Square Enix, Marvel Announce an Avengers Game

Lizzy Finnegan

Mar 11, 2015
Square Enix, Marvel Announce an Avengers Game

Square Enix and Marvel announce a "multi-game partnership," beginning with an Avengers game.

Square Enix and Marvel have announced a partnership [https://twitter.com/SquareEnix/status/824633005842984962], which will include the creation of multiple games from the Marvel universe - the first of which will be an Avengers title from Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics and Deus Ex developer Eidos Montreal. The announcement was accompanied by a brief teaser trailer, and is being promoted on social media with "#Reassemble."

Little has been revealed about the project, although the YouTube description says that the game "will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise."

It also states that more details on the game, and other games, will be announced in 2018. So it looks like we've got a bit of time to wait.

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
Okay. This could be great or terrible. I'm really hoping for Arkham games, but fear we could get Superman 64. And I'm not certain that Square can do Arkham.

Darth Rosenberg

Oct 25, 2011
Hm. Colour me surprised and mildly optimistic?

I thought [the first] nu-Tomb Raider was superb, and its only weakness was its story - not its gameplay or phenomenal world design. If the same team/s is working on Marvel content, then I may finally have a superhero game I actually care about playing (Arkham City was incredible, sure, but I'm not a fan of Batman unless it's Nolan/Bale/Zimmer/Pfister's Batman).

MCerberus

Jun 26, 2013
It's Eidos, thank god. They've been doing alright and there's a slim chance we won't get those overdesigned monstrosities that showed up in concept art by FF artists

Gutsripper

Aug 23, 2010
This has a chance of being pretty damn amazing.
But...
More details on The Avengers project and other games will be announced in 2018
That's going to be a damn long wait.

Living_Brain

When in doubt, overclock
Feb 8, 2012
I'm just gonna prepare myself for this being pretty bad, as movie games usually go.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Living_Brain said:
I'm just gonna prepare myself for this being pretty bad, as movie games usually go.
I dont think its a movie game. Would be kind of late to make a game based on a film from 2012 (or 1998 if you want to be cheeky).

008Zulu_v1legacy

Sep 6, 2009
Prediction time!

We will get 4 individual games, setting up each of the core heroes, which will lead in to a 5th where you have all of them teaming up against some big threat.

Oh, and it will have Mankind Divided level microtransactions.

immortalfrieza

Elite Member
Legacy
May 12, 2011
Country
USA
MCerberus said:
It's Eidos, thank god. They've been doing alright and there's a slim chance we won't get those overdesigned monstrosities that showed up in concept art by FF artists
I doubt anything like those overdesigned monstrosities would ever actually be used as the main costumes of any superhero games anyone makes. I'm pretty sure those were just deliberately over the top crap for the sake of a joke and/or just to show off anyway. I could see them being used as alternate costume in jokes though.

I just want something similar to LEGO Marvel Superheroes but with design aesthetics appropriate to everything NOT being made out of LEGO pieces. Open world, dozens of usable superheroes and supervillains, obstacles and collectables requiring specific powers to get through, that sort of thing. If they can do something like that it'll be just fine, throw in a few additions and an Arkham style combat system and it'll be great.

Daymo

And how much is this Pub Club?
May 18, 2008
The 2018 timing lines up with the release of Infinity War part 1, so some hints to the plot of the movie in that trailer?

Kahani

May 25, 2011
Lizzy Finnegan said:
the game "will be packed with all the characters, environments, and iconic moments that have thrilled longtime fans of the franchise."
All of them? I find that rather unlikely.

TheScorpion

Feb 24, 2016
Wasn't sure what to make of this until I saw it was Eidos being involved. Now I quite excited for it since those Eidos properties always interest me more than whatever game Square Enix has in store that isn't Dragon Quest even if those games I mentioned don't always turn out as well (The Thief reboot being an example).

Shame that I won't be getting any more info on it until like next year I believe.