Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

Kargathia

Jul 16, 2009
DanielBrown said:
I'm more bothered with the protagonists voice. What's happened to his throat?
He sounds a lot better before the whole augmentation thing, so I think we can reasonably conclude that some doctor accidentally left his tools (or watch) in his voicepipe.

NotSoLoneWanderer

Jul 5, 2011
I don't mind if things happen to come across as racist as an African (not African American) male but this sounds voiced this way on purpose.

Hugga_Bear

May 13, 2010
How is it racist? I mean...what?

Fuck people are dumb. Portraying a black person as poor is no more racist than portraying a white person as poor. I hate the fucking misuse of the word because it becomes meaningless, if this is racist then what are the KKK? Just racist too right? It's not racist, it's nothing. Yeah if every poor person were black then my eyebrows would certainly raise and I'd hope for some underlying commentary but just one person? GTFO.

Reminds me of the bollocks over RE5, shooting white people is fine but black people? Oh that's racist. Yup.

liquidsolid

Feb 18, 2011
Would all the people who cry "racism" be happier if there weren't any black people in the game at all? There would be no opportunity for "racial stereotypes" that way.

Jake0fTrades

Jun 5, 2008
I haven't played the game, but so long as she's not the only African-American in the game, I don't see the issue.

SenseOfTumour

Jul 11, 2008
Having every single black character in the game have some comedy stereotypical accent, that'd be racist.

Having characters who sound different to each other. Just no.

Some black people will sound a bit like that, just as if you really search you can find a tiny number of people in parts of london who sound like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins.

So long a game set in the UK wasn't entirely populated by cock-er-ney chimmerney sweeps, I'd have no problem with a few in there in the games East end levels.

TheAmokz

Apr 10, 2011
Ghengis John said:
I might also add, she's a trash lady, would it sell the character better if she spoke like an ivy-league graduate?
^^^^
THIS.

Evan Narcisse is the guy who is being racist.

Joseph Alexander

Jul 22, 2011
Carlston said:
Unless she breaks out in song of "Mamma's little baby."

It's nothing like black face.

Sorry it's not racial stereotyping being black, on the streets in a future of massive poverty.

Sounds like another special interest group looking for a dollar. Ignore um.

Course you want racists and stereotype...

When is the last time a GERMAN was in a name and NOT a nazi? Hmmmm?
TF2, hes the medic.
actually i think germans are usually cast as either nazis or doctors, which is an amusing dichotomy if you think about it.

Ipsen

Jul 8, 2008
Listening to this again, I can't see this as racist. Even if Letitia has a certifiably Southern American accent, there's no reason she cannot be from Detroit.

What DOES bug me about this interaction is that the two just don't seem like they'd ever speak on cordial terms, at least not without A LOT of history of cooperation. There is a sense of history between them, but they still seem to be speaking out of their own worlds. Adam still speaks like a gruff and defensively, while Letitia speaks with an upbeat, open, almost pleasant attitude. Perhaps it can be seen as both of their defense mechanisms, but I just found it jarring.

HyenaThePirate

Jan 8, 2009
EVERY SINGLE RELATIVE I have in the states sounds EXACTLY like her to the point that I didn't even notice the "offensive" accent. I'm black and I don't understand how ANY black person with family in detroit, chicago, or any place outside of New York for that matter, has the gall to be offended.

I think this dude was just LOOKING for an excuse to complain, since you can't create a black character to represent yourself.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
Good lord, this is the lamest shit I've heard in weeks. Whiners will whine about anything and EVERYTHING...

mattaui

Oct 16, 2008
The diversity police strikes again. Heaven forbid black people ever be portrayed as poor, uneducated criminals. I guess only dumb white rednecks are allowed. Of course, I guess it doesn't matter that the black couple taken hostage in the first mission are wealthy, powerful and educated?

This is what happens when you clothe yourself in identity politics and take all slights upon all people that share your race/class/culture/etc as a personal affront to you, regardless of the truth of the matter.

Of course, I've also been told by members of the professional victim racket that as a white person, I can't ever comment on such things, precisely because of my white skin.

That's totally not a double standard!

coolman9899

May 20, 2010
Ghengis John said:
Okay, so an easily offended lack man was just offended. It's not like I can't understand where hes's coming from but I live in california and I encounter people who speak like Letitia almost everyday. I was unware that I had traveled to another planet or utilized a time-machine. As a mexican american I'd say the game has a remarkable tact for displaying people as they really are, Cabron.

Of course the real damage here is that his rampant hyperbole is going to misrepresent the game to thousands of people who'll have no idea just how wrong he really is. Oh well.
Spice and Wolf Avatar?!?!?!?!?!?!?

OT: Yeaaaaaah I found that rather not racist cause its just a sterotype and people are bloody sterotyped all the time... besides If I drive to the Tim Hortans branch office, should I get pissy with them for including racial sterotypes in their commercials. No, then why should this person do it cause its in a game'.

LordRoyal

May 13, 2011
I found it a pretty funny racist stereotype though I'm surprised people are going crazy about it.

I mean games pull this shit all the time

Total LOLige

Jul 17, 2009
So is the deep south non-existent in the Deus Ex world? If it is then it is very probable that she just moved to where ever this is.
Also the fact that this dude bitched and moaned about black zombies in Resident Evil 5 says a lot, the game is set in Africa where the majority of the population is black.

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I kept expecting her to just come out and say got some water mellon, or beans and cornbread or something of that nature.

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
I was kind of thinking maybe the accent was a little offensive when I got to that point but then I thought well I've never been to Detroit or met anyone from there so what do I know.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Considering Time is doing its best to become more a trash mag every day, this doesn't surprise me. After watching that video I found myself trying not to laugh my ass off. I honestly have not encountered anyone like that and it made me feel I was watching something off of Nickelodeon or Cartoon Network.
Racist? Hell no. Silly and outrageous. Yes.

Mr. Narcisse needs to get over himself and move on.