Square Enix Wants a New Final Fantasy Every Year

Robomega

Jul 19, 2011
People really need to brush up on their Final Fantasy history, because this wouldn't exactly be unprecedented for them.

Final Fantasy VII - 1997
Final Fantasy Tactics - 1998
Final Fantasy VIII - 1999
Final Fantasy IX - 2000
Final Fantasy X - 2001
Final Fantasy XI - 2003 (2002 in Japan)

For five years there was a major new title every year, with XI coming out only two years after X. It wasn't until XII that things started to slow down considerably.

And most people would say that that period between '97 and '01 was their best work, too.

King7s

Dec 13, 2009
New final fantasy every year,
Not new kingdom hearts every couple of years.
where the fuck is my KH3 Square fucking where?
and not that ds shit.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
NickCaligo42 said:
Crono1973 said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Crono1973 said:
NickCaligo42 said:
Right. Just like that. Only we get clones of FF13 instead of clones of FF7.
We didn't get clones of Final Fantasy 7. 8, 9 and 10 were all their own games (to their own detriment).
They're essentially based off the same turn-based combat, the same party dynamics, and the same exploration mechanics. They change up the metagame, yeah, but they're built on the same foundation. My argument is we'd get the same situation today, but FF13 would be our foundation this time--and it's a weak-ass foundation.
Those mechanics are JRPG mechanics and had nothing to do with the engine. In fact, the NES and SNES games had the same mechanics.
That's not really the point.
I think it will be ok. I think they can take more risks if they don't have to gamble everything on ONE big game per generation.

It's pretty sad that the NES saw three titles in 3 years. SNES saw three titles in 3 years. PS1 saw three titles in 3 years but with the PS2 began the slowdown with only 3 titles (not counting MMO's) in 5 years and this generation we have seen only ONE title in 5 years. If XIII-2 doesn't get delayed that's 2 titles in the longest console generation yet.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Robomega said:
People really need to brush up on their Final Fantasy history, because this wouldn't exactly be unprecedented for them.

Final Fantasy VII - 1997
Final Fantasy Tactics - 1998
Final Fantasy VIII - 1999
Final Fantasy IX - 2000
Final Fantasy X - 2001
Final Fantasy XI - 2003 (2002 in Japan)

For five years there was a major new title every year, with XI coming out only two years after X. It wasn't until XII that things started to slow down considerably.

And most people would say that that period between '97 and '01 was their best work, too.
Most people don't count Tactics because it's a spin-off or XI because it's an MMO. In the same light, most people don't say World of Warcraft is Warcraft 4.

vfaulkon

Jul 21, 2008
I've heard it said that series has been going downhill since all the original talent has since left for other companies, but I was willing to stand up for Squeenix - they have made some good games and I liked XII and even X-2 (gameplay-wise, anyway), so I was content to let XIII go by as a failed experiment, like II (JP) was. I was willing to overlook the emphasis on sequels they seem so fond of, in spite of how mediocre many of those games were.

But this? This is just...no. Releasing a game every year is not always a good idea. I mean yeah, CoD and AC do it, but so does Dynasty/Samurai Warriors and Madden (and much as I love me some Dynasty Warriors, those games aren't exactly polished). And you want to do that with a series that has been known for 25 years for its lengthy, complex stories and top-of-the-line audiovisuals?

I mean, they're welcome to try - I sure can't stop them - but this does not seem anywhere near the vicinity of a good idea...

EDIT: Robomega makes a valid point in terms of Square having done this before, and I did like all those games (though 8's praise comes with a few caveats IMO). Maybe forcing the dev team to a stricter timeline can yield results, but I still believe they need to try and win back some of the fanbase's confidence after XIII's lackluster reception and the whole FFXI-2...I'm sorry, "FFXIV" debacle.

I guess a wait-and-see approach will be appropriate for the time being. This philosophy (if it goes into effect) could either whip the devs back into shape or turn FF into a cheap, mass-produced pile of bleh. I'm not optimistic, but hey, it could work out...I hope.

Infernai

Apr 14, 2009
At this rate, we'll be getting FF games that are so linear they'll make 13 look like fucking Oblivion by comparison.

Part of me wants to scream out to them to make a darker style Final Fantasy that's rather morally ambiguous ala Drakengard with more old school style gameplay...but seeing as I'm already in the process of writing the story and script for such a game I'd prefer not to sully my chances and simply say that Enix need to do something different with the character archtypes that they have for their games.

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
If this results in more Tactics games then great. If this results in more games with the -# (FFX-2 being an example) or games with the story and structure of XIII then FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Infernai said:
At this rate, we'll be getting FF games that are so linear they'll make 13 look like fucking Oblivion by comparison.
Pretty sure that creating 60 hours worth of linear gameplay (ie, no backtracking) takes alot more work (and money) than making an open world and filling those 60 hours with quests and a user generated story. I wonder how much a game like Skyrim costed compared to a cinematic, linear game like Final Fantasy XIII.

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
As long as they focus on level design and character design instead of graphics and FMV's, then I'm all for it.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
It's strange how Bethesda makes a game every 3 years or so, yet it has enough money to buy up id and a half dozen other companies....

Gosh, it couldn't be because they make good games that sell... could it?

MegaManOfNumbers

Mar 3, 2010
Oh Sh*t. Unless this means we're getting FF Versus 13 soon or Kingdom Hearts 3 comes out next year this will end BADLY.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Omnific One said:
It's strange how Bethesda makes a game every 3 years or so, yet it has enough money to buy up id and a half dozen other companies....

Square Enix makes mediocre games that sell. As bad as Final Fantasy XIII was, it sold 6 million copies. That's alot of money.

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Square, all of your talent left the company a long, LONG time ago. All you have left are talentless, yes-men hacks like Kitase and Toriyama (the latter of whom wrote one of the most sexist games I've EVER seen) who need to go away.

Omnific One

Apr 3, 2010
Crono1973 said:
Omnific One said:

Square Enix makes mediocre games that sell. As bad as Final Fantasy XIII was, it sold 6 million copies. That's alot of money.
It was riding the nostalgia wave. I expect XIII-2 to sell under 4.5 million copies; gonna be a lot harder to convince people this time.

Plus 13 had a very long dev period, even if it didn't come out as expected. Imagine what will happen if they do the same thing, but compressed down to one year dev time. Not pretty.

NickCaligo42

Oct 7, 2007
Crono1973 said:
I think it will be ok. I think they can take more risks if they don't have to gamble everything on ONE big game per generation.

It's pretty sad that the NES saw three titles in 3 years. SNES saw three titles in 3 years. PS1 saw three titles in 3 years but with the PS2 began the slowdown with only 3 titles (not counting MMO's) in 5 years and this generation we have seen only ONE title in 5 years. If XIII-2 doesn't get delayed that's 2 titles in the longest console generation yet.
That I can agree with, certainly. I don't see anything wrong with them scaling back on things a bit, and more stringent deadlines will hopefully teach them to focus and not over-scope. I just worry about who's going to be behind the wheel.

Aeonknight said:
Games they've released within the last 5 years:

Crisis Core from 2007, sold a good 350,000 copies. Nothing huge, but was definately not a bad game (alot of people like it more than FF7 now)
Not me. Way too much of Nomura's self-indulgence. I'll acknowledge it was a decent game, though, even if the existentialist junk isn't really to my taste.

Still, 350,000 copies isn't really what you'd call "good." Generally speaking under 500,000 is considered "commercial failure and/or flop." As a handheld Crisis Core gets some leeway, but... they spent on it like it was a full-blown console game. Probably why there's a tinge of panic in Wada's press releases of late, and why there's supposedly a ton of friction between him and Nomura.

Dissidia, the first one sold 1 million copies back in '09. Enough to warrant a sequel:

Dissidia Duodecim, released a little over a year ago, didn't sell AS well, but still outsold the 3DS in terms of first week sales.
In point of fact I bought my PSP for them.

For those games, I will grant you that those are fine sales. The production scope was controlled enough that it could probably get away with under half that and still turn a tidy profit.

Then there's Kingdom hearts. Specifically Birth by Sleep. Released a little over a year ago, 800,000+ in japan alone.
Again, they spent on it like a full-blown console game. It probably came off more profitably for them than Crisis Core, but I have a difficult time believing they made enough to pay Leonard Nimoy.

If I'm being more serious, though, egh, the Kingdom Hearts franchise is in big trouble with regards to its sustainability. For one, look what worlds they had to force action into in Birth by Sleep. They ran out of ideas a long time ago.

More importantly to their future sales, though, think what happened with Chain of Memories and KH2 (most people didn't play Chain of Memories and had no idea what was going on), then think about that three times over with KH3. To put this in perspective? Most people who aren't hardcore KH fans don't know about Birth by Sleep. They still think the trailer at the end of KH2 was for KH3.

Truth is, Square's narrowcasted the ever-loving shit out of this thing by spreading it across every system imaginable, and it's going to bite them in the hump like nothing else when they finally do get the balls to do a mainstream release and spend a big wad on it, mark my words.

Then there's that game that everyone seems to think is a failure, FF13. Released a year ago... again. 6.2 million copies worldwide.
Short-term it's the fastest-selling Final Fantasy game in history. Fastest-selling, but not best-selling. Pretty well in keeping with their usual numbers for an "average" title in the series, which is still better than most major productions. Trouble is, I don't think they made their money back even with 6.2 million copies--at least, not enough of it. The game still took about four years to make--four years of stagnation on a team of three hundred people, which is bloody fucking enormous. This ranks it among the biggest productions of game development history, and whether you like the game or not it's difficult to justify based on the product turned out.

Before I go long-term, I want to address some other comments.

Yes, they absolutely BOMBED on FF14. Quite possibly a bigger flop than the Spirits Within movie.
Hard to say without a concrete idea of what the budget was like for that game, but I'm willing to bet you're right. At this point they've probably lost a mint on maintaining it for the few people who do play it.

But they still have a relatively decent track record I'd say. Those are not CoD or Skyrim sales numbers by any means, but they're holding their own for the time being. All it takes is a good game into the main series to put them back on top again. I still have some faith in em.
Getting back to FF13...

Thing is, they used to pretty consistently make Call of Duty or Skyrim sales numbers. In fact, they epicly outsold any Western RPG franchise. FF7 and 10 are among "best-selling of all time" titles at about 10,million units apiece. That's up there with Call of Duty, Super Mario World, and Guitar Hero. The fact that a game that cost them many times the respective budgets of FF7 and 10 to build cracked in at around half that doesn't bode very well for them. Probably why they really ought to do what they're talking about here and try to be a bit more disciplined with their productions.

Long-term, it's a bit too soon to judge how the fanbase is going to deal with it... but I'm honestly much more concerned with how Square themselves are going to deal with it. Yoichi Wada reacted maybe the most sensibly, saying "this business model isn't sustainable and we've got to do something about this right now," but he may push into over-compensating by trying to "westernize" too much.

Plus, as many have pointed out, Square's production teams have already been spread way too thin; among the games you pointed out, four of them were simultaneous projects under Tetsuya Nomura's oversight, along with several others, including Versus 13, The World Ends With You, and other Kingdom Hearts spinoffs. It's a situation that, from what I understand, he's very fed up with--and at this point for Square losing Nomura, who is essentially the company's face, would be an incredible loss.

And then there's Motomu Toriyama, the guy who's likely to end up directing future Final Fantasy titles. The genius who brought us FFX-2 and FF13; who has reacted very stubbornly to criticism against his baby. I'll be perfectly clear on this right now: I really hate this ************. I feel like he can't rub two sticks together and have no confidence in his ability to direct a game. He sees storytelling as being mutually exclusive from interaction and exploration, is prone to making excuses for his mistakes, and as FF13 has shown he makes for a very weak project manager; case in point, the game spent three years stagnating in development hell with the team unable to cooperate on either the story or design direction; both points that were meant to be his final say; before he finally threw up his hands and said, "screw it! We'll just make it up as we go along." As long as THIS GUY is in charge of the series? I don't see any good coming of it.

Epona

Elite Member
Jun 24, 2011
Country
United States
Omnific One said:
Crono1973 said:
Omnific One said:

It was riding the nostalgia wave. I expect XIII-2 to sell under 4.5 million copies; gonna be a lot harder to convince people this time.

Plus 13 had a very long dev period, even if it didn't come out as expected. Imagine what will happen if they do the same thing, but compressed down to one year dev time. Not pretty.
I think that extremely long dev cycle doomed the game. Even if it were the second coming of Morrowind(LOL), expectations were too high. How many times have you heard people say "we waited 5 years for this?"

People didn't like Final Fantasy VIII, that's ok though because IX was only a year behind it.

Dreadman75

Jul 6, 2011
Shut up and give me Versus XIII already Square Enix! Sheesh! At this point I'm not entirely unconvinced that Versus XIII isn't just a publicity stunt designed to get people to pay attention to Square and will never get released.

Not to mention the fact that we STILL don't have any information on Kingdom Hearts III. Just what are the execs over there thinking?!

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
Dreadman75 said:
Shut up and give me Versus XIII already Square Enix! Sheesh! At this point I'm not entirely unconvinced that Versus XIII isn't just a publicity stunt designed to get people to pay attention to Square and will never get released.

Not to mention the fact that we STILL don't have any information on Kingdom Hearts III. Just what are the execs over there thinking?!
More like "when is Nomura going to stop wanking off to fashion magazines and actually direct a game for a change?"

emeraldrafael

Jul 17, 2010
I think in the long run this would actually be a bad idea. Not cause quality would (likely) suffer (cause game companies could honestly really give less of a shit about quality), but because the profits would eventually wain and lack. Probably the biggest thing they have now going for them is the hype that comes with these years in between.