Stadia is shutting down, to the surprise of nobody

Gergar12

Elite Member
Legacy
Apr 24, 2020
Country
United States
I sold mine along time ago. It was okay on a 4K TV. Google is a giant quitter.

Gordon_4

The Big Engine
Legacy
Apr 3, 2020
Australia
I sold mine along time ago. It was okay on a 4K TV. Google is a giant quitter.
Okay, why should Google support a dead platform? They attempted to release a product to market; the market overall showed disinterest at best, and outright hostility in some cases. Commentators both professional and enthusiast largely dunked on it with as much mockery as their platforms would allow.

Google is under no obligation to keep an unpopular product going for the fifty people who like it. At least they’re giving back the early adopters their money.

I mean fucking hell, if the announcement was them throwing more money into the pit that was Stadia they’d be getting criticised for trying to boost a failed product no one wants.

Pick a fucking lane, techies.

Elvis Starburst

Unprofessional Rant Artist
Legacy
Aug 9, 2011
Okay, why should Google support a dead platform? They attempted to release a product to market; the market overall showed disinterest at best, and outright hostility in some cases. Commentators both professional and enthusiast largely dunked on it with as much mockery as their platforms would allow.
I feel this issue stems from Google not committing to many things they make for very long, or making too many similarly designed projects and launching them along their already existing products. For the standouts like gmail, maps, etc, their bread and butter... those are here to say. But with a lot of other projects they come up with that people enjoy, they cut them down not too long after.

Granted, some of these changes are from Google consolidating these features into other products that exist. But that's the problem... If Google actually bothered to back up their own shit and showed confidence in their products, and simply add features to the ones that already exist, people would follow suit. But Google now has a reputation of killing off a lot of what they make and splintering their userbases across several different products that act similar to one-another. Why would anyone have faith in their future works with that kind of reputation?

It's a cycle that Google has helped create. It isn't like they can't afford to support half of this stuff, or put in the money to R&D a real winner of a product they intend to keep around. The unfortunate reality is they usually don't, likely due to wanting to keep their costs lower. But the dart-board approach isn't working, and the audiences have spoken time and again

Last edited:
Reactions: Gergar12

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010

Google is under no obligation to keep an unpopular product going for the fifty people who like it. At least they’re giving back the early adopters their money.

I mean fucking hell, if the announcement was them throwing more money into the pit that was Stadia they’d be getting criticised for trying to boost a failed product no one wants.

Well as network improve the viability of the product will increase and it might eventually get to the point where it'll be fully viable. The money they spend on it is already gone but they might have been able to recoup cost in like a decade or so. Keeping it on life support in the meantime would have allowed them to react quickly and keep other company at bay.

Reactions: Gergar12

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
And nothing of value was lost.

Honestly, I forgot that this thing existed until someone would occasionally bought it up. And then I'd swiftly forget about it again.

And I imagine I'll forget about it again once this news blows over.

The Rogue Wolf

Stealthy Carnivore
Legacy
Nov 25, 2007
Stalking the Digital Tundra
Granted, some of these changes are from Google consolidating these features into other products that exist. But that's the problem... If Google actually bothered to back up their own shit and showed confidence in their products, and simply add features to the ones that already exist, people would follow suit. But Google now has a reputation of killing off a lot of what they make and splintering their userbases across several different products that act similar to one-another. Why would anyone have faith in their future works with that kind of reputation?
Google's got a long history of swaggering up with promises of "changing the face of the industry", and then stubbing its toe on a rock and running away to hide in a corner. Google Fiber would say "hi" if it wasn't basically comatose.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Google Fiber would say "hi" if it wasn't basically comatose.
I forgot that even existed until you mentioned it. Which only further highlights the problem with Google. I wonder what the next disaster going to be. Another grave to be filled.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dalisclock

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010

The underlying contention of it all might just be the ineptitude of leadership in making the decision to start the bloody thing in the first place. They were merely bandwagon reacting to the latest trend kinda like all the motion control stuff from Nintendo’s contemporaries after the success of the Wii.

As a comparison, people have scoffed at 3D movies over the last decade+ but it takes someone like Jim Cameron to actually put in the time, money and effort to do something worthwhile with it. Chances are he’ll prove it again with the Avatar sequel, if his track record is any indication.

Last edited:
Reactions: Xprimentyl

Chimpzy

Simian Abomination
Legacy
Escapist +
Apr 3, 2020
Obligatory mention of this site

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
In another thread I gave Google credit for offering refunds. But that was before I saw that all the devs and partners were blindsided by it, people fired etc. Well one hand if we're not surprised by this I don't know why they weren't either but that aside, that is pretty messed up on Google's part so they deserve mockery.

What's annoying to me is, there should be nothing inherently wrong with a company trying something and it failing. We should be encouraging new things. Surely there could be a way to innovate and try stuff without screwing over workers and consumers.

*remembers capitalism* oh wait lol nevermind...

Reactions: BrawlMan

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
As a comparison, people have scoffed at 3D movies over the last decade+ but it takes someone like Jim Cameron to actually put in the time, money and effort to do something worthwhile with it. Chances are he’ll prove it again with the Avatar sequel, if his track record is any indication.
The problem with 3D was even after Cameron did something better and the best with it, most others didn't do much with it other than mediocrity, or trying to prevent people from pirating a movie. Most of it was your typical conversion 3D, and a majority of that was not that good. I know by the time 2013 rolled around, I was more than sick of 3D and would always pick a non 3D showing when available.

This is the other reason why I'm not looking forward to the sequel. Because the same crap is going to happen all over again. Cameron will do radar for Hector 3D even further, and you'll have a few good ones but most of them will be crap or just be your typical conversion 3D that does nothing but waste space and the energies on the audiences eyes. Not looking forward to it.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
The underlying contention of it all might just be the ineptitude of leadership in making the decision to start the bloody thing in the first place. They were merely bandwagon reacting to the latest trend kinda like all the motion control stuff from Nintendo’s contemporaries after the success of the Wii.
Good call. The biggest problem with Stadia is that Google didn't differentiate themselves where it really mattered. Effectively, the basket they put all their eggs into was one of "you get less for a lower price." Yeah, you didn't need to pay $500 to get in, potentially saving yourself some shelf space for the houseplant you've been shuffling around for years, but after that, it was the same nonsense with less utility, i.e.: $60 games from a limited library, the "ownership" of which is completely reliant upon a connection to the internet through their very specific channels. They tried to sell renting as a convenience over a mortgage, but showed up with mortgage prices. It was completely stupid.

Had they come in with their "streaming only" gimmick and games were half price, free with the subscription to the service, or if they had some seriously killer exclusives, Stadia could have thrived, but given it was just another outlet for an already "tired of being leeched" community of gamers, well, better the devil you know, and Stadia died on the vine as it should have. The innovation gaming needs now is quality of content for the asking price, not more of the same less a console.

Farewell, Stadia; I hardly knew ye, and I'm fucking glad I didn't.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
Stadia is proof zombies are real because it was always dead yet it twitched and wobbled like as if it was alive.

Reactions: Mister Mumbler

Old_Hunter_77

Elite Member
Dec 29, 2021
Country
United States
But for real though, both Stadia and Netflix's game offers do seem in theory to be great- play cool stuff wherever, on your phone even! And there's a lot of reaction about poor leadership and marketing and I'm not saying that ain't true, but also- maybe nobody really just gives a shit about that. Maybe it's ok that big splashy deep games are on a dedicated machine plugged into your TV and your phone is for matching 3 red balls.

Xprimentyl

Made you look...
Legacy
Aug 13, 2011
Plano, TX
Country
United States
But for real though, both Stadia and Netflix's game offers do seem in theory to be great- play cool stuff wherever, on your phone even! And there's a lot of reaction about poor leadership and marketing and I'm not saying that ain't true, but also- maybe nobody really just gives a shit about that. Maybe it's ok that big splashy deep games are on a dedicated machine plugged into your TV and your phone is for matching 3 red balls.
Stadia was the "solution" to a "problem" that wasn't a problem. Given the climate of gaming over the past several years, I think the last thing anyone was troubled over was the need for a console/PC to play modern games. If anything in that vein, it has been trying to make consoles as functional as/competitive with PCs, not that consoles needed to go away so we could all game from the Cloud.

Stadia reminds me of those $19.99 product commercials that overdramatize the hassles one might experience with a typical product with grey-washed footage of some "every man" fussing with it only to go to full color to show how their new product rectifies all of said hassles. Stadia should have been sold out of mall kiosks, and not tried to be taken seriously as a competitor with the likes of Xbox, PlayStation, Nintendo and PCs.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
In an ideal world, yes. I will give Netflix credit for offering a better deal by comparison, even if they're still having some trouble. I'm happy for them and everything, but it's a service I know I definitely don't need. And given the numbers, a good amount of people feel the same last I checked.