Square-Enix Presses Reset with Final Fantasy XIV

Ashley Esqueda

Jan 15, 2013
Square-Enix Presses Reset with Final Fantasy XIV

Relaunching the Final Fantasy MMO debacle.

Read Full Article

TemperHoof

Jan 14, 2013
Don't forget that if you purchase the original game, you'll get this one free with perks and another free trial. Even if you felt cheated before, you can still give it another go at no additional risk to you when it comes to Open Beta and Launch. No one tell you whether you'll actually like the changes or not, but actually playing for yourself will allow you to judge. They intend to give you ample time to play without paying a dime, so there shouldn't be any real concern on your part Gone Gonzo.

IndomitableSam

Sep 6, 2011
I'm still having a hard time choosing betwen ESO and this. I'm waiting for more beta footage and such, but I played FFXI for a few years and loved it, and am at the point where I've got free time and the need for nostalgia. So it's a very, very tough choice. I've been following both MMOs closely to see who will get my money. My head says ESO may be better gameplay, but my heart misses the times I had in FFXI. So... please, please, please be good.

Edit: Benchmark score: 15492. I win. My sister is getting 2891 on her laptop, which will still run the game nicely, apparently. I love my beast.

digital warrior

Oct 17, 2008
Rare misstep? RARE? All the bravest, ff13 just all of it (yes i am aware some people liked it but when half your fanbase starts rejecting yes I qualify it as a misstep) the lazy ports, no its not rare anymore just par the course unfortunately.

Xenominim

Jan 11, 2011
I really would have thought after all this they would have come back relaunching it without the subscription and sticking to a paid shop like most games now. Unless this game just absolutely blows people away that could be a killing blow right there. 'Decent' just doesn't cut it anymore when it comes to subscription fees, wait too long between updates, don't have enough to do at high level right away, hell anything the community deems a problem and people don't feel they're getting their money's worth and take off. Go with a paid shop and they can keep dropping back in to spend a bit of cash for months and years to come.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Chocobo breeding, eh?

Honestly, I may give this a try, but after the debacle of the original release, I'm definitely waiting for public opinion before I dive into my wallet. They do get brownie points for razing that disaster to the ground and building from square(heh) one.

NameIsRobertPaulson said:
While the improvements may be nice, they lost a lot of good will by treating first release as a sort of paid beta. This will be another MMO World of Warcraft will be dining on, digesting, and pooing down Square's throat. Dead and buried within 2 years.
Wouldn't be too sure about that. Final Fantasy XI is still going strong after 11 years, and is apparently profitable enough on its subscription pay model that Squeenix is still making expansion packs for it(new one coming out this year). If FFXIV can capture that audience(no guarantee of that, naturally) then it should do just fine.

Lvl 64 Klutz

Crowsplosion!
Apr 8, 2008
The new team did an amazing job of salvaging version 1.0, so I can't wait to finally play the full-blown remake they were working on the entire time. SO MUCH HYPE!

Siege_TF

May 9, 2010
Did they fix the names along with everything else? Altana as my witness I'm not calling the damned catgirls anything other than 'Mithra'.

Exterminas

Sep 22, 2009
I am sure this game is going to do really well, as long as they intend to give free versions out to everyone who bought the first version and don't plan on taking on monthly subscriptions for a game that is basically the reincarnated version of an MMO-Hindenburg.

MMOs rely on the initial hype to get going, due to their social nature. If you start a new MMO and there aren't enough people around, people will become bored really fast. SE will have to work really hard to get people back on board for this.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
From what I've heard from people who've played ARR (who are not fanboys), it's a solid WoW clone with a FF feel and a few next-gen features (like the FATE system, aka dynamic events, and supposedly the ability to attack things that other players are fighting and still get credit--both of which are things that I just can't do without anymore after playing GW2). I don't care, and I imagine most FF MMO fans don't either, whether or not it's super innovative. All I want is ~immersion~ and, ideally, the sense of community and accomplishment that FFXI had, though I've recently become more or less convinced that you can't have either of those things in a game that's actually fun.

GW2 gives me 80% of what I want in an MMO (mostly fun), and the rest (the aforementioned immersion, community, and accomplishment) could either come from FFXIV or else is gone from the MMO genre forever. I know there's a market for that type of game, even if it's too small for most publishers to care about it at this point, and most of the people who want it either have played FFXI or are still playing it. Not many games cater to them anymore.

Unfortunately SE are still stuck in the old mindset that sub fee = guaranteed quality. Which doesn't bode well. Unless they're just pretending to believe that, and have actually made the choice because they believe that model will get them more money.

Also, I just want to see those male Miqo'te and female Roegadyn and Highlanders that I spent so long on the forums campaigning for, dammit.

The White Hunter

Basment Abomination
Oct 19, 2011
Urgh, I might be interested if it weren't for that monthly subscription that I just cannot afford to be paying.

Sorry Squeenix, gonna have to miss it.

SonOfMethuselah

Oct 9, 2012
Hm... Console version? Cross-platform accounts? Dynamic event systems? Completely re-tooled game world? This sounds interes...
Monthly subscription fee.
Oh. Nope, never mind. I'm out. After WoW, I refuse to pay a monthly subscription fee ever again. The amount of money you end up spending just accumulates too quickly. Plus - and I am sorry, Square - this game crashed and burned the first time, so I have no intentions of paying a monthly fee for anything until I know for a fact it won't do that again. Props go to you for not trying to hide it, but it's enough to turn me away, at least for now.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Squeenix MMO. *cringes*

FF11 was "Flowchart-the-job" masquerading as a game.
Unless they've taken emphasis away from the soul-crushing grind (extremely unlikely), nothing else matters.
There is literally no way you could make it appealing to me.

And what I saw of the initial FF14 suggests Squeenix just wants another subscription money-stream that requires little to no investment in matters of actual gameplay.

zaheela

Oct 8, 2010
Siege_TF said:
Did they fix the names along with everything else? Altana as my witness I'm not calling the damned catgirls anything other than 'Mithra'.
So what are the cathouse, mithro? To be fair, while the races are pretty much the same appearance wise, it's a new setting and the two different paths have some appearance differences.... So I'm not that concerned about the names and how well the game does post launch

Falterfire

Jul 9, 2012
Wait, Subscription? Are there any MMOs released in the past five years still operating with subscription fees? I mean if SWtOR couldn't make it despite being Star Wars, what hope does Squeenix have?

I could be wrong, but I'm thinking they'll drop the SubFee within a few months.

TJC

Aug 28, 2011
NameIsRobertPaulson said:
Free to Play within 6 months. Dead and buried within 2 years.
fixed that for you

Why does it seem like all the great companies of my youth (capcom, konami, squeenix, nintendo from time to time) start screwing the pooch so hard that it requires medical attention? Then again, back in the days they were only squaresoft and enix and both were awesome on their own but somehow awesome + awesome != 2awesome in this scenario :C

MattAn24

Pulse l'Cie
Jul 16, 2009
digital warrior said:
Rare misstep? RARE? All the bravest, ff13 just all of it (yes i am aware some people liked it but when half your fanbase starts rejecting yes I qualify it as a misstep) the lazy ports, no its not rare anymore just par the course unfortunately.
Half the fanbase? I'd like to know where you happened to pull that "fact" from. It was probably your arse. Considering reviews for FFXIII were *actually rather positive* and there just happened to be a *very* vocal minority who shat bricks for some reason. Majority of people completely ignored the horridness of the internet and give a hearty (but silent) "Fuck off." ;)

Drauger

Dec 22, 2011
Ehhhm...... it looks kind of "generic" mmorpg doesn't it?.....I'm still kind of interested, thye should try to add some events like DC universe example: a special event fight agains kefka? or the four elemental fiends?, but paid subscription? really? I'll rather continue playing Tera...... let's see what happens.

Munkerz

Mar 28, 2011
Regardless of whether I stick with it or not, at least they're offering a new trial month. I want this game to do well, but that's not saying much as I'm not one to wish ill on any developer who's actually made some effort, and after the balls-up of 1.0 they have certainly been trying.

The sub is a turn-off, but, I'm willing to give it that chance. And the moment I'm not having fun, or realise I don't have the time, or whatever, I'll drop the renewal. But it's getting that second chance at least.