Square Enix Responds to "Racist" Deus Ex Character

Helscreama

Nov 29, 2009
Ghengis John said:
I might also add, she's a trash lady, would it sell the character better if she spoke like an ivy-league graduate?
This was my first thought while reading the article.

I didn't see her and automaticly think "She's speaking like that because she's black"

I thought "She is homeless"

Why must people see racism everywhere?!?!

kouriichi

Sep 5, 2010
I am African american. I dont find this racist.

In fact, i LIVE in Detroit Michigan. I have for most of my life. I will tell you right now, i know half a dozen people who talk like that. Im related to several of them.

But it is great for a laugh.

Irony's Acolyte

Back from the Depths
Mar 9, 2010
RhombusHatesYou said:
Irony said:
So a black woman with a Southern accent who is not in the best position financially is racist?
With what she charges for information I'd hardly say she was in poor financial shape. Perhaps she's eccentric and likes rifling through bins.
I just figured that she was rifling through a bin and asking for money that she needed to scrounge for finances/food. It could just be she's an eccentric though.

Unhappy Crow

Mar 14, 2010
I found the way she greeted him laugh-my-ass-off funny. Truth be told, I didn't find this scene offensive. It was just funny.

dtthelegend

Oct 19, 2008
1. Im from Florida and people talk like this here. I actually find her performance
to be better than some of the other voice actors they hired. She sells me on the idea
that she is there in the future talking to him rather than in a recording studio talking
about where to find a group of prostitute kidnappers.

2. Ive been to Detroit present day and this is how people are! There are
people huddled around trashcan fires. they talk like this.They sleep on the
streets and hate the cops. This game comes off as genuine.

3. It would be more offensive to me if the streets were filled with all "proper white folk"
because you would be ignoring the population of people who are like this and, by not giving
representation to those people, it would be like saying that those people are not
important enough to be represented. which would come off as bad.

Moosejaw

Oct 11, 2010
The best solution to this problem and to anyone who gets 'offended' at something that doesn't hurt anyone is to ignore them! Unfortunately that is not going on here and it should be happening far more often. Give these sorts of cries attention and they'll find a racist under every rock.

Clive Howlitzer

Jan 27, 2011
I just started playing this game but as soon as I saw that character I KNEW someone would start a big deal about it.

FoolKiller

Feb 8, 2008
Cousin_IT said:
Sounds like Dave Chappelle.
Exactly... it sounds bad. The accent didn't bother me but it sounded more like a guy trying to sound like a chick. And she sounds older.

Iron Mal

Jun 4, 2008
Ghengis John said:
I might also add, she's a trash lady, would it sell the character better if she spoke like an ivy-league graduate?
Well this is a valid point to make, if the way she currently sounds isn't acceptable under grounds of it being 'racist' then what is acceptable exactly?

They could have given her any other accent and odds are on that someone would still have found something to complain about, if not with her character then with something (or someone) else in the game.

There are some people out there who just need something to complain about and unless they can suggest a way to actually improve it then pointless, petty complaining is all it probably is.

punipunipyo

Jan 20, 2011
um... THINK, if this voice is not used on a Afro-American character... would you have used a Chinese model? a White cowboy? it's just for plot sake, geez! calm down people, they want to show variety in there characters... no more, no less...

Kuth

Jan 14, 2009
I would possibly see an argument of this, if she was the only black chick to be seen in Detroit or the entire game. Guess what? That's not the game. One of the odd things I noticed when I played the game was how MANY blacks there were.

I am only giving out a rough guess but take a look at the streets, the locals, the Seriff security guards. How many blacks were there in Detroit alone? I would say a good number of them, hell you even saw a few with green mohawks. And when you hit China, did you see blacks there? Yes. There were blacks in nearly every node you were at and not a single one of those blacks were used to shown to be racist, just this one.

You can't point a trash rat black girl that sounds pretty much spot on(Source: people from the south and my own damn family) and say it's racist. It's not. It would be racist if she was the only black chick in the entire game, but she is far from that.

Deus Ex has possibly more blacks then I can recall and that's a first. If Letitia is the only black woman this person is going to ***** on, out of the sea of black people in the game, then this has got to be the worst attempt on political correctness I have ever seen.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
RollForInitiative said:
Honestly, she struck me as a pretty laughably racist stereotype when I ran into her. I was kind of surprised that they'd left her in. Am I offended? No, just surprised.
This.

I'm a black woman, and I don't get offended over racism - I just laugh at it. And this made me laugh and it did make me surprised. Do I think it is racist? Yes, I do. It's over the top and it's ridiculous.

But they can put it in their game if they want. It doesn't make me hate them for being racist, it makes me dislike them because they have awful design choices. The scene broke immersion.

kuth said:
You can't point a trash rat black girl that sounds pretty much spot on(Source: people from the south and my own damn family) and say it's racist. It's not. It would be racist if she was the only black chick in the entire game, but she is far from that.
Your logic makes no sense. It doesn't matter how many black people are in the game, there could be a thousand. None of that changes the fact that this character is ridiculous. You also admit the fact that if she was the only black character then it would be racist. Well, that means it's racist. That means you acknowledge the fact that this character is awful and is laughably racist. Racism surely must be judged on the qualities of the character and the way they are executed by the development team. It isn't judged by the number of people normal black people vs the number of ridiculous black people.

And you aren't the one who gets to define what is "racist". No one is. Obviously it isn't racist to you, because you're white. I know some black people who think that this isn't racist. I do think it is racist. Perception of racism is entirely subjective.

Bottom line, the character is ridiculous and is poorly acted. And yes, in my opinion, the rationale and execution of the character is slightly racist. I'm not offended, I'm amused that they somehow thought it was a good idea to leave such a poorly acted character in the game.

Lancer873

Oct 10, 2009
*sigh* Let's get one thing clear, folks. Including a stereotype, bringing it up, all of that, that's not racist. Saying that women tend to like dresses, that's not sexist. What is racist is when you claim all people of a race conform to that stereotype and refuse to accept that any could deviate from the stereotype, or that it in some way makes the race inferior to some other race. Some people need to get that idea. Yes, oriental people often get mixed up in translation and use "engrish." This isn't racist, this is a factual statement. There is a language barrier because the structure of oriental languages is fundamentally different from english, as are the pronunciations. Yes, many people of darker tones of skins tend to be poor, due to the fact that less than a century ago they were discriminated against. The existence of stereotypes does not constitute bigotry, and until we, as a society, can accept this, we're just going to have more attention whores like this crying racist whenever a stereotype pops up.

feeqmatic

Jun 19, 2009
As an African American i dont necessarily find it racists, but without playing the game and knowing the full purpose behind her character i do find it in bad taste. But for the most part im not all that concerned.

Not classy... but not worth getting angry over

AdumbroDeus

Feb 26, 2010
Heh?

When I listened to this I expected it to be a major throwback, like something I'd hear in a shirley temple movie (saying something like "oh lordie", like those movies always have african americans act).

What I got was modern ebonics.

I'm sorry, this type of speech is so prevalent (to greater or lesser degree depending on the individual) that people go out of their way to eradicate it.

ex: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X_KKLkmIrDk

Granted, it varies somewhat from area to area, but it's prominent in urban centers and I hear it all the time in NYC.

It's obviously not homogeneous and it's not everywhere, but it's definitely there.

SillyBear

May 10, 2011
Lancer873 said:
*sigh* Let's get one thing clear, folks.
If there is anything I would love to get clear, it would be the fact that your definition of racism is not law, and means next to nothing. You can't come in here and act like you wrote the text book on racism. It's an incredibly complex thing and everyone's definition is different. Just because someone has a different definition to you doesn't give you the right to bring in the old *siiiigh*s.

Lancer873 said:
Saying that women tend to like dresses, that's not sexist.
So it's not racist if I say black people tend to be illiterate and borderline retarded?

I think it is.