Square Enix: Social Gaming Is the Future

Aurgelmir

WAAAAGH!
Nov 11, 2009
mad825 said:
Aurgelmir said:
FloodOne said:
If multiplayer is going to be part of the Final Fantasy franchise going forward, I'm afraid that XIII will be my last purchase from this company.

Sucks for them, I've spent a lot of money on SE products through the years, but not anymore.
Well would a co-op Final Fantasy game be so bad? As long as you can play it single player also.
well seeing as you are picking out that a Co-op may be "good" then might I ask how it would work?

the only possable way that I can think while being deprived of sleep without redesigning the whole combat system is allowing temporary control of an NPC.

in combat it might work but they would have to create a time limit for the players so that it prevents them from hogging turns.

in the open world might fail a little, are you going to allow free walk where ever for the second player? is so then there will be a whole host of problems but if you try the alternative the second player (or more) are going to be bored to watching player 1 walking round
Oh but you are forgetting one thing:
Final Fantasy XIII was the last game of its kind (according to Imperial Hot)
Which means you have no idea what the next final fantasy game will be like.

as for hogging turns. How would you do that, since mist FF games used the ATB system which is tied to a per character timer, not the party.

All in all we have no idea what the next crap Square Enix makes will look like, all we know is that it most likely will not look like Final fantasy XIII

PS: I used ot be a big fan of Square, but lately they have been making games to much catered for a japanese playstyle, which doesn't fit me.

Miumaru

May 5, 2010
mad825 said:
Aurgelmir said:
FloodOne said:
If multiplayer is going to be part of the Final Fantasy franchise going forward, I'm afraid that XIII will be my last purchase from this company.

Sucks for them, I've spent a lot of money on SE products through the years, but not anymore.
Well would a co-op Final Fantasy game be so bad? As long as you can play it single player also.
well seeing as you are picking out that a Co-op may be "good" then might I ask how it would work?

the only possable way that I can think while being deprived of sleep without redesigning the whole combat system is allowing temporary control of an NPC.

in combat it might work but they would have to create a time limit for the players so that it prevents them from hogging turns.

in the open world might fail a little, are you going to allow free walk where ever for the second player? is so then there will be a whole host of problems but if you try the alternative the second player (or more) are going to be bored to watching player 1 walking round
Well, using FFXIII as an example, sharing the screen with one person using one and another using someone else, would work fine. The way FF games are changing their combat somewhat actually works with co-op, but yes, the traditional way turn based combat used to be would not work co-op well together.

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Farmville is a fad and these companies always seem to think they can nail the fads down and make a tonne of money, well, they can try, but I have doubts.

oranger

May 27, 2008
I think some devs have confused the farmville addicts for the majority of us gamers.
Most people who play farmville would never play a ps3 game.

Nothankyou

Oct 26, 2009
ItsAPaul said:
FF 8/9 card game or multiplayer blitzball on every version from now on would be BADASS.
Pft don't get me excited!! XD That would be the only way multiplayer would be good for the FF games.
Also a farmville FF sounds great...for my mother. She plays both. :/
I'd rather just play solo, please don't ruin single player Square.

Stormz

Jul 4, 2009
uuuuggghhhh I was hoping I was wrong, I really was. Why SE? Why are doing this? Well, won't be buying anymore of your new games from now on.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The comparatively (to most previous FF Titles) lukewarm reception of FF13...and now this.
Seems like a natural progression of events if you ask me.

If there is a silver lining, it's that setting up the network alone for these sorts of multiplayer-centric games is expensive. I've already seen their latest MMO in Fantasy Earth Zero, and it shows the new direction the company wants to take: They want nothing more than to produce stagnant, but profitable MMORPGs and ride it easy on minimum effort subscription profits.

I think we have maybe one more generation of console hardware before the last vestiges of old school gaming is stamped out for good.