Square Enix Modifies Revealing Bravely Default Costumes for the West

Cmdr Keen

Nov 1, 2013
Magenera said:
Cmdr Keen said:
IndomitableSam said:
Oh god...

They gave women extra clothes so they aren't in straps and bikinis fighting alongside men in full platemail and people are losing their shit.

Yay incoming sexism debate and pure stupid.

Edit: I say "women" in the broadest sense, since the chibi models look like children.

The costumes were redesigned because the characters in question are children, but sure, let's make this about RAWR MYSOGYNY!

Though he does look like a baby. I'll give you that.
You undershot his age by 3 years, only one of them is 15 and she is the female with crazy hairdo.
They're all 15-17 in the original JPN release, and all had 3 years added in NA/PAL. Ringabel's original age is 15, 18 in the "censored" releases. Edea, the girl I assume you're referring to, is also 18 in the west.

Check your facts. Seriously, I don't even own a 3DS, much less the game, and a quick look at the wiki tells me all these things.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
Cmdr Keen said:
IndomitableSam said:
Oh god...

They gave women extra clothes so they aren't in straps and bikinis fighting alongside men in full platemail and people are losing their shit.

Edit: I say "women" in the broadest sense, since the chibi models look like children.

The costumes were redesigned because the characters in question are children, but sure, let's make this about RAWR MYSOGYNY!

What. The. Fuck.

There is just no other reaction to that.

Is that his real outfit?

Cmdr Keen

Nov 1, 2013
IndomitableSam said:
Cmdr Keen said:
IndomitableSam said:
Oh god...

What. The. Fuck.

There is just no other reaction to that.

Is that his real outfit?
It's DLC. No idea how this outfit, or the outfits in the original post relate to gameplay, as the game uses a Final Fantasy-esque job system where everyone wears gear approprioate for their current job. As far as I can tell, the girls' outfits aren't DLC, but only used as a gag in a single scene.

Without having played the game, to me it looks like this is all blown way out of proportion.

EDIT: Actually, the black leather strap outfit with bunny ears seems the be the outfit for the Vampire job. So that one at least does get some use in the game.

EDIT2: And the bikini-thing is an alternate outfit (as in, overrides the current job's outfit) for that particular character. All other alternate outfits (including the tighty-whitie-boy) are DLC. So apparently the player CAN have her prancing around half-naked, if they so choose. Oh well. I tried fighting for you, Bravely Default, but you're just too pervy for your own good.

Nurb

Cynical bastard
Dec 9, 2008
The west is having more and more trouble seperating fiction and reality.

Still loves a bit of the ultra-violence though.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Cmdr Keen said:

Welp. thank you. That Image alone has now convinced me to buy this game. Words cannot express how long I've wanted to play a jrpg featuring a blond pretty boy wearing nothing more than what seems to be white panties.
wow. never thought I'd type that. One more thing to scratch off the bucket list I guess.

Cmdr Keen

Nov 1, 2013
EyeReaper said:
Cmdr Keen said:

Welp. thank you. That Image alone has now convinced me to buy this game. Words cannot express how long I've wanted to play a jrpg featuring a blond pretty boy wearing nothing more than what seems to be white panties.
wow. never thought I'd type that. One more thing to scratch off the bucket list I guess.
Hey, just don't blame me if it turns out they removed/redid the outfit for NA...

BoredRolePlayer

Nov 9, 2010
Oh no a game put MORE clothes on a women, after fans in the US SHAT 20 TONS OF BRICKS BECAUSE OF LIGHTING CLOTHES. My goodness one side whines bitches and moans about lighting's new outfit and her breasts, now we are suppose to be mad that they are putting more clothes on. This is way no one can take gamers for real because they don't know what they want nor do the actlike it.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
SnakeTrousers said:
Next thing you know, those totally-legal-age characters will be wearing actual clothing!
^This right here is the crux of it.

You can't compare this to other "censorship cases", because the models look like children.

And, you know, sexualization of children is freaking illegal. It's no surprise that they thought "I don't think this will fly as is in the West, let's hedge our bets".