Square Enix Wants Console Experiences on Mobile Platforms

AgentLampshade

Nov 9, 2009
Zato-1 said:
you won't be making Devil May Cry for iOS
They actually did that. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_4#iOS_version]

OT: I've never been into portable games because I've never seen the point. I've borrowed a PSP from a friend in order to play Birth By Sleep, and ended up doing it at home, in full view of the console. I don't see the point of buying portable games [footnote]From a consumers point of view. I imagine it's much cheaper to develop for but I don't know much about it.[/footnote] if I'm just going to play it at home. Yeah, I could play it outside, but then I'd just get called anti-social or whatever. Besides, it's hard to get into the story of a game if I'm on a crowded bus full of old people. Smelly old people.

Even more OT: Couldn't give less of a shit. The XIII sequels should've been mobile games whilst you worked on games people actually want.

Ratties

May 8, 2013
Don't understand why Square won't bring back some of it's older franchises. Really getting sick seeing all this Final Fantasy crap. Alright Square we get it, you had some good Final Fantasy games. Get to work on these games instead, put some damn effort into it.

Here is what I want to see.

Einhander 2.
Secret of Evermore 2.
Another Secret/Legend of Mana game.
The Bouncer 2.
Another Chrono Cross/Trigger game.

Okay pick one. Know I really liked Dragon Quest 8, make another Dragon Quest game.

WhiteTigerShiro

Sep 26, 2008
See, it's this kind of blowing smoke up our asses that bugs me about executives. What exactly is a "console experience"? Because when I think "console experience", I think of relaxing on the couch, controller in hand, and just getting lost for the whole night. You simply cannot replicate that on a tiny little touchscreen. Sure you can lose track of the time, but on a screen that small you just can't get "lost" inside the gaming world like when you have a full-size television in front of you.

Ratties said:
Don't understand why Square won't bring back some of it's older franchises. Really getting sick seeing all this Final Fantasy crap. Alright Square we get it, you had some good Final Fantasy games. Get to work on these games instead, put some damn effort into it.

Einhander 2.
Secret of Evermore 2.
The Bouncer 2.

Okay pick one. Know I really liked Dragon Quest 8, make another Dragon Quest game.
Honestly don't know much about Einhander, I would venture to guess that it was just a one-off title that didn't sell well enough to merit further interest. Secret of Evermore was panned for not being "good enough" to be a Squaresoft game (mostly because it was developed by a different team than most people were used to seeing work from). The Mana series died with its PSX entry, mostly because Square was so obsessed with experimenting with new formulas in their games that they insisted on shoehorning them into established franchises rather than have a throw-away series to test the waters. The Bouncer, while having a charm of its own, sold horribly and didn't make that much of a splash in the gaming scene. Heck, I was one of the few people who loved the game, and even I tend to forget it existed until some random mention of it comes along. As for the Chrono series, I don't really know what happened to it, but Yasunori has commented that there are "a lot of politics" behind why there hasn't been another one.

Random Argument Man

May 21, 2008
I like the idea of bringing something bigger and better to a medium which people have been accusing of not doing enough. (Heck, most of them haven't played one mobile game in their lives. Hating for the sake of hating has always been something on the Internet).

Although, I'd rather see this company getting itself back on its feet. I'm not saying this plan is a bad plan, but I'd be happy if Squareenix managed to make me utter the words "Do want".

Ratties

May 8, 2013
WhiteTigerShiro said:
See, it's this kind of blowing smoke up our asses that bugs me about executives. What exactly is a "console experience"? Because when I think "console experience", I think of relaxing on the couch, controller in hand, and just getting lost for the whole night. You simply cannot replicate that on a tiny little touchscreen. Sure you can lose track of the time, but on a screen that small you just can't get "lost" inside the gaming world like when you have a full-size television in front of you.

Ratties said:

Einhander 2.
Secret of Evermore 2.
The Bouncer 2.

Honestly don't know much about Einhander, I would venture to guess that it was just a one-off title that didn't sell well enough to merit further interest. Secret of Evermore was panned for not being "good enough" to be a Squaresoft game (mostly because it was developed by a different team than most people were used to seeing work from). The Mana series died with its PSX entry, mostly because Square was so obsessed with experimenting with new formulas in their games that they insisted on shoehorning them into established franchises rather than have a throw-away series to test the waters. The Bouncer, while having a charm of its own, sold horribly and didn't make that much of a splash in the gaming scene. Heck, I was one of the few people who loved the game, and even I tend to forget it existed until some random mention of it comes along. As for the Chrono series, I don't really know what happened to it, but Yasunori has commented that there are "a lot of politics" behind why there hasn't been another one.
Einhänder had sold 50,000 copies three days after its release, and sold 100,000 copies as of February 1999. Got good reviews by critics.

Secret of Evermore got favorable reviews from critics as well. It was the one game where everybody was kind of waiting for another one. It sold fairly well.

WeepingAngels

May 18, 2013
Sir Christopher McFarlane said:
I hope "mobile devices" includes dedicated gaming portables.
I would love some of that FFV remake on my 3DS.
I doubt it. I guess Square Enix doesn't want my money because I don't own any mobile devices that can play games. I do own all the consoles and a Vita and 3DS.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
AgentLampshade said:
Zato-1 said:
you won't be making Devil May Cry for iOS
They actually did that. [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Devil_May_Cry_4#iOS_version]

OT: I've never been into portable games because I've never seen the point. I've borrowed a PSP from a friend in order to play Birth By Sleep, and ended up doing it at home, in full view of the console. I don't see the point of buying portable games if I'm just going to play it at home. Yeah, I could play it outside, but then I'd just get called anti-social or whatever. Besides, it's hard to get into the story of a game if I'm on a crowded bus full of old people. Smelly old people.

Even more OT: Couldn't give less of a shit. The XIII sequels should've been mobile games whilst you worked on games people actually want.
I've found the PSP/PS Vita is great for the 30-45min train ride to work (and the same back), so they have their uses.