Square Enix Got Sephiroth In Your Beatmania

Earnest Cavalli

Jun 19, 2008
Square Enix Got Sephiroth In Your Beatmania

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy isn't just a pronunciation enigma, it's also Square Enix's upcoming Final Fantasy-based rhythm title.

Don't bother trying to figure out the logic here. You'll only hurt yourself. Just accept that there is a market for this thing, and we'll move on to specifics.

Siliconera reports:

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy, as seen in this week's issue of Jump, is a theater rhythm action game. Players will explore dungeons, towns, and battle enemies in traditional Final Fantasy style... but everything in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy plays like a music game. You use the stylus to tap and hold notes while fighting behemoth, for example.

Expect popular songs and characters from the entire Final Fantasy series to appear in Theatrhythm Final Fantasy. A screenshot shows Kingdom Hearts avatar versions of Cloud, the Warrior of Light, Lightning, and Onion Knight. Kind of looks like a musical version of Dissidia: Final Fantasy, doesn't it?

The game is scheduled for release on the Nintendo 3DS at a date likely to be determined after the shocked cries of "seriously? no, seriously?!" have died down to a low roar. A North American iteration of the game has not yet been confirmed, though as Siliconera points out, Square Enix has applied for a US trademark on the game's baffling portmanteau [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/06/17/square-enix-hasnt-said-anything-about-theatrhythm-yet/].

Despite my above cynicism, I should grudgingly admit that Square Enix probably knows what it's doing.

Who thought a Final Fantasy/Disney mashup would ever work? Did anyone actually ask for a Final Fantasy fighting game?

Square Enix may milk its cash cow franchises like an obsessive compulsive Amish farmer, but for the most part, the milk that results is surprisingly delicious.

Source: Siliconera [http://www.siliconera.com/2011/07/05/theatrhythm-final-fantasy-is-beatmania-meets-final-fantasy/]

King Toasty

Oct 2, 2010
I... wait, I actually think this is damn cool. Square Enix does weird mashups well, and they have CRAZY awesome music.

So... I might buy.

Madmanonfire

Jul 24, 2009
This sounds very interesting. I'd try to figure out how it would work, but it hurts my brain already.
EBA-ish gameplay possibly? "tap and hold notes"

bitCrusher

Jul 3, 2011
I have a burning hate for Square Enix, but I respect it for developing a game such as this. I have always wanted to combine rhythm-based gameplay into an action game, and Square is doing it for an RPG! Quite interesting, can't wait for more details.

HigherTomorrow

Jan 24, 2010
Does the gaming population still care about Sephiroth? I'm sorry, but every time I see him mentioned as a popular, well-written character I just cringe.

*Is harassed for Duke Nukem avatar*

Mahorfeus

Feb 21, 2011
Pronunciation - "The Heat Rhythm"?

Pretty cool idea, actually. For many series this would be a new low, but considering FF's huge music collection, it's a pretty clever idea for the franchise.

Heck, even the crappiest FF games had awesome soundtracks. XIII's Blinded by Light comes to mind.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
You know what? I would play that. Although I generally despise JRPGs, make their gameplay really weird and I'm totally in.

Dr. wonderful

Dec 31, 2009
...You do realize there WAS a fighting game full of Final fanasty 7 characters right?

Ehrgeiz: God Bless the Ring [http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Ehrgeiz:_God_Bless_the_Ring]

It..was something else.

zidine100

Mar 19, 2009
Did someone just mention final fantasy with guitars?

im just hoping the spoony bard is in there.

DJ OMiY

May 19, 2009
This sounds really cool, and I will probably buy if I ever get a 3DS. However, no matter how god-tier some people believe Sephiroth to be, he will never be able to touch the insanity of Himiko on beatmania IIDX 16.

Just sayin'. Can't wait for more info!

GeorgW

ALL GLORY TO ME!
Aug 27, 2010
Umm, what??
I'm sure there's a market, but with the crash of rhythm games, how did they even get the idea??

epikAXE

Save the planet: It has beer!
Oct 26, 2009
This is slightly off topic, but that milk analogy was fucking fantastic.

Beautiful End

Feb 15, 2011
BUT WHAT ABOUT KH3?!

Man, Square Enix is just trolling now. Look, I LOVE Square Enix, I love FF. So that's why it hurts me to see them fall to their doom. Worst part is that they don't seem to care. Or maybe they don't realize the gravity of the situation. Or they simply don't care because they think everything is fine and they don't really give a crap about what consumers want. so, yes, trolling.

I'll admit I'm not a FFVII fan. But hell, tons of people are begging for a FF7 remake. It would be a "Shut up and take my money!" situation. So why don't they do that to at least stabilize their company? Why not release KH3 at last? 10 years of trolling us with spin-offs? Come on!

It really pisses me off:
Square Enix: So without further ado, this is the game you were waiting for...
Fans: *GASP*
Square Enix: ...Years in the making...
Fans: OSHIIII--
Square Enix: The one. THE ONLY!
Fans: Hell, yeah! We lov--
Square Enix: Yet ANOTHER game that you've never heard of, care of and is not the one you were expecting! 8D
Fans: ¬_¬

A little bit on topic. Look, I think that's an innovative idea. It might be a great game for all we know. And if it wasn't because I think the 3DS is not worth my money, I would buy this game. Along with Megaman Legends 3. But really? Would it kill you guys to make peace with your fans for once? I mean, yes, release this game...along with some others that we're obviously waiting for.

BobisOnlyBob

is Only Bob
Nov 29, 2007
Mahorfeus said:
Pronunciation - "The Heat Rhythm"?
"Theatrhythm" sounds like "Theatre Rhythm" to me, just said FAST. Square has always compared the classic Final Fantasies - I-IX - to stage (theatre) productions, rather than movies. FFX onwards have been somewhat more 'cinematic'...