Square Enix: Xbox 360 Will "Increase Its Japanese Market Presence"

Logan Frederick

Aug 19, 2006
Square Enix: Xbox 360 Will "Increase Its Japanese Market Presence"

Kingdom Hearts 2 producer Shinji Hashimoto is expecting "the Xbox 360 to increase its Japanese market presence" with the help of Square's Eastern role-playing games.

Microsoft's strategy for invading the Eastern world has been based on a dual strike of price cuts (the Xbox 360 is currently the cheapest current generation console [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/86021-Xbox-360-Now-Cheapest-Console-in-Japan] in the country) and Japanese third-party support for the platform. Square Enix, being one of the lead Japanese developers for all platforms, is supporting the Xbox 360's worldwide initiatives with its own new products; Star Ocean 4 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/conferences/tgs_2008/5343-TGS-2008-Hands-On-Star-Ocean-The-Last-Hope] and The Last Remnant both took public positions in Microsoft's Tokyo Game Show booth.

"We expect the Xbox 360 to increase its Japanese market presence even more in the coming months," said Hashimoto. "There is a growing interest in Xbox 360 among Japanese users, due to the release of familiar titles, the increasing appeal of overseas titles, and the excellent reputation of the Xbox 360's network services."

Square Enix's additions to the Xbox 360 library aren't so much dealings with Microsoft as they are internal attempts to broaden Square's sales worldwide.

Hashimoto commented, "We would not make decisions regarding hardware based solely on the Japanese user base. [Star Ocean 4, Last Remnant and Infinite Undiscovery] were developed with the global market in mind, so by releasing them on the Xbox 360, which enjoys a high market share in the United States and Europe, we are hoping to gain more recognition from this large user base."

Surely Square Enix is watching its bottom line, but the inadvertent assistance to Microsoft must be appreciated. Both companies are hoping that the press from major announcements such as the Final Fantasy XIII for the Xbox 360 [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/85007-E3-2008-Microsofts-Big-Guns] E3 shocker will translate into profits on both ends.

Source: Edge [http://www.edge-online.com/magazine/japan%E2%80%99s-360-turnaround?page=0%2C0]

Dectilon

Sep 20, 2007
Sony will have to watch it now. If they stay arrogant their reign might be at an end, even on home soil : /

Sounds crazy, but similar things have happened!

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Man I honestly thought Microsoft would always have a problem getting XBox sales in Japan, seems like the times are a-changing.

stompy

Jan 21, 2008
Dectilon said:
Sony will have to watch it now. If they stay arrogant their reign might be at an end, even on home soil : /

I think their arrogance this generation was the reason for their lacklustre sales in the beginning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nintendo go through something similar with the Gamecube?

Booze Zombie

Dec 8, 2007
Considering how Sqaure Enix are like gods in Japan... some well timed games could make up for it all, actually.

Fenring

Sep 5, 2008
Whats the current market share percentages? Just wondering, don't need an exact estimate, just an approximation.

GloatingSwine

Nov 10, 2007
Dectilon said:
Err, it already is. Or are you one of those funny people who discounts the Wii on the basis that it sells too much and is obviously powered by witchcraft or something?

Whats the current market share percentages?
In Japan, 70% Wii, 23% PS3, 8% Xbox, roughly.

shatnershaman

May 8, 2008
It will increase its presence in Japan for every new console it sells in Japan. Very perceptive Square Enix./sarcasm

y8c616

May 14, 2008
stompy said:
Dectilon said:

I think their arrogance this generation was the reason for their lacklustre sales in the beginning. Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Nintendo go through something similar with the Gamecube?
i aggree on the gamecube matter. And sony kinda bankend on the ps2 to shift the ps3. i still dont think the 360 will win over japan, like the ps3 wont top the 360 in the US. Still, teh ps3 has just surpassed the 360 in the PAL region, with an installed user base of 300k more than the 360