Square Enix Modifies Revealing Bravely Default Costumes for the West

Crimsonmonkeywar

Oct 27, 2013
I'm fine with this, not a fan of adolescent-like underage animated characters in skimpy bikini-like clothing, especially in a portable title. Even an older woman can take a serious moment in an animation and completely destroy it with "fanservice".

I don't mind T&A, but there's a thing as eyerollingly too much and too far, so I'm okay with this.

rbstewart7263

Nov 2, 2010
Dr.Awkward said:
I guess the opposite question to ask is: Why didn't the original designers think about how practical, chibi-sized armor could actually look awesome? I mean, yeah, the general shape would likely be some plate armor melded with a Victorian dress, but that may look sexier and more appealing than some outfit that reveals a lot of skin.
this could only piss me off if the men were some kind of uber sexed but this is fine.

they could have skimped the men up that would have been different lol. though to be honest there chibi as hell but yeah this will make me happy when I buy the game.

Cha cha cha cha changes,

Alfredo Jones

Jul 1, 2013
Leaving out the whole censorship/sexism/misogyny discussion, I personally thing the altered outfits look cooler and more badass than the originals. The originals seem to me like they may be trying a little too hard to be sexy which kind of doesn't work with the stylized chibi-esque characters. I don't know if I would buy it since I haven't tried the demo yet but either way this isn't going to affect my dissension in the least.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Arqus_Zed said:
You know...

There's a lot of room for discussion here. Are the Japanese perverts? Is the Western civilization filled with prudes? Does this harm the original game? Are they right to change the ages because putting teens is revealing clothing is creepy (even though we see it daily within our own society)? Or is it all irrelevant because it is just a game?

But the one point I keep coming back to, is this: what's the fucking point if your graphics look like *that*. I mean, I like JRPGs (to a point) and I've heard some good things about this game, but between the capabilities of the 3DS and the style they went for with this game... you couldn't make this explicit even if you had full frontal nudity.

Do they even have noses? I can't say for sure because of the small resolution, but it looks as if the characters don't even have a nose.
Bwahahaha! I have to agree with this. Making characters T&A pieces of sex meat is one thing, but what's the fucking point when you're using THAT graphical style? Who exactly are you trying to pander to? Oh well. All in all it's good that they toned down the, ah... lolicon-ness?

LavaLampBamboo

King of Okay
Jun 27, 2008
Magenera said:
Yeah well I won't be getting this shit, till I find out if comes to America uncensored.
Dude, why the hell do you want to see extra skin on a 15 year old that much?

flamedance58

May 2, 2008
Make it tasteful and that's all I care.
I understand that it's anime/japanese and their like the idea of sexualizing children but..I don't want that...trust me I see enough middle-school kids bopping around in tight pants it makes me lose hope in mankind.

I don't need to play a game where my character is 15, wears clothes like a stripper, and then gets attacked by an octopus.

Mind you, if it's in Japan they can get away it to a point. Do recall the government there did ban lolicon stuff. Like anything that's blatant "I'm 12 and I want sex all day!" is actually illegal last time I saw the article on the stuff.
But here in the Canada, US, etc..we don't really want that in our games since it's creepy.

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
Desert Punk said:
So they changed it because they didnt want the social justice warriors crying at them.

As far as reasons go I can accept that they dont want to listen to their whining and bitching.
I would wager the changes are rather more for the ESRB than for the appeasement of any particular intrest group or fear of any kind of back-lash. In general, Continental Europe, Japan, South Korea, etc. do not have the same Victorian prudishness as the United States; and they really couldn't care less about our thoughts on how short a cat-girl's skirt is. The publisher and distrubuter are likely just doing what they must in order to ensure the widest possible general audience release in our market.

I know the article states that Europe's version is getting the same changes as the one coming state-side, but it wouldn't surprise me if the reason is simply to have all the translation and localisation applied uniformly to the same version -- practicality and nothing more.

On game character appearance in general- I do have to admit I find it silly if a game goes for photorealism (whether otherwise being fantasy, sci-fi, etc.), and lets dudes fight in chain mail but relegates girls to a bikini. The more real the style, the more real my expectations. But if the game is stylized and cartoony, I readily accept the clothing design choices as intrinsic to the style. And games from Japan are often as heavily stylized as games can get (and I also don't wish to impose the culture norms of my society onto the entertainment production of a completely different society) - so I never finding myself wondering about why some guy's jacket only has one sleave (seriously square-enix with the half-clothes and the no symmetry Ha! ), or why some girl likes fighting in a corset in the context of the game. Because in those cases where the game is stylized the art style is informing the context of the game. So, I just go with it.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
Yup. I'm completely fine with this, like many of the others here it seems. Not because I find lolis distasteful, or because I think those girls are dressing too skimpily in the original outfits (compared to other games, it's not the worst I've seen) But mostly because I like the way the new models look. they're pretty cool.
Are those two outfits the only things altered? or is there other things as well?

vagabondwillsmile

Aug 20, 2013
EyeReaper said:
Yup. I'm completely fine with this, like many of the others here it seems. Not because I find lolis distasteful, or because I think those girls are dressing too skimpily in the original outfits (compared to other games, it's not the worst I've seen) But mostly because I like the way the new models look. they're pretty cool.
Are those two outfits the only things altered? or is there other things as well?
Yah - I gotta say, I really dig the design on the bottom left - it looks more sleek to me.

SwagLordYoloson

Jul 21, 2010
2xDouble said:
[Generic comment expressing acknowledgement.]

[Snarky remark featuring flippant, unapologetic misogyny framed as intentionally ironic and humorous.]

[Whinging about the current state of being as unacceptable.]

[Secondary snark featuring blatant, unapologetic misogyny, unintentionally ironic; easily misconstrued and taken out of context.]

[Meaningless technobabble and assorted gibberish]

[pseudo-intellectual summation; vain attempt to disguise opinion as objectivity]
[Guy going to lengths to create relevant comment]

Caiphus

Social Office Corridor
Mar 31, 2010
2xDouble said:
[Generic comment expressing acknowledgement.]

[Snarky remark featuring flippant, unapologetic misogyny framed as intentionally ironic and humorous.]

[Whinging about the current state of being as unacceptable.]

[Secondary snark featuring blatant, unapologetic misogyny, unintentionally ironic; easily misconstrued and taken out of context.]

[Meaningless technobabble and assorted gibberish]

[pseudo-intellectual summation; vain attempt to disguise opinion as objectivity]
[Invitation to share popcorn]

[Cynical expression of dismissal towards thread topic]

[Snide remark regarding Japanese sensibilities]

Alright, sarcasm aside, I would be much less likely to buy the game with the original outfits. I would frankly feel rather embarrassed if my girlfriend/parents/siblings/friends walked in and saw me playing a game with those character models on screen. So whatever. I'm probably not going to get the game anyway, so my opinions probably don't count, but halfway sensible (although they still look borderline silly) outfits would help.

But whatever, I don't even know why I'm commenting. This affects me exactly zero. Help.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
As long as they didn't alter anything major, and I can't find any example of anything major being changed, I'm still buying it. I don't care if they adjusted the clothing or ages a little, that is not what I'm buying the game for. By all accounts, the main content of the game wasn't touched.

And giving my $.02 'cuz I can, I actually like the top left costume more than the original. The bottom one is just meh all around to me, though if I had to pick I like the original a tiny bit more.

Cmdr Keen

Nov 1, 2013
IndomitableSam said:
Oh god...

They gave women extra clothes so they aren't in straps and bikinis fighting alongside men in full platemail and people are losing their shit.

Yay incoming sexism debate and pure stupid.

Edit: I say "women" in the broadest sense, since the chibi models look like children.

The costumes were redesigned because the characters in question are children, but sure, let's make this about RAWR MYSOGYNY!

Though he does look like a baby. I'll give you that.

StormDragonZ

Dec 6, 2013
In America, the term used is "jail bait". I can understand that mentality as 18 is considered the age of consent there.

In Japan, age of consent is 13. That's why it would be, in a way, considered normal.

It's region stuff.

Plucky

Enthusiast Magician
Jan 16, 2011
I've seen people say on the internet that it's "ruined" the American release, saying that said screenshots came from the EU/American versions...but the US version hasn't even came out yet, i think it's just cultural differences, Square Enix is known for its RPGs, chances are what censoring might have been taken into consideration for both Europe and Australia, rather than waiting months after the American release just to release it in Australia.

Chances are it's only censored/changed to an extent to get a lower age rating, so that the series might get a stable foothold, who really wants to see a potentially good series only get 1 west-bound game? Now only if they actually released the remaining Dragon Quest remakes, Dragon Quest Monsters 2: Terry Wonderland and possibly the 3rd Rocket Slime game. (assuming if that's even out yet) it's the digital age, they could potentially remove the need to pay for physically creating cartridges in the west.

If you think about it, SE is known for Final Fantasy, it's amazing that they're even thinking of considering of supporting another RPG and shown more love for it, than just making an IOS version of the game.... *coughworldendswithyoutheatrhythmcough*

EDIT: Wasn't this pointed out months ago...?

KOMega

Aug 30, 2010
While I don't play Bravely Default myself and I don't mind either version, I dislike the fact that changes were made. Still, even if this was something I played myself, the level of disapproval from me would probably only manifest as just an eyeroll at best.

The changes in ages is a bit silly to me, seems kinda arbitrary. But I can see how some people seem to care about those, I guess.