Square Enix "Preparing" Final Fantasy Versus XIII Announcement

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Square Enix "Preparing" Final Fantasy Versus XIII Announcement

Square Enix has apologized for the lack of updates and is asking fans to "wait just a little more."

The road for Final Fantasy Versus XIII continues to be a long and tumultuous one. Originally announced in 2006 as part of Square Enix's Fabula Nova Crystallis collection, the seven years since have seen multiple delays with prospects for an actual release of the anticipated title falling further and further into doubt. These doubts haven't been helped much by Square Enix, which has been somewhat tight-lipped on the game. This lack of information isn't something the publisher has been oblivious to, however, and waiting fans may soon have news to help get them a bit closer to the game's long delayed release.

Speaking recently on Square Enix Radio, Tetsuya Nomura, the director of Versus XIII acknowledged the company's silence and promised details on the game's progress soon. "The date when we can concretely lift the ban has been decided and we are preparing for that moment," said Nomura. "Maybe the details as to why information couldn't be released might be touched upon at the next information announcement." Despite the years long wait, Nomura implored fans to remain patient. "I'm sorry it's already overdue, but please wait just a little more."

That might be a tall order for some, considering the duration they've been waiting. Versus XIII has been in development since before its 2006 reveal and while you can chalk up some delays to <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/102651-Final-Fantasy-Versus-XIII-Has-Had-Many-Difficulties>development difficulties, there are limits to what's understandable. This is especially the case when you consider that Square Enix has, in the same time period, managed to complete Final Fantasy XIII and develop a full-fledged sequel <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/119461-Lightning-Returns-in-a-Shorter-More-Action-Oriented-Final-Fantasy>with another on the way.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/square-enix-apologises-for-overdue-news-on-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-6407092>GameSpot

Dr.Awkward

Mar 27, 2013
Hmm... It's either going to be "Final Fantasy 13 Versus is cancelled", or "Final Fantasy 13 is now Final Fantasy 15". Or, it could be that Final Fantasy 13 has become part of Final Fantasy 13-3.

Any takers?

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
Ever since people learned it was just another game with KingdomHearts-style gameplay, people stopped caring. The only thing holding anticipation nowadays is the hope that it'll actually strive to be something good. The trailers actually looked really nice.

Regardless, an announcement for an announcement is stupid.

alj

Master of Unlocking
Nov 20, 2009
I miss the days when i could look forward to a final fantasy game. They are just total garbage now. I tell a lie i am looking forward to a final fantasy, final fantasy 3 on the OUYA.

JokerboyJordan

Sep 6, 2009
Absolutionis said:
Ever since people learned it was just another game with KingdomHearts-style gameplay, people stopped caring. The only thing holding anticipation nowadays is the hope that it'll actually strive to be something good. The trailers actually looked really nice.

Sorry, I'm sure that you speak for everyone, but I know a lot of people that love the KH series, and a Final Fantasy game with it's gameplay is hardly a bad thing.

I hope to god it has not aged too terribly, and I hope that they don't try to explicitly try to link it with the shit that is FF13.

Absolutionis

Sep 18, 2008
JokerboyJordan said:
Absolutionis said:

Sorry, I'm sure that you speak for everyone, but I know a lot of people that love the KH series, and a Final Fantasy game with it's gameplay is hardly a bad thing.

I hope to god it has not aged too terribly, and I hope that they don't try to explicitly try to link it with the shit that is FF13.
Likewise, many people enjoyed FF13, including myself. It had great graphics, a linear story, angsty characters, and awesome locations; it contained everything every game in the proper FF series has done since aside from a pilotable airship.

You and many others didn't enjoy FF13.
I and many others didn't enjoy Kingdom Hearts.

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Haven't they been "promising details on the game" and telling people "to wait just a little longer" since early 2007? I like the look of this game, but damn am I unsure if I want to support it after all the shit we've had to deal with.

And a piece of advice Square: Please don't expect it to sell a zillion copies then be disappointed.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
The announcement will be that Versus is coming out for the PS4, and some people will buy a PS4 to play Versus,
then the game will get delayed and this time, eight years or so from now, we'll get another announcement stating that Versus will be for the PS5.

DTWolfwood

Better than Vash!
Oct 20, 2009
Lazy said:
So, they're announcing the upcoming announcement?
Seems to be a terrible terrible trend of this going around. I'll actually become less interested in something when they do this.

Fiz_The_Toaster

books, Books, BOOKS
Legacy
Jan 19, 2011
Country
United States
I was wondering a while back if they were gonna release it for the PS4 since they've said nothing other than "it's being made and not dead", so it looks like that will be the case.

Would be pretty neat if it was a launch title.

FFP2

Dec 24, 2012
It's been 7 freaking years. Why are people even expecting it to be good when we've seen just how shitty games with crazy long dev times can be.

I really hope that they announce a 360 version though. They did it for FF13 so why not this?

Buccura

Aug 13, 2009
Does anyone really care THAT much about Final Fantasy anymore outside of it's most die hard fanbase? I can only speak for myself as a former Final Fantasy fan but I fell out of the series quite a while ago.

Magmabear

Apr 1, 2009
Sorry guys, but I've gotta call it. This game for the amount of time it will take for them to actually release, it just won't be worth the wait. I'll bet you that it won't be worth the wait and it will be a huge disappointment after its release.

Being hopeful though, I suppose. There is always a chance that it will be good, but odds are against this game, and I pray that I am absolutely wrong on this one. <:(

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
ScrabbitRabbit said:
It's basically become Square's Half-Life 3.
I'm leaning more towards Daikatana myself, but realistically, it'll probably just be another Final Fantasy 12.