Square Enix Trademarks Hitman: Absolution for Rumored E3 Reveal

Scott Bullock

Nov 11, 2010
Square Enix Trademarks Hitman: Absolution for Rumored E3 Reveal

After five years, the fifth game in the Hitman series could finally have a name.

It's been a well-known fact that the Hitman series is getting a fifth installment, but developer IO Interactive and publisher Square Enix have remained tight-lipped concerning any details on the game, including the title. However, with a recent filing with the OHIM (which I can't help but pronounce as "Oh, him"), the EU's trademark and copywrite division, Square Enix seems to have finally given us something to call the upcoming stealth game: Hitman: Absolution.

It certainly sounds like the title of a Hitman game, following in the vein of previous titles Silent Assassin, Contracts, and Blood Money. It also comes at an appropriate time, if the game is planned for a June E3 reveal, at which the recent Hitman ARG [http://www.hitmanforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=53301] seems to point.

The ARG also revealed what little information we have on the game, and when I say very little, I mean very little. Pretty much just that Agent 47, the protagonist of the previous games, will again be the lead role, so no surprises there. There's also been some speculation that the game will have something to do with Toronto, Canada, but it's not exactly what I would call solid.

A new Hitman game is certainly something to get excited about. The last one, Blood Money, game out in 2006, and introduced the staging of lethal 'accidents' and food poisonings to the series, which really makes you feel like a stealthy angel of death.

How do you top that? Allowing the player to rig up elaborate Rube Goldberg death machines?

Actually, that would be pretty awesome. You hear that, IO Interactive? Rube Goldberg death machines.

You're welcome.

Source: Joystiq [http://www.joystiq.com/2011/04/22/hitman-absolution-trademark-filed-by-square-enix/]

Deshin

Aug 31, 2010
*clears throat*

YES! Finally some info, I LOVE Hitman, I can't wait for more garrotty-goodness! :D this had made my month

Waaghpowa

Needs more Dakka
Apr 13, 2010
Best times I had in this game is where I was "The Ghost". I wonder how this one will end up being, but with that, I hope Square Enix doesn't cock it up.

NicoDK

Sep 21, 2009
I can't help but being sceptic. Looking at the failure that is kane and lynch 2, i fear square will fuck up the hitman series with a 3 hour long installment or some shit.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
NicoDK said:
I can't help but being sceptic. Looking at the failure that is kane and lynch 2, i fear square will fuck up the hitman series with a 3 hour long installment or some shit.
Don't blame Square. They didn't really influence the development. They're rather hands-off with their Western/Eidos studios, from what I hear.

That fail was all developer.

bbad89

Jan 1, 2011
Can't wait. Still playing Blood Money from time to time. One of my favorite games of ALLLLLLLLLLL time. I hope they bring back the almighty coin.

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Blood Money is one of the best games.

This is one of the few games I'm looking forward to without knowing anything about it.

Hungry Donner

Henchman
Mar 19, 2009
I just remembered I bought the Hitman pack during the holiday Steam sale and haven't played it yet, score!

Vrach

Jun 17, 2010
Deshin said:
*clears throat*

YES! Finally some info, I LOVE Hitman, I can't wait for more garrotty-goodness! :D this had made my month
Surely you mean "sniping/silencer-goodness"!

And agreed, one of my favourite franchises, it's waaaaaaaaay overdue :D

Really happy to see it too, considering Splinter Cell tossed away the stealth and.. well, quality, there's too few stealth franchises on the market these days :(

Tdc2182

May 21, 2009
Isn't Square Enix the company behind Final Fantasy games? Have they always had the Hitman franchise?

If not... then shit.

RobotNinja

Aug 2, 2009
Square Enix purchased Eidos after Blood Money came out. Luckily they tend to be a hands off publisher, so the game should (hopefully) be good quality.

_Janny_

Mar 6, 2008
Yikes, "Absolution"... I sure hope nothing bad will happen to 47. Getting killed or leaving after just four games would suck, IMO.

The Real Sandman

Oct 12, 2009
Hell.

Fucking.

YES!

*---List of Sequels That Are More Than Likely Not Gonna Be Made But Should---*
[small]-Beyond Good and Evil 2-
-Bully 2-
-Future Cop L.A.P.D. 2-
-Hitman 5-
-Prey 2-
-Psychonauts 2-
-TimeSplitters 4-
-Urban Chaos 2-
-Viewtiful Joe 3-[/small]

alrekr

Mar 11, 2010
The Real Sandman said:
Hell.

Fucking.

YES!

*---List of Sequels That Are More Than Likely Not Gonna Be Made But Should---*
[small]-Beyond Good and Evil 2-
-Bully 2-
-Future Cop L.A.P.D. 2-
-Hitman 5-
-Prey 2-
-Psychonauts 2-
-TimeSplitters 4-
-Urban Chaos 2-
-Viewtiful Joe 3-[/small]
Beyond Good and Evil 2 is meant to be actualy coming out... some time in the very distant future.

OT: JIZZ IN MY PANTS!