PCs... but if they're willing to create a more convenient package (perhaps one that eliminates the need for disk-swapping?) I could certainly be persuaded to check it out.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I always thought ff7 was one of the weaker ones... but i have to admit, I'm rather temped by this, it has been so long since i played a game like the older ff games, although i still wish it was ff9, I think of all the ff games, aside from 2 and 3 (us numbers) 9 is my fav.

twaddle

Nov 17, 2009
okay. Now tell me why i should give 2 flips. I have final fantasy 7 on disk. I have bought it twice 3 times on ps1. I also downloaded a copy of the ps1 version so the so called bugs i wouldnt have so i could play them on emulator. I also have played the modded versions with better textures which is a hell of alot better than what square is doing. I'm sorry but come back to me when square isn't milking the hell out of its old franchises and actually finishes a game that we want.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
To be sort of frank, i just assumed the reason they're updating the PC version was because Eidos handled the PC version, the level booster is only there is a larger casual audience to make it accessable to them.

I don't expect it to have anything that would make it a lick of an updated release like bonus dungeons, lore fillers or even ressurecting Aeris...lol, everyone knows that want to keep plot threads ambiguous so that they can milk another spinoff.

To this day, the only Final Fantasy titles that has not seen a remake has been just about every game from the 7th game onwards, possibly due to being 3D thus more tedious just to create models...or maybe remakes makes treasured game into a portable format...? (Yes, there's Final Fantasy X HD, but their models was already reasonably 3D.

If its on Steam, Kudos to Square Enix....now we just play the waiting game with Final Fantasy 8...just for Chocobo World. (because who has actually played it from the Plasystation release outside of Japan...?) D:

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
There was a PC port of this game quite some time ago. If you want to get the old CD ROM of it, it probably would take some time and cost quite a bit from whoever you find it. Amazon.com says 41 dollars.

A PC re release wouldn't be a bad idea because presumably they would have the game updated for current OS's and hardware along with the added extras they claim it will have. If they make the game like 10-20 dollars, I'll buy it right away.

Also curious as to what online service it will use. It saves there's cloud saves, so Steam is a likely candidate unless Square Enix is going to allocate servers on their end to manage it, which I doubt for some reason.

Edit: the main site says "Available exclusively on the Square Enix store". So yeah, I'm surprised.

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
Okay, I don't care about JRPGs, but did I fall into an alternate dimension without knowing?

Next you'll tell me that Spiderman and Wolverine were in The Avengers, there's no concept of playing Diablo III single-player online, and My Little Pony is still some little girl's show that guys are generally indifferent to.

Candidus

Dec 17, 2009
JezWilkinson said:
fans will no doubt be relieved that Square Enix have at last seen fit to give the acclaimed game a new lease of life.
What? No... Not at all. Square Enix is a company whose executives don't have an awful lot of common sense; in their own little minds, this minute effort is actually intended to reduce the clamour for a remake.

This is nothing more than "please shut up and buy the really terrible new stories we're producing these days... please buy the dreadful FF 10 HD we're planning... don't talk about FF7 any more"

Ahhh, no matter. In my world, Square died after FF9.